Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is a thread i would like to dedicate to pics of how you installed your intercom or GMRS/cb radio installs. sometimes just seeing someone else's install can help tremendously with your own install. if you can explain any likes/dislikes of your install along with model numbers of the equipment you installed.

so here's my setup: to start the GMRS radio is mounted to the roof with screws and large washers on the top side to keep from tearing out the plastic roof. has held up fine so far and is easy to get to the controls even with harness's on; the intercom itself is just to the right of the handlebar, the only disadvantage is if the driver wants a intercom volume adjustment sometimes the passenger has to make the adjustment if you're underway and fully harnessed in. most of the wiring will go in the factory conduit built into the a-pillar tubes. i routed the helmet connectors up and over to the rear for easy connection to helmet kits; i chose the following equipment from Rugged radios: RRP510 intercom, GMR25 gmrs radio, two HK-OFSP-AA helmet kits w/microphone, two CS-OFF-12 connector cables for intercom to helmet kits, push to talk button for driver PTT-VM2-QD-KIT, connector cable from radio to intercom CS-5P-12.... then some parts from other sources: power filter to cut radio noise from engine: amazon IBNF50 noise filter 50 amp to power both the radio and intercom, then i had a Midland antenna MXTA26, midland antenna low profile antenna cable MXTA24 and finally a MXTA23 roll bar mount

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts

Here is what I'm running. No intercom yet, but will be adding to it later.
I got the filler plate from eBay and the radio is mounted with a console faceplate. The back of the dash hole behind radio is cut out, and there's a fuse block mounted on what's left above the radio that powers everything.

Antenna directly mounted in aluminum roof.

·
Registered
765 Posts

$1,100 plus 5% if give them your email....good deal on brakes also $117 front and back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
View attachment 4490
I got the filler plate from eBay and the radio is mounted with a console faceplate. The back of the dash hole behind radio is cut out, and there's a fuse block mounted on what's left above the radio that powers everything.
View attachment 4494
View attachment 4490
View attachment 4494
Good job of putting it on a metal roof (ground plane). It would be better if it was in the middle of the roof to help radiate the signal uniformly.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
Good job of putting it on a metal roof (ground plane). It would be better if it was in the middle of the roof to help radiate the signal uniformly.
It's behind the lightbar for protection, it'd get knocked off if it were in the middle. I have professionally installed 2way radios for the last 25 years. I use professional tools, like wattmeters, during my installs. Thanks for the advice:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Posted these in a few places but what the heck....Rugged GMR25, Intercom, with a Tram 7/8 tuned ground plane antenna & mount (this was a total "I'm bored in the winter mount fab project to see how it works), TYT8600 VHF/UHF for ham use and programmed for scanning local EMCOM VHF channels running Rugged (meh, it's OK) NGP base loaded antenna on the driverside whip mount. Very acceptable SWR values, outputs and performance. The Tram 7/8 antenna is a bit tall and I will eventually replace it with a Laird 1/4 wave NGP that I've had great luck with on a few other installs.

General layout

Tram with sized and frame grounded sized ground plane mount....way over kill but a learning experience.

My new go to GMRS choice. This one was giving a SWR of 1.1 out of the box with no tuning.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Our local trails are made by the smaller machines and we are starting to cut back low limbs etc. A ridged mount antenna would get destroyed (as could your light bar). I tried running with a flag and it gets ripped off every time. Can you guys show your fixes for tree limb hazards. 1911cdp...nice install.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Posted these in a few places but what the heck....Rugged GMR25, Intercom, with a Tram 7/8 tuned ground plane antenna & mount (this was a total "I'm bored in the winter mount fab project to see how it works), TYT8600 VHF/UHF for ham use and programmed for scanning local EMCOM VHF channels running Rugged (meh, it's OK) NGP base loaded antenna on the driverside whip mount. Very acceptable SWR values, outputs and performance. The Tram 7/8 antenna is a bit tall and I will eventually replace it with a Laird 1/4 wave NGP that I've had great luck with on a few other installs.

View attachment 4523
General layout
View attachment 4524
Tram with sized and frame grounded sized ground plane mount....way over kill but a learning experience.

View attachment 4525
My new go to GMRS choice. This one was giving a SWR of 1.1 out of the box with no tuning.
That is a 1/4 wave. This is too and should perform the same, but this design is lower profile and harder to knock off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Our local trails are made by the smaller machines and we are starting to cut back low limbs etc. A ridged mount antenna would get destroyed (as could your light bar). I tried running with a flag and it gets ripped off every time. Can you guys show your fixes for tree limb hazards. 1911cdp...nice install.
Same thing applies here, the low profile 1/4 wave solves a lot of getting knocked off problems just by the design. The nut that holds it down is only 1/2in tall, and the simple whip design will usually fold over and not break unless sheared right at the top of the chrome nut.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got to work on "The Boss" a little, float the idea and then remind when optimal awareness/usefulness can be demonstrated...oh we need this........
Thanks to all for sharing..
FYI that will work on any NMO mount, and is less than $20.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone have any experience using a Baofeng radio? I have one, and have it programmed to use ham radio channels, but I can program it to use CB or GMRS channels. It’s a small walkie size radio, but can be used with basically any antenna. Has provisions for a combo speaker/mic. Really a nice little radio. You can program it for weather radio, cb, gmrs, ham radio etc using your computer. You have to be careful though, as it’s a 5w unrestricted VHF/UHF radio very easy to transmit on a frequency you don’t mean to like the local ems services.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone have any experience using a Baofeng radio? I have one, and have it programmed to use ham radio channels, but I can program it to use CB or GMRS channels. It’s a small walkie size radio, but can be used with basically any antenna. Has provisions for a combo speaker/mic. Really a nice little radio. You can program it for weather radio, cb, gmrs, ham radio etc using your computer. You have to be careful though, as it’s a 5w unrestricted VHF/UHF radio very easy to transmit on a frequency you don’t mean to like the local ems services.
I am aware of them, haven't personally used one. I am a 2 way radio tech though. I keep fire/ems/police talking for a living.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Correction on my previous antenna Description the KRX IS A Tram Browning 1173

Description
Mobile antenna 5/8 over 5/8 Wave, NMO, UHF 450-470 MHz. For Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Maxon, Vertex, and other mobile radios. 5.5 dBd gain, golden plunger type contact pin, premium coil with metal base and top, 200 W power rating, 35" whip, stainless steel taped whip .1" (2.5mm)
The one on the Pioneer, which I've put a few in now and really like
Laird Technologies B4502N
Manufacturer Laird Technologies Product Description 450-470 MHz Antenna Frequency (MHz) 450-470 Product Narrative No ground plane, 1/2 wave base loaded antenna. Molded high heat ABS mounting base features silver soldered connections, gold plated push pin contacts and...

·
Registered
870 Posts

I have a 4 of these loaner set ups. They work pretty well. With the bigger battery pack they will run car to car comms all day and an easy mile or two between hand helds, much farther between a handheld and a car mobile set up. Note that proper licensure and frequency selection is required for these to be operated legally. I would get the Baofeng GMRS version and buy a $70 10 year family use license online and go that route.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts