Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make an off-road GPS all self-contained with a bright screen, waterproof, and especially dustproof? It would be so nice just take off, not worry about where I'm going, and then just press return home and it would show me the exact way back. I tried onx off-road on an iPad and it worked ok. When I tried the return home(that's not what they call it) it took me back a short way the way I came, then tried to make me go completely off my track across an area that I didn't pass on. Some of the areas were impassable. Any ideas or alternatives? thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I purchased a magellan trx7 gps and works pretty good for like $430 and hooked a couple of friends up with the website about 1-1/2 years ago and have used it quite a bit. 7” monitor and we use it jeeping and in the utv. Most major trail systems already downloaded and i believe free update downloads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Garmin has a new setup that includes a radio and addons for backup cameras and wireless switches. I've used Lifetime trail maps on a tablet for several years but hard to use. Just switched to Gaia on a tablet and it seems much better. Polaris ride command app is available too. With a tablet you can also BT your music and take photos and videos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our group has tried onx, and alltrails but we have landed on Gaia; we have guys using it with Apple and droid and it works great on both platforms. I like that it tracks your location well. Turning the map and keeping your location accurate to the map. I downloaded the satellite with trails layer/overlay before going out to a new area. The satellite layer shows trails that may not be labeled by the trails overlay depending on the type of riding your doing.

Then get a lifeproff case for your tablet. I run the Samsung tab think its the 8" with a nice case, tempered glass screen protector and RAM mount.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our group has tried onx, and alltrails but we have landed on Gaia; we have guys using it with Apple and droid and it works great on both platforms. I like that it tracks your location well. Turning the map and keeping your location accurate to the map. I downloaded the satellite with trails layer/overlay before going out to a new area. The satellite layer shows trails that may not be labeled by the trails overlay depending on the type of riding your doing.

Then get a lifeproff case for your tablet. I run the Samsung tab think its the 8" with a nice case, tempered glass screen protector and RAM mount.
Is any of the items you described dustproof and all? A big problem I had was when the case I was using with the cover got full of dust and I wiped it or what I call popping it with a cloth to get the dust off, it scratched it so bad I couldn't see the screen anymore. I ride in the desert so I'm really concerned with the dust getting in the device and ruining it. I looked and I didn't see a LifeProof case for then Samsung tab 8, maybe I missed it. Do you have a link to it? thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is any of the items you described dustproof and all? A big problem I had was when the case I was using with the cover got full of dust and I wiped it or what I call popping it with a cloth to get the dust off, it scratched it so bad I couldn't see the screen anymore. I ride in the desert so I'm really concerned with the dust getting in the device and ruining it. I looked and I didn't see a LifeProof case for then Samsung tab 8, maybe I missed it. Do you have a link to it? thanks
I use these on the screen they are tempered glass they seem to be fine and don't show scratches. With Gaia I also don't need to touch my screen as much as when I ran Alltrails. Alltrails gave me a lot of issues tracking my location live on the map. Gaia seems once its turned on and GPS locks in to be rock solid.

Screen protector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts