Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a full set of Rhino 2.0 shafts for my 2023 eS. I figured I would upgrade before I broke one, and then have a full set of spares. The prices Kawi wants for stock axles is laughable. My problem is that they don’t seem to fit.

I’ve only tried one axle, but the outside of the CV is contacting the protrusion on the rear diff before the interior clip engages. The Rhino axle was built with a recess where the seal would ride. From what I’m seeing at the moment, these axles simply won’t work in my machine.

Did Kawi change axle housing designs in 23? I thought the only major change was the clutch. Any thoughts?

Rhino Left, Stock Right

Slight dirt mark where the contact is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems pretty clear that either Kawi or SuperATV changed something. There is clear conflict between the outside of the CV and the trans/diff casting. Looks like I get to explore what it’s going to take to return these axles and then just hope I don’t break one while out at KOH.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stub is the same length and circumference, and the splines do engage. It isn’t bottoming out internally, evidenced by grease remaining untouched on end of shaft.

The issue seems to be that the Rhino shaft protrudes “inwards” towards the diff (top circle) so that the outside diameter of the CV joint contacts the transmission casting before the splines slide fully in to engage the circlip. The OEM shafts are flush at the face where the seal wiper rides. The base of the splines, where the seal rides, is almost fully wiped of grease on a OEM shaft when installed/removed. You can see in the bottom circle that there is almost 1/4” more of seal surface yet to engage on the Rhino shaft, which happens to coincide with the depth of that recess created on the Rhino shaft.

I’m wondering if they manufactured the shaft with the wrong CV end. The part number on the box matches the part number listed for the left rear, which is where I was attempting to install this shaft.

I haven’t opened any of the other shafts to see what they look like. It seems like I’m going to need to get these pictures to the SuperATV tech people to see what they say. I just don’t see how there is any possible way this axle fits in the location specified. It would be plunging the splines when the suspension cycles instead of plunging within the CV joint, which is obviously not going to work for any longevity.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have any other forum members installed the Rhino axles and recall enough about the rear to advise whether the pictures I’ve posted are what the shafts you installed looked like?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this the part number? AX-4-88-RL-0-DT

Confirmed. Part number is correct for the left rear placement.

I have not opened the other three yet since a question exists on what did or did not change on the ‘23 machines versus prior years. This shaft as it arrived in my hands is clearly incompatible with my machine, so the question is: Did I receive a non-conforming part that was put into a box with the correct part number, or did changes happen in the ‘23 model year that SuperATV has not adjusted for in the design specifications for the Rhino 2.0 axles.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Super ATV. Apparently Kawasaki DID change something on the 2023 model year for the rear differential and the Rhino 2.0 axles will not fit. The tech told me that the front axles do work on the 2023, but the current iteration of their rear axles will not work.

Hopefully Super ATV will come up with a version for the 2023 models soon.

· Built For Battle
233 Posts
Sorry I'm just now catching up over here guys. Thanks @craigstumph for taking care of him. And sorry for the hassle @stewart.adventures .

Kawie changed up the rear inner CV's in the 2023 model to fix the issue where the rear OEM axles keep popping out of the trans. Hopefully this is the fix.

We should have the rear axles for the 2023 ready in a few months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts