Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys lots of talk about running 35's and clutch weights wearing in general, no matter the size tires. On my last Hatfield McCoy ride in West Virginia I pushed this machine as hard as I ever had. I don't ride hard, I always say I'm an old man with an egg on the throttle. Well not so much this time. At the end of the second day I experienced belt bark or belt slippage on take off, happened four times. I was able to make it back 40 miles from Pineville. Next morning I intended to drive to the car wash but it slipped upon takeoff so I put it on the trailer. It just slips at first takeoff. After that its ok.

Got her back home and tore the CVT down. Pulled the secondary easy. Would have to remove the shock to pull the primary so left it on the machine. Doesn't look bad to me. No grooving that I can see and heard a lot about that.

For anyone doing this the first time as I was = here are some thoughts.

I used the three bolts from Full Access to spread the secondary to remove the belt. Do not use an impact. (We know that means you can, but be careful). Remove the belt from the secondary.

Pull the primary cage, its two 10 mm bolts and two 12 mm nuts. t's easier to remove this cage if you remove the shock guard and the guard around the bottom of the CVT case.

Now you can remove the belt.

Use an impact to remove the secondary bolt its a 19 mm and its left hand threads. So turn it right to remove! A few ugga duggas and she'll come right off - the bolt. My secondary pulled right off.

Use an impact to remove the primary nut, its 24 mm. Same amount of ugga duggas on the impact. This is right hand threads so turn to the left to loosen. It's not the same torque as the scondary, its a larger 24mm. Ugga Duggas on an impact is a feel thing.

Now remove the outer plate on the primary. It's about eight 5 mm hex cap screws. Remove all but two then use your hand to compress the primary spring before removing the last two. That's the primary spring some guys are removing for lower cruising RPM's. Now that you have that outer plate and the primary spring off you can work the primary back and forth and examine the rollers and the weights. That's how your primary works. Look for anything that doesn't look right.

Here are some pictures, in the next post.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is the primary after removing the plate that compresses the primary spring. This is the plate with the eight 5mm hex bolts. This picture shows the primary all the way out, towards you on the outside. The rollers and weights are all tight and you can't see them.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This picture shows after I pushed the primary in towards the machine. Now you can see inside where the rollers and weights are. This is how you want to blow out your primary and examine your shit.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here's #3 of 4
It looks so close to the preceding picture I had to triple check it. :)

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I did not pull the weights:
1. If I was going to pull them I wanted the primary out of the machine on a bench the way the KMS video shows it on YouTube. I didn't want to pull the shock to remove the primary because I didn't want the extra downtime.

2. I do not have other weights to go in, I just wanted to examine them.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put 35's on at the break in service at 120 miles. I'm at 1600 miles and do not see grooves in the primary or secondary. I do not know why I had slippage upon takeoff on the last ride. I put 12 miles on the new belt tonight. I need to MIKE the old belt so see if that is why I had slippage. I see wear on the OEM weights, but it looks even and somewhat normal to me. Can anyone share their opinion on that please. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have u blew the clutch out regularly before the 1600 miles?
Religiously brother, every 200 miles or after every big ride. Had the cover off eight times. Today when I blew it out, not much came out. Most of the time when I blow it out, not much does. I'm a fanatic about clutch maintenance. I'm coming from a Yamaha Wolverine X2 where it was the norm.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
603 Posts
Get a scotch brite pad and some alcohol on the primary and secondary

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So what I'm looking for is opinions on the wear on the weights. I'm at 1600 total miles and 1480 on 35" tires. I do drive it like an old man with an egg between the throttle. Or do I need to pull the weights to get a better understanding of their wear?

What I'm seeing in the pictures looks really good for 1600 miles on 35's. Your thoughts?

And I haven't MIKED the old belt yet to determine if that is why I had four slippages on take offs on the last ride. It was fine after I was moving, but definitely slipped on take off. Everyone could hear it and I know my machine and I felt it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would probably add it up to the 35's. Big tires are hard to move. Maybe more dust than usual. I've ran a badass belt for about 600 miles and no complaints. Weight wear is noticeable. There will be grooves wore in typically towards the tip. These are Daltons at 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting... It looks like there might be a groove in the weights near the end as is typical. But they don't look as bad as I would expect for 1600 miles, although it's hard to tell for sure from the pictures. Mine were very noticeably grooved around 800 miles. I wonder if different driving styles would account for the apparent differences? I drive like a maniac 🤪

1 - 20 of 59 Posts