Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the spare tire and mount you really can't see anything using a mirror. Even the wide angle mirror doesn't let me see much of anything behind me. So today I installed a wireless digital camera system. If you're interested here's a link to it: Amazon.com: DoHonest V25 HD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera System 5 Inch TFT Monitor for Trucks,Cars,SUVs,Pickups,Vans,Campers Front/Rear View Camera Super Night Vision Waterproof Easy Installation

The pics show the install. The monitor power wire is only temporarily installed as I'm trying to decide which way I want to power it. (The unit comes with a set of wires with a cigarette lighter socket connector and a second set for hard wiring it.)

I originally intended to install the camera on the license plate which is what the manufacturer suggests. I found that view way too low for my tastes so I mounted it a bit higher as you can see it the photos. The suction cup monitor mount adheres really well to the roof but time will tell if it holds well enough on the trail.

Lastly, there was a little surprise in the instructions for install. Dohonest, the manufacturer offers five different "gifts" for buying the unit. You get to choose any one of them. The choices are:

1. A second camere to add to the system for forward facing.
2. A "buy-one-get-one offer for a second complete kit.
3. A power splitter for the cigarette lighter receptacle.
4. A larger dash-cam
5. A $30 Amazon gift card

Anyway, I'll report back here on its performance, after our ride on Friday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
How did you hook it up to come on? From the pics on Amazon it shows a ground and a positive connected to the reverse lights for the camera.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the camera wire up to the extra accessory wires near the driver side taillight. Super easy and accessible and it's power on only when the key is turned on. For the monitor screen you can see where I ran the wires temporarily along the cage cross bar, down the passenger window post and over to the lighter socket. The socket is also power on only when the key is turned on. You can see the white/clear zip ties I used up front. If I keep that wire routing I'll run the wires through some flexible conduit and clean up the routing with nylon zip ties.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sweet idea! I didn't even bother with a rearview mirror and just bought side mirrors. Seems to work for me... For now

·
Registered
389 Posts
Certain states (like here in AZ) you have to have a rear view mirror to be street legal.

Gotcha... I made mine street legal here in Ohio and I believe it was either left side mirror with a rear view or both side mirrors without a rearview.. at least I hope that's what it was!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Arizona BigPharm....about 30 miles south of Tucson. I've only been here since last July so I'm still learning things but I did do a bit of research on what was needed to make mine street legal. I originally had the Kawasaki wide rearview mirror installed when I bought it as part of a "street legal" package from the dealer and it is licensed street and OHV. But because the view was so restrictive I put side mirrors on also, which definitely helped. So I removed the rear view mirror when I installed this camera but I still have the side mirrors installed. Do you know where I can find out how Arizona defines what a rear view mirror is? I checked out ARS 28-964B and I think I'm still good with only the side mirrors. What do you think?

-------------

28-964B states:

B. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and motor driven cycle shall be equipped with a rearview mirror, seat and footrests for the operator. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle operated with a passenger shall be equipped with a seat and footrests for the passenger.

-------------

Since it specifically talks about motorcycles and ATV's which physically cannot have a regular rear view mirror so they utilize side mirrors, I'm thinking that same logic can be used for SxS's, meaning that having the side mirrors constitutes having a "rearview mirror". Would you agree? If I absolutely must, I'll reinstall the wide view mirror but that would force me to find a different mounting location for the monitor.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
I'm in Arizona BigPharm....about 30 miles south of Tucson. I've only been here since last July so I'm still learning things but I did do a bit of research on what was needed to make mine street legal. I originally had the Kawasaki wide rearview mirror installed when I bought it as part of a "street legal" package from the dealer and it is licensed street and OHV. But because the view was so restrictive I put side mirrors on also, which definitely helped. So I removed the rear view mirror when I installed this camera but I still have the side mirrors installed. Do you know where I can find out how Arizona defines what a rear view mirror is? I checked out ARS 28-964B and I think I'm still good with only the side mirrors. What do you think?

-------------

28-964B states:

B. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and motor driven cycle shall be equipped with a rearview mirror, seat and footrests for the operator. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle operated with a passenger shall be equipped with a seat and footrests for the passenger.

-------------

Since it specifically talks about motorcycles and ATV's which physically cannot have a regular rear view mirror so they utilize side mirrors, I'm thinking that same logic can be used for SxS's, meaning that having the side mirrors constitutes having a "rearview mirror". Would you agree? If I absolutely must, I'll reinstall the wide view mirror but that would force me to find a different mounting location for the monitor.
Brent I seriously think you’ll be fine with just the side mirrors. Plus you have the camera now. I have all 3 mirrors, but like you said, can’t see out the rear with the spare tire carrier, so I may do the same as you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts