Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

My krx doesn't want to start, stalls out

12K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Russo891 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've got a 2020 krx 1000,at about 1200 miles. VFJ stage 2, Evo exhaust, cage, winch, radios, light bars, rockights, zbros spring kit. Was running great, although top speeds only 61. I just changed diff oils, washed it, and installed rcor clutch weights. Took it on a test ride and it feels rough midrange, almost like it needs more fuel. And when I stop it idles way down to like 800rpm then stalls and dies. Doesn't want to start. I can get it start if I give it wide open throttle, but then it will just die again. Neither clutch is spinning in neutral.
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up.

See less See more
#3 ·
might sound off but.... are the clutch weights installed correctly? from your story it sounds like the problems started then.... maybe? also pull the gas cap and put it back on, if it's a tank venting problem that will fix it for a while until a vacuum builds in the tank again.

#4 ·
I cleaned the fuel screen, it was a little dirty but not bad. I think I installed them Correctly, I followed RCORs YouTube video and talked to him on the phone to make sure I did everything right, but that is when the problem started. Maybe I'll try putting the stock weights back on just to verify if that's the problem or not. And I'll try different screw in weights, but the clutch weights shouldn't affect it in neutral and it still wants to die in neutral. Hopefully get it figured out here soon.

#11 ·
Before I took anything apart, I would see if it ran on starting fluid. Listen with the fuel cap off and see if you can hear it prime. Also, you may want to try unplugging the mass airflow sensor. Computer should switch to a failsafe fueling map and run, since it will run it a little fat on fuel to make sure the engine will at least stay running.

#12 ·
Try your spark arrest or
Hello all, I've got a 2020 krx 1000,at about 1200 miles. VFJ stage 2, Evo exhaust, cage, winch, radios, light bars, rockights, zbros spring kit. Was running great, although top speeds only 61. I just changed diff oils, washed it, and installed rcor clutch weights. Took it on a test ride and it feels rough midrange, almost like it needs more fuel. And when I stop it idles way down to like 800rpm then stalls and dies. Doesn't want to start. I can get it start if I give it wide open throttle, but then it will just die again. Neither clutch is spinning in neutral.
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up. View attachment 4044
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up. View attachment 4044
Check spark arrestor. Had similar issues and it was clogged

#15 ·
I tried everything simple, and no go.
b
ad news. I melted a hole in my #2 piston. Not sure how. But I ordered the pv3 tuner to dyno tune and get rid of the VFJ flash. A billet fuel rail to make sure each cylinder receives equal parts fuel, and a new pump assembly for good measure.

#19 ·
Could reach out to these guys and see if they still have an engine. I bet it’d be way cheaper than the dealer.

#23 ·
that makes sense, they wouldn't want the bad PR if their tunes caused damage like that........... looks like way too much timing for pump gas on that one. a buddy of mine used to build full race jet skis (probably still does but i havent seen him in years since he moved). he had some that ran friggin awesome, but they would only run on race gas. if you filled them with regular premium pump gas they would still melt down and you'd be swimming back.

#25 ·
They work fine if you're conservative and be realistic about the tune. The ecu can make accommodations within a reasonable extent. However if you push the limits, the ecu can only do so much. "Skin of the teeth" tunes should never be done by email, I agree, since every individual engine is different and it would pay for people who are going to tune to get a wideband gauge to know if they are lean and can let off. I know a lot if tuners in the VW scene who do email tunes ask for your stock file first, then make the customizations off of that. That's what they did with my tdi, since the ecu saves its adaptations to the stock map. I don't think the krx ecu does this, the only thing you can get is the base map.

#27 ·
I went with CP forged high compression pistons and a new cylinder. Ordered a new fuel pump, high flow screen, and a billet fuel rail in case it was a fuel issue. Going ti have it dyno tuned with a pv3 tuner in case it was flash tune based. Having the head ported and valves adjusted. Got new seats, harnesses, skid plate, nerf bars, and intake deletes on the way! Hopefully all problems solved!

#28 ·

#29 ·
Looking at ur pictures,is the primary use of ur machine at the sand dunes?is this where the piston failure accrued?

#32 ·
I have a question. Can you erase the VFJ tune with the PV3? Dynotune told me you couldnt alter. Others said you need to load a stock tune first. VFJ said he would flash it back to stock but would rather do it myself. I am getting the Kraffwerks Supercharger - as long as my credit cards hold out LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.