Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 krx. Push gas and it bottoms out. Almost dies. Any input would be appreciated. Just won't go. Stop and ease gas and it goes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
more history or accurate description of the machine would be helpful, but I'd start with making sure spark arrestor and air filter aren't plugged, or fuel filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2020 krx. We have had the issue off and on for a while. I am trying to help my husband get answers. He is a mechanic of 25 plus years and he is just not sure. He hasn't checked the fuel filer. He said it is in the tank. He took vent line lose and it didn't help. And air filter isn't issue. We have big ride coming up and local shop is no help!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
2020 krx. Push gas and it bottoms out. Almost dies. Any input would be appreciated. Just won't go. Stop and ease gas and it goes.
Couple questions.
Is it under warranty?
What exactly is “bottoms out”?

Check your safety Switch on your seat belt. You have to have your seat belt on for full power or it be bypassed via hard wire or jumper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is it idling at the throttle cable can come loose on top of the pedal. Look at the rpms and see if they are going low or high. Could it have bad gas. Are there any lights on the dash? The forum loves to help everyone out if we can we just NEED more info

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
77 Posts
If someone near you has a Dynojet PV3 you could plug it in and read diagnostics. It also can monitor parameters including throttle position which would tell you if the throttle is actually opening. Off hand it sounds like a fuel issue, either fuel filter or pump failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple questions.
Is it under warranty?
What exactly is “bottoms out”?

Check your safety Switch on your seat belt. You have to have your seat belt on for full power or it be bypassed via hard wire or jumper.
Not under warranty, I mean bottoms out by when you push on pedal it just won't go. It's like it cuts out, it doesn't die it just sputters and won't go over 30 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By chance has the air filter been removed and a rag/towel been put in the intake?
He took air filter out completely and it still did it.
What is it idling at the throttle cable can come loose on top of the pedal. Look at the rpms and see if they are going low or high. Could it have bad gas. Are there any lights on the dash? The forum loves to help everyone out if we can we just NEED more info
He said it idles fine. When in park if you push on gas and raise the RPM and just hits a point where it starts sputtering and dies. This has been happening for a while now but progressively gets worse

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I don’t think the fuel filter is difficult to check. It is inside the tank. I have not, but many have opened that up to bend the float to try and make the gas gauge read better.

·
Registered
894 Posts
fuel filter is easy to access, pull the passenger seat, and the round 5" disk. bend your float down 1/4" to make fuel gauge more accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my husband rigged up a gage to it and held it while I drove. Started at a psi of 42 and when I put it to floor it went down to like 15. He is going for a longer drive now because it seems to get worse the longer its driven.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
77 Posts
Spec fuel pressure is 43PSI. Flow should be 2.3oz in three seconds. There is no spec given for pressure at full throttle. It may be a flow issue which could be filter or pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can you post a video of it running. You are getting fuel because it starts but you are starving it when you floor it. So the pump could be blocked at the pickup tube or the screen Or the filter. Bad gas will do wonders for these toys by bad it could be in your can you use or anything. Try to get a video and what are the rpms doing not the fuel pressure

·
Registered
66 Posts
just for what it's worth...... several automotive manufacturers have had recalls due to bad electric fuel pumps. the top of the Kawi fuel pump module sure looks exactly like the ones i deal with every day from the automotive world that we are replacing fuel pumps under recall. also it could be something like an o-ring on that fuel pump module that is leaking fuel back into the tank (no external leak) causing low available fuel flow/pressure when there is higher fuel demand.
also the obvious things like all air intake boots from the air cleaner to the intake manifold are secure and tight, etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts