Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out tinkering around on the KRX Friday and happened to glance at the left front suspension. I was shocked. I just had the updated a-arms and knuckles done a few weeks ago, and had given it a close visual inspection. Guess I should have put a wrench on things. I have only put maybe 5 miles on it out behind the house since the update was done. Damn good thing I hadn't gone on a real ride. My dealer will get an ear full next time I'm in there and show them my pictures. Just plain carelessness that had to potential to become a lawsuit had things come apart at speed.
Both mounting nuts/bolts must have just been finger tight when I picked it up and visually inspected everything. If I had ridden a couple more miles, the nuts would have come completely off. I think we all know what would have happened next. The right side was fine, tight as hell.
Sloppy work and lack of QC that could have ended very badly. Got lucky this time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow!!! Good thing you caught it! It's pitiful the half assed "mechanics" they hire. Couldn't even double check everything before turning it loose, I guarantee they have no idea what a torque wrench is either!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Believe me that it is really hard to find good technicians now days! I supervised two heavy equipment shops and one fabrication shop until I retired. I found that the biggest distraction to the mechanics was the use or abuse of their own cell phones. How can someone stay focused on task at hand when they are constantly messing with those things? I would have made sure that the mechanic that was responsible for that error got a butt chewing.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,256 Posts
Bob you should have known better. There is no way I would trust a dealership to do things correctly, without following up behind them personally.
When mine finally gets done, you can bet I’ll be going through every nut-n-bolt and re-torquing everything. How can you trust the younger guys in the shop to give a damn?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer. Free labor or not, these are reasons why I do all my own work.
If Kawasaki would have sent me the parts to do the update, I would have done it that way. Since it had to be done by the dealer, that only left two choices. Either have the dealer do it, or spend the $$$$ to buy the parts and do it myself. This is not a cheap update, and the money is in the parts. Really very little labor involved. Parts cost was $1,352.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If Kawasaki would have sent me the parts to do the update, I would have done it that way. Since it had to be done by the dealer, that only left two choices. Either have the dealer do it, or spend the $$$$ to buy the parts and do it myself. This is not a cheap update, and the money is in the parts. Really very little labor involved. Parts cost was $1,352.

View attachment 1783
Good thing you checked it all out. I would still do a go over if they had to do the labor. I don't trust them.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!!! Good thing you caught it! It's pitiful the half assed "mechanics" they hire. Couldn't even double check everything before turning it loose, I guarantee they have no idea what a torque wrench is either!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Isn't it something? 4 bolts, 4 lousy bolts to torque when mounting the two a-arm's to the machine. Lug nuts were tight, the cotter pins were in and everything else is good. Just forgot to secure it to the machine....... This is also the same tech who couldn't properly clamp the new cv boot on when he pulled the first one off when attempting to do this update the first time. (Kawasaki sent two right side a-arms)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good thing you checked it all out. I would still do a go over if they had to do the labor. I don't trust them.
Yeah, lesson learned. I figured just doing a visual inspection would suffice, to make sure they had put everything back together. Really didn't think I would need to put a wrench on every nut and bolt.
I know the service manager, and I bet after I go visit him, I won't have to worry about future work on my machine. :) (assuming it needs any warranty work over the next 2-1/2 years)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, lesson learned. I figured just doing a visual inspection would suffice, to make sure they had put everything back together. Really didn't think I would need to put a wrench on every nut and bolt.
I know the service manager, and I bet after I go visit him, I won't have to worry about future work on my machine. :) (assuming it needs any warranty work over the next 2-1/2 years)
I got my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sadly yours is not the first report I've seen of this same issue. Check your ball joint snap rings, seen a few of these dropped after the update also. I haven't even got on the list for the update because I'm more worried about these techs touching my machine then I am worried about the original knuckles.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly yours is not the first report I've seen of this same issue. Check your ball joint snap rings, seen a few of these dropped after the update also. I haven't even got on the list for the update because I'm more worried about these techs touching my machine then I am worried about the original knuckles.
Here's your list.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went in to talk to the service manager about this issue, and showed him the pictures. He immediately asked that I email him the pictures, and was very grateful that I brought this to his attention, and that I didn't throw a fit when doing so. Hopefully this won't happen to anybody else now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts