Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new owner here, just took delivery last Wednesday. Please forgive my total ignorance as I know VERY little about UTV's. We've had it out on two pretty mellow rides so far and have about 80 miles on it.

This morning when I went out to start cleaning it up from our Saturday ride I noticed some fluid has been dripping from under the rear axle area. Closer inspection and it appears to be dripping from the bottom of the engine, just below the oil level window. But it's hard to tell if that's exactly where it's coming from or not. The attached photos show things pretty well. It looks to be oil and to my rookie eyes it seems like quite a bit, yet the oil level looks to be fine (right in the middle of the window). Is what I am seeing normal during break-in or do I have a problem and need to get it into the dealer ASAP?

Drip1.jpg Drip2.jpg Drip3.jpg Drip4.jpg

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
That’s definitely not normal. From the pics you posted, it looks more like it’s spraying out oil, then just a drip. The cooling line right in front of the oil window is covered in oil as well. Do like Thumper suggested and check the oil filter to make sure it’s tight. When your done checking that, take a clean rag and wipe off the area around that filter the best you can. Then take it for a short run around the block and check to see if any new oil appeared, if so, take it to the dealer ASAP. Do not keep running that machine like that, as it’ll spell disaster for that motor.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
163 Posts
Definitely looks like the oil filter area. If you can get us better pictures in that area it would help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I won't get a chance to dig into it further until tomorrow morning as I'm heading out to the airport to pick up family. But first thing tomorrow I'll get back into it and get more pictures. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks guys. I won't get a chance to dig into it further until tomorrow morning as I'm heading out to the airport to pick up family. But first thing tomorrow I'll get back into it and get more pictures. Thanks for your help!

I'd take it straight back to the dealer even if its a loose filter because if somehow dirt got in the engine it could be bad news and at least you will have it on record. Others may disagree but that's what a warranty is for and obviously it wasn't prepped right from the dealer if something is loose!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 90% sure it's oil. Feels like oil. Smells like oil. Looks like "brand new" oil as it's not dirty at all, which I'd expect as it's a brand new machine. Is there another lubricant that it could be at this location?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's definitely oil. I've added a couple more pics that I took this morning. The first one (drip10) shows the oil filter and the area around it. The second one (drip9) gives a good look at the dry dirt area and the "wet" dirt area. The filter is tight (could not move it by hand) and you can see there is zero oil leaking from it. As much as I tried to get pics that might show it's source it doesn't seem like I did.
The dealer is closed today so I'll call them tomorrow morning. Frustrating part is they are a 1 1/2 hour drive from here. I live right on the edge of one of the best off-road areas in this half of the state so they delivered the KRX to me as I wasn't planning to get a trailer for a couple months. So I expect I'm going to have to find me a trailer pretty fast as I doubt they will offer to come pick it up. Damn frustrating...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
Ok, then there may be a bad gasket on the oil filter, or something else is not right. Call the dealer and have them come get it. They did not prep the machine properly, as that should have been checked before delivery. If they give you any crap, email (so you have records) Kawasaki with the problem and the pictures. They’ll go after the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
Have you looked up at the oil drain plug to see if it is leaking from there? Could be not tightened properly or, maybe no crush washer. I would definitely contact your dealer about it regardless of what you find. (or don't find)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ironic that you mention the drain plug as the oil is dripping right out from the access hole to the plug that is in the skid plate. But I checked the plug and it seemed tight. I didn't want to pull the plug to check for the crush washer but I took for a short drive just around our cul-de-sac. Then I cleaned all around the plug and placed some clean towels under it to see if anything drips from there. The only thing that makes me doubt it is the plug is that there is a lot of oil up higher in the area just forward of the oil level inspection window. (See my earlier photos.) I suppose it's possible it sprayed up there from the plug but it seems unlikely. But maybe it did?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
spray the whole thing down with Carb or Brake cleaner and start from a fresh slate...so to speak. Get all traces of oil removed and see where it starts to weep from.
Good advice. Guess I had assumed that would have been done already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I'd pass along an update. Bad news is my dealer can't get me in for a couple weeks. But the good news is they have offered to pick up the KRX to get it to their shop. It's now been sitting for a week and at their request I haven't attempted to clean up any of the oil so as to give them the best chance of finding exactly where it is coming from. Several days ago I placed a fresh towel and a white rag on the garage floor under the area where the drip was, just to keep an eye on how much fluid was/is leaking. Since the rag has been dry I figured it had stopped, likely due to the fluid level dropping below the point of the leak.

Today I took another good look at things and there right in front of my nose I found a fresh drip hanging on the head of a bolt. Stuck my hand in behind the bolt and found an area with fresh oil leaking. No dirt in the area at all, just oil. I'm 99% sure this is the area the leaking is originating from but since it's hidden from direct view I can't really get a better look. (Wish I had a small inspection mirror.) But that said, I've attached three more photos of the bolt in question. If you were to stick your hand directly behind the bolt (same direction the camera is facing) that area feels quite oily. Maybe someone here that is a lot smarter than me has an idea of where/what part(s) the leak is coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I probably should have given a little more info on the photos. First photo shows a close up of the bolt. Look closely and you can see the oil drip hanging off the bolt. It's VERY clean oil so hard to see. Second and third photos are just to give you a better idea where the bolt is located.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought I'd pass along an update. Bad news is my dealer can't get me in for a couple weeks. But the good news is they have offered to pick up the KRX to get it to their shop. It's now been sitting for a week and at their request I haven't attempted to clean up any of the oil so as to give them the best chance of finding exactly where it is coming from. Several days ago I placed a fresh towel and a white rag on the garage floor under the area where the drip was, just to keep an eye on how much fluid was/is leaking. Since the rag has been dry I figured it had stopped, likely due to the fluid level dropping below the point of the leak.

Today I took another good look at things and there right in front of my nose I found a fresh drip hanging on the head of a bolt. Stuck my hand in behind the bolt and found an area with fresh oil leaking. No dirt in the area at all, just oil. I'm 99% sure this is the area the leaking is originating from but since it's hidden from direct view I can't really get a better look. (Wish I had a small inspection mirror.) But that said, I've attached three more photos of the bolt in question. If you were to stick your hand directly behind the bolt (same direction the camera is facing) that area feels quite oily. Maybe someone here that is a lot smarter than me has an idea of where/what part(s) the leak is coming from.

Good to hear your dealer is picking it up! As I said in my first comment...I wouldn't even have wasted my time with a new unit and good warranty. Curious to see what the dealer finds. I will be following for updates

1 - 20 of 21 Posts