Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to remove the center console to run some wires and it looks like there are some plastic rivets that need to be removed. The problem is they are recessed in a hole about the size of a quarter and I don't see any good way to get to them out. I was thinking of drilling but thought I would try here first. There are two on the passenger side and two on the driver side near the cup holders just in front of the seat kind of around where your knee would be. I assume there is some tool or trick I just don't know about.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was going to remove the center console to run some wires and it looks like there are some plastic rivets that need to be removed. The problem is they are recessed in a hole about the size of a quarter and I don't see any good way to get to them out. I was thinking of drilling but thought I would try here first. There are two on the passenger side and two on the driver side near the cup holders just in front of the seat kind of around where your knee would be. I assume there is some tool or trick I just don't know about.
Just use a flat head screwdriver and work them out, The stock pushpins are a pain in the butt and most of the time they get chewed up when you take them out. I replaced mine with this style of pushpin that I’ve always had on my motorcycle fairings, just push center in with screwdriver and they pop right out with your fingers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,116 Posts
You can always use a hook tool or a pair of duck bill pliers for the hard to reach ones. If they get mangled, just pick up some new ones. They’re cheap enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can always use a hook tool or a pair of duck bill pliers for the hard to reach ones. If they get mangled, just pick up some new ones. They’re cheap enough.
Can anyone tell me the rivet size for after market rivets for KRX?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shop around, you can find them cheaper.
yeah, the issue is I am not sure the mm size, I have read 8mm, 9mm, not sure which one is correct. I will keep on searching, I found some pretty cheap options so I guess worst case I have rivets for some other use!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,116 Posts
yeah, the issue is I am not sure the mm size, I have read 8mm, 9mm, not sure which one is correct. I will keep on searching, I found some pretty cheap options so I guess worst case I have rivets for some other use!!!
I believe they’re 8mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
77 Posts
I use shorter rivets for plastic to sheet metal.
I use these for most every thing else.

The pins are different lengths and styles on all of these, but are interchangeable with the factory rivets. The base pads also have different diameters with the factory rivet bases being smaller. I like to mix and match. On the dash and center console I use the factory rivets with the wider heads to give a clean finish.
20210509_071841[1].jpg
On certain areas of the body I like using the larger based rivets for more support.
20210509_071901[1].jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts