Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background on the issue, when first purchased I noticed a humming sound coming on at around 40mph. Dealer advised first round it was the clutch engagement and normal operation.

Progressively it continued to get worse. Took back to dealer second time. Dealer replaced primary sheave and complete clutch, noise is still there. Left it there, since the noise wasn’t fixed. If in low gear the noise will come on at around 20mph.

Finally was able to stay in neutral rev to about 6100-6200 RPM and the noise comes on. I thought maybe it’s a loose skid plate vibrating or a cover of some sort. Nothing found loose.

It does sound like something is rotating pretty fast to produce the noise, so bad it’s a low deep tone to drone the whole cab.

I read over on the teryx forums of something similar but not sure if the KRX uses similar components on the CVT trans.

Not very familiar with CVT’s apart from how they engage and disengage. I’m lost beyond the wet clutch and one way bearing.

Is there anything in the CVT that is spinning while in neutral? Bearings or drives? It certainly feels like it’s coming from inside the casing, I could be way off but that where the sound is being emitted from.

Any help or info welcome and appreciated. I’ve attached a video for reference of the noise. Noise is best heard on desktop speakers.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy, CageWRX Sport cage, 33" System 3 RT320's
109 Posts
Definitely not normal, we have 2 KRX's in my family and neither makes any noise like that.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not normal, we have 2 KRX's in my family and neither makes any noise like that.
Yep I’ve rode a few of them and no noise whatsoever. It is definitely abnormal.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the thread

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, it’s been friggen hot here!! You gots a spare bedroom? I’ll chip in for brewski money.
Lol we have a couple bedrooms we don’t use lol, heard 100+ degrees non stop over there.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Lol we have a couple bedrooms we don’t use lol, heard 100+ degrees non stop over there.
Yeah, it’s been hot up here at 5k feet! Went for a simple neighborhood run today, and even I had dude knocker sweat!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
so i know this might be a worse case scenario, but KRX engines (like many modern engines) us a balance shaft to counteract internal engine vibrations; if it isn't timed correctly to the crankshaft then it COULD cause the engine vibrations you describe- low humming noise/vibration that can come one worse as engine rpm increases...... maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i know this might be a worse case scenario, but KRX engines (like many modern engines) us a balance shaft to counteract internal engine vibrations; if it isn't timed correctly to the crankshaft then it COULD cause the engine vibrations you describe- low humming noise/vibration that can come one worse as engine rpm increases...... maybe?
Thank you for this. I left it at the dealer and told them not to call me unless it’s fixed. Although they said nothing mechanical appears to be wrong, I’m not willing to take the chance on taking it as is…at that point I would assume responsibility of any type of failure including a catastrophic one. The noise is definitely something bad and internal in a major component. Whether it’s parts or labor it will be expensive either way..not on my dime!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank you for this. I left it at the dealer and told them not to call me unless it’s fixed. Although they said nothing mechanical appears to be wrong, I’m not willing to take the chance on taking it as is…at that point I would assume responsibility of any type of failure including a catastrophic one. The noise is definitely something bad and internal in a major component. Whether it’s parts or labor it will be expensive either way..not on my dime!
Take the spring out of the primary and report back

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he’s referring to the primary spring. Might be worth a shot. 🤷‍♂️
On the teryx forums they talk about a bevel gear, the noise is very similar to that although it does not whine or howl. It’s more of a deep roaring sound. I’m starting to think maybe it’s the one way bearing or wet clutch since they both are spinning in neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little background on the issue, when first purchased I noticed a humming sound coming on at around 40mph. Dealer advised first round it was the clutch engagement and normal operation.

Progressively it continued to get worse. Took back to dealer second time. Dealer replaced primary sheave and complete clutch, noise is still there. Left it there, since the noise wasn’t fixed. If in low gear the noise will come on at around 20mph.

Finally was able to stay in neutral rev to about 6100-6200 RPM and the noise comes on. I thought maybe it’s a loose skid plate vibrating or a cover of some sort. Nothing found loose.

It does sound like something is rotating pretty fast to produce the noise, so bad it’s a low deep tone to drone the whole cab.

I read over on the teryx forums of something similar but not sure if the KRX uses similar components on the CVT trans.

Not very familiar with CVT’s apart from how they engage and disengage. I’m lost beyond the wet clutch and one way bearing.

Is there anything in the CVT that is spinning while in neutral? Bearings or drives? It certainly feels like it’s coming from inside the casing, I could be way off but that where the sound is being emitted from.

Any help or info welcome and appreciated. I’ve attached a video for reference of the noise. Noise is best heard on desktop speakers.

I have the same noise as you, also replace the clutch weight with a Dalton clutch kit same noise. before it would make it just before shifting

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the same noise as you, also replace the clutch weight with a Dalton clutch kit same noise. before it would make it just before shifting
Nice there’s one other member that has it also. Did you happen to replace the one way bearing? Also does the noise come on at 6100 rpm and up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice there’s one other member that has it also. Did you happen to replace the one way bearing? Also does the noise come on at 6100 rpm and up?
I did not replace the one way bearing, for the RPM it hard to say because it was arround that rpm before changing the weights, now it's at a different rpm but did not pay attention to it, I was just happy there was no more shift. for the noise i assume it was when i was getting close to the groove in the primary and secondary clutch and the belt would start vibrating.

could not find anything else wrong with it

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,245 Posts
Maybe the best fix would be a good set of ear plugs... :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts