Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
PCI claim any water-resistance? Would hate to remove for pressure washing. I had to do that in my RZR with off-brand clone radio. I know some Rugged kits have a faceplate cover for cleaning or when it rains.
I cobbed a protective cover out of neoprene for my Rugged intercom. The radios below are TYT and a Rugged TYT knock off which both have an IP67 or 68 water rating. The intercom is still OK After more than a few weather events and pressure washings. With any electronics ( even those with a rating) I would be extremely cautious when pressure washing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I doubt it is much if any, rear of radio is open sockets....any have waterproof connections? I'm going to extend the radio and intercom out from the windshield using common light bar mounts, as high as it is wouldn't have to hit it hard with PW. I was thinking of putting a Plastic bag over when washing.

I think I will connect the radio and comm with their clamp system and connect that braket to the light bar clamps. I will probably source a 12" long round tube 1.5 did to place in the radio clamps to clean the look up.
View attachment 10843 View attachment 10844 View attachment 10845

·
Registered
776 Posts
When they don't put it out front in the description, probably not waterproof....

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm still in the process of installing my radio, PCI needed to modify the Kenwood radio for connectivity between their Trax intercom and the radio. I'm waiting for it to return. Question, any one drill the premium poly roof for an antenna? I got a ground plane disk (+6" Laird whip 1/4 wave nmo-like 1911's) and planning to install at rear of the hood in the recess, forward of Remote 8's fab mount. I was planning to use 4 pop rivets (washers on the bottom) through the disk to help stiffen that area, is this a viable plan? Radio help welcome...

·
Registered
870 Posts
IIRC, the minimum efficient ground plane size required for GMRS frequencies, and the antenna I used would be ~ 6-7" and being a "ground plane" should be grounded, or bonded to the frame. Fortunately, the KRX ground block is on the left side rear engine side of the firewall and easy to access. I went with that. Checking the set up with an antenna analyzer showed a VSWR of 1-1.116 which means the antenna is about as good as it gets efficiency wise. IIRC the power out in watts was 22. That was strange because the Rugged radio is supposedly only rated at 20 watts on UHF (those crazy Chinese radio manufacturers 😂). Other installs I've done with the same radio type , but different antenna set ups get about 18 watts out and a VSWR of 1.2-1.3 ish. I've talked to my son in his Pioneer with on GMRS simplex when he was servicing a repeater site about 30 ish miles away from my residence. Not a good line of sight either. His passenger bought a radio that afternoon he was so impressed.
My KRX install is the best I've done performance wise of the 5 I've done so far.....it was also the biggest PITA.

My ground plane size.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Here's what I have..
I can run a ground wire down, attach to the underside of roof by brass screw through the disk.
That looks pretty functional. I would put the ground plate on the bottom to give the NMO mount something to tighten against and call it good. I was concerned more with structural stresses on my install. because I went with a longer more efficient 5/8 wave antenna, and I jad no idea how the UHF GMRS would work in my mountainous terrain.. That should work real nice!

·
Registered
776 Posts
That looks pretty functional. I would put the ground plate on the bottom to give the NMO mount something to tighten against and call it good. I was concerned more with structural stresses on my install. because I went with a longer more efficient 5/8 wave antenna, and I jad no idea how the UHF GMRS would work in my mountainous terrain.. That should work real nice!
We have 2 very different antennas, I have a SWR meter(SW-33MARK2 | SURECOM).
It will be interesting what numbers I come up with. I don't have a dead load for 45watts. We are generally in a <3mi radius of each other, car to car, should be no problem. As I learn, I will probably put one in my tow vehicle as a base onsite.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think you will be fine. I went way over kill on my first GMRS install, as I was doubtful of UHF propagation in my area based on my experience with 2 meter VHF in the past. I also have GMRS in our plow equipment, and some family work trucks where more range is needed. If I've learned anything about radio comms, it's do what works for you. GMRS has worked so well for us, I'm actually thinking of setting up some repeaters to make it even better.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts