Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my KRX where it is very dusty, I鈥檝e had to clean my filter at least once a week馃え so I came up with a Second air filter ( K&N off a Honda CR450R ) then cut a plastic container top off and trimmed it to contour the inside of the air inlet box, then hot glued it then cut aluminum oval and hot clue glued it to the plastic ring, then put foam on the surface of it to seal the filter, Then pressed the K&N filter, the particular shape of that K&N filter Has a flat bottom with a dome top and I pressed the dome top down to seat it against the foam,
I use 2 zip ties to make loops up both sides of the filter then connected them with a replaceable zip tie to hold the filter against the foam snuggly, turned out great.
5414CA93-789C-4DA7-B235-DFBCE148FFE9.jpeg
27A6D7C3-4B77-4903-813B-60B587319540.jpeg
696D69F1-807F-4E11-BE00-776F631033B8.jpeg
DEAEE8BB-CF88-4F8D-92E9-72A0FF32A267.jpeg
85BD5558-5EB2-4B9A-AEFE-4D4FCFC75ECA.jpeg
2FC3C1B5-B5A1-4F36-8EBC-4FD5D069FD70.jpeg
14B4872A-928C-44C0-A58F-323B360843E3.jpeg
2E9DAF42-3B76-42D6-8D07-24D3E9EFD3A8.jpeg

Premium Member
2020 KRX
I would think adding that 2nd filter would restrict airflow to the machine. Why not just add a filter sock?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I would think adding that 2nd filter would restrict airflow to the machine. Why not just add a filter sock?
The frog skin cover is a sock but it still lets tons of fine dust through and that鈥檚 what鈥檚 clogging up my main filter this pre-filter is a washable filter and I don鈥檛 believe it鈥檚 going to do much restriction because it has so much area space that it does filtering with, the amount of dust I have in my area is horrendous.

Registered
K&Ns dont stop dust worth a crap. Get a better filter

Sounds like you need an S&B particle separator. They pay for themselves in saved filters if you ride a lot of dust

Premium Member
2020 KRX
The frog skin cover is a sock but it still lets tons of fine dust through and that鈥檚 what鈥檚 clogging up my main filter this pre-filter is a washable filter and I don鈥檛 believe it鈥檚 going to do much restriction because it has so much area space that it does filtering with, the amount of dust I have in my area is horrendous.
True, but frog skins are mainly for water prevention. The filter sock I鈥檓 talking about goes directly over the stock filter. You just shake it off, and toss it back on.

Registered
No, not 100%. But they do a great job of catching a lot of it. I鈥檝e used them before with great results.
Compare the micron rating on an Outerwear to your actual filter. Much larger. They dont stop fine dust. Yes it will be covered in crap but so will your filter

Registered
2020 Green KRX
Sorry but I probably live in the worst dustiest area in the country. It鈥檚 pure desert here. This topic has been dragged out so much but in reality it鈥檚 not a problem. Every time I wash my machine, I take out my filter and blow it inside out with an air gun and it鈥檚 good as new again. I only have 400 miles on it. I have yet to see any dirt go past the air filter into the engine. As sandman said if it bugs you that much get a particle separator. The filter you added will certainly restrict airflow and possibly make your machine run lean and prone to engine failure. Let it breathe, it needs all the air it can get.

Registered
Not the best idea, or recommended by any filter company. Knock it out, but keep high pressure hoses away. Your Likely blowing small holes in the filter media every time you do that.

Registered
2020 Green KRX
These are not holes your going to see with the naked eye. Lol... Small microscopic holes. Think microns.

To each their own. Filter are cheap. Engines not so much...
Yup. No issues so far. No dust beyond the filter. All is well.

Registered
While I like the idea of a pre filter.. I bought a washable main filter. With as easy as the filter is to get to. Particularly with my folding seats. I just make it part of my routine maintence to blow or wash it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Did you put hinges on the front of the slides and then how did you latch them in place when you put them back down?馃槼

1 - 20 of 27 Posts