Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Problem is, my wife would want to make the ride as well, and not just drive the truck/trailer to Moab and wait for me to show up.

Wives....the next thing they will want is to actually drive our KRXs. :) I told her the Pioneer was hers now. Somehow, I don't think that is working.

We were hoping it would be as simple as unload at the Montrose trailhead (or I could park at a friends in Olathe where there is a feeder trail/road to the trailhead) . Ride to Moab, spend the night, return. The last bit into Moab is problematic. It could be "kinda legal" because it is the Rim Rocker trail. But I don't want to deal with the downside possibilities of having to argue with local LE in Utah over technicalities. Making someone drive all the way to Moab just to trailer a few miles takes the fun out of it. Hence the reason we are looking to just do the CO side as a loop and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
515 Posts
Wives....the next thing they will want is to actually drive our KRXs. :) I told her the Pioneer was hers now. Somehow, I don't think that is working.

We were hoping it would be as simple as unload at the Montrose trailhead (or I could park at a friends in Olathe where there is a feeder trail/road to the trailhead) . Ride to Moab, spend the night, return. The last bit into Moab is problematic. It could be "kinda legal" because it is the Rim Rocker trail. But I don't want to deal with the downside possibilities of having to argue with local LE in Utah over technicalities. Making someone drive all the way to Moab just to trailer a few miles takes the fun out of it. Hence the reason we are looking to just do the CO side as a loop and be done with it.
I've been working on my wife to actually drive the KRX so I could sit back and enjoy the ride and sights. Got her to drive a few miles out in Moab, and from Tincup Pass down to the Trading Post in Taylor Park. She doesn't really like driving anything other than her atv. The drive from Grand Junction isn't far (and we have a 3-1/2 year grand daughter there to visit) and we would have to spend a couple of days riding in Moab. Still trying to figure out how to make it work out....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to get out of state street legal plates or registration for Arizona or Utah. Anyone registered there Utv in Arizona that didn't live there have some tips on how to do it?
I just got a sticker from Idaho ,my plate is wa. ,it should be treated like a car if it's street legal in your state with plates should be legal any other state IF they a low sxs on the road.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just got a sticker from Idaho ,my plate is wa. ,it should be treated like a car if it's street legal in your state with plates should be legal any other state IF they a low sxs on the road.
I think Washington is one of the states that also have street legal Utv's then you would just need to get a Utah or Arizona off road sticker as well if in that state.. but be good for street use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You do not need a physical address in Arizona to register a vehicle in AZ.

I know many people, in several states that have vehicles registered in AZ with no physical address in the state. They did the whole process by mail, and AZ DMV sends title, registration and renewals directly to the owners out of state address. Some have also done the process in AZ, but the all paperwork is sent to their out of state address. In addition, you can get multi-year registration - up to 5 years, at a substantial discount.

AZ registration is very popular with the dual sport motorcycle crowd who live in states where it's impossible to register a dirt bike for street use.

My BIL has his SXS street legal registered in AZ, and lives in CA, with all paperwork done via US Mail!

Check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition...Why does AZ allow this? MONEY!

The state receives quite a bit of basically free money from people that use nearly zero state services, and does not care if the process is legal in other states!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You do not need a physical address in Arizona to register a vehicle in AZ.

I know many people, in several states that have vehicles registered in AZ with no physical address in the state. They did the whole process by mail, and AZ DMV sends title, registration and renewals directly to the owners out of state address. Some have also done the process in AZ, but the all paperwork is sent to their out of state address. In addition, you can get multi-year registration - up to 5 years, at a substantial discount.

AZ registration is very popular with the dual sport motorcycle crowd who live in states where it's impossible to register a dirt bike for street use.

My BIL has his SXS street legal registered in AZ, and lives in CA, with all paperwork done via US Mail!

Check it out.
Thanks for the info that's what I was hoping for.. The parks district indicates on there web site there is a way through the state MVD. I called them, after a long hold and 3 people later when the call dropped.. so took Jeff's suggestions and contacted Sierra Title.. They took my money so I wait to see how it works out and keep posted..

·
Registered
166 Posts
In addition...Why does AZ allow this? MONEY!

The state receives quite a bit of basically free money from people that use nearly zero state services, and does not care if the process is legal in other states!
Yep, they just care you're legal in AZ regardless of your own state law. Most states would require a title transfer from AZ to your residential state within a certain time frame to be technically legal. Depends how savvy the trooper is who stops you!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
so was talking to another krx owner at the dealership and he said he just finished a long ride all the way around the Arizona peace trail and ordered his street tag from NewMexico.. said it was a one time fee and they sent him a decal in the mail.. got the link from the rally on the rocks sign up. This is all news to me so had to take his word for it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
A confusing quest to be sure. Watching this for feedback as AZ would be my first choice because I have friends and some relatives who were smart enough to move from this place during the winter hell season...;)..it's not that bad. NM is #2. The rules and seemingly pulled out of thin air disqualifiers are crazy. For example, you have to run factory approved stock size tires in Utah to be street legal??? I took the stock tires and rims off of one of our UTVs the day I bought it and replaced them with slightly larger DOT approved tires so no matter what state it it is tagged in, it is a technical nonstarter in Utah for street useage. I'm sure Utah LEOS got better stuff to do.....but they could call me on this.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts