Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

No throttle response

11K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Krx McMechan 
#1 ·
2020 krx. Push gas and it bottoms out. Almost dies. Any input would be appreciated. Just won't go. Stop and ease gas and it goes.

#3 ·
It's a 2020 krx. We have had the issue off and on for a while. I am trying to help my husband get answers. He is a mechanic of 25 plus years and he is just not sure. He hasn't checked the fuel filer. He said it is in the tank. He took vent line lose and it didn't help. And air filter isn't issue. We have big ride coming up and local shop is no help!

#9 ·
He took air filter out completely and it still did it.
What is it idling at the throttle cable can come loose on top of the pedal. Look at the rpms and see if they are going low or high. Could it have bad gas. Are there any lights on the dash? The forum loves to help everyone out if we can we just NEED more info
He said it idles fine. When in park if you push on gas and raise the RPM and just hits a point where it starts sputtering and dies. This has been happening for a while now but progressively gets worse

#7 ·
If someone near you has a Dynojet PV3 you could plug it in and read diagnostics. It also can monitor parameters including throttle position which would tell you if the throttle is actually opening. Off hand it sounds like a fuel issue, either fuel filter or pump failure.

#14 ·
I don’t think the fuel filter is difficult to check. It is inside the tank. I have not, but many have opened that up to bend the float to try and make the gas gauge read better.

#19 ·
Can you post a video of it running. You are getting fuel because it starts but you are starving it when you floor it. So the pump could be blocked at the pickup tube or the screen Or the filter. Bad gas will do wonders for these toys by bad it could be in your can you use or anything. Try to get a video and what are the rpms doing not the fuel pressure

#20 ·
just for what it's worth...... several automotive manufacturers have had recalls due to bad electric fuel pumps. the top of the Kawi fuel pump module sure looks exactly like the ones i deal with every day from the automotive world that we are replacing fuel pumps under recall. also it could be something like an o-ring on that fuel pump module that is leaking fuel back into the tank (no external leak) causing low available fuel flow/pressure when there is higher fuel demand.
also the obvious things like all air intake boots from the air cleaner to the intake manifold are secure and tight, etc.

#21 ·
He took the fuel pump part and the fuel
just for what it's worth...... several automotive manufacturers have had recalls due to bad electric fuel pumps. the top of the Kawi fuel pump module sure looks exactly like the ones i deal with every day from the automotive world that we are replacing fuel pumps under recall. also it could be something like an o-ring on that fuel pump module that is leaking fuel back into the tank (no external leak) causing low available fuel flow/pressure when there is higher fuel demand.
also the obvious things like all air intake boots from the air cleaner to the intake manifold are secure and tight, etc.
He took the fuel pump apart and the fuel filter was black looking and there was sediment in the tank. So we drained tank and ordered to filter tonight. I hope it get here next week before our big 4th of July ride! I also hope that's the only issue!

#24 ·
99% of the time you are never ever going to need to replace the fuel pickup filter (pickup sock)...... if you make sure to clean around your filler neck before you take it off to fill and use only fresh quality fuel from a clean fuel filler you will never have a problem. from my experiences most new cars and light trucks don't even have a "fuel filter" to change anymore, just the fuel sock. i think the only fuel filter equipped vehicles i've seen are all diesel powered.

if you do wish to pull the fuel pump module and change the fuel sock, make sure to ask for any sealing rings/ o-rings and if there is a plastic lock ring holding the module to the fuel tank get a new one of those.if the lock ring is plastic you may want to buy the correct tool(s) to remove/install it as one of the major problems we're having performing this recall is breaking the fuel pump module when trying to loosen the plastic lock ring, as from what i'm experiencing the plastic lock ring and the fuel pump module are made of the same plastic and will slightly 'weld' to each other and can result in a broken fuel pump module if care is not taken when removing and installing the module. the modules we deal with are on a 1-2 week backorder.

#26 ·
Agreed, Yamaha puts it behind the door now.

My dealer wanted to change the fuel sock when I took it in for the torn cv boot. I agreed just to throw them a bone. But I said I wanted the old one. Looking at it, it seems simple enough to clean. So if you can’t get one and want to ride… Of course this is not ideal and you run the risk of fouling the injectors.

#33 ·
A couple of times mine was acting real weird didnt have any power at all went real slow n didnt matter how much u pushed down on the peddle here I must of bumped the slow switch on the dash for rock crawling because when I turned it off just like that l had all the power back. Lol Just saying, it will also come up on the dash that its on as well.

#35 ·
Went to Montana on vacation , driving dirt roads. After awhile i started getting a flat spot when pedal depressed. Was driving at about 4000 - 5000 rpm. Hot out also. It has done off and on since new but not enough to matter. Any thoughts . checked fuel fiter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.