Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Krx1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've got a 2020 krx 1000,at about 1200 miles. VFJ stage 2, Evo exhaust, cage, winch, radios, light bars, rockights, zbros spring kit. Was running great, although top speeds only 61. I just changed diff oils, washed it, and installed rcor clutch weights. Took it on a test ride and it feels rough midrange, almost like it needs more fuel. And when I stop it idles way down to like 800rpm then stalls and dies. Doesn't want to start. I can get it start if I give it wide open throttle, but then it will just die again. Neither clutch is spinning in neutral.
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Check fuel filter. Pull passenger seat, then remove the screws on the round cover and it comes right out. NO SMOKING!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
might sound off but.... are the clutch weights installed correctly? from your story it sounds like the problems started then.... maybe? also pull the gas cap and put it back on, if it's a tank venting problem that will fix it for a while until a vacuum builds in the tank again.

·
Registered
2020 Krx1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned the fuel screen, it was a little dirty but not bad. I think I installed them Correctly, I followed RCORs YouTube video and talked to him on the phone to make sure I did everything right, but that is when the problem started. Maybe I'll try putting the stock weights back on just to verify if that's the problem or not. And I'll try different screw in weights, but the clutch weights shouldn't affect it in neutral and it still wants to die in neutral. Hopefully get it figured out here soon.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
I cleaned the fuel screen, it was a little dirty but not bad. I think I installed them Correctly, I followed RCORs YouTube video and talked to him on the phone to make sure I did everything right, but that is when the problem started. Maybe I'll try putting the stock weights back on just to verify if that's the problem or not. And I'll try different screw in weights, but the clutch weights shouldn't affect it in neutral and it still wants to die in neutral. Hopefully get it figured out here soon.
If the fuel filter was not black, you may have a fouled plug or two.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Vehicles with aftermarket performance parts and tunes are becoming a trending pattern for failure lately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
are all the things such as the air intake tubes and such attached correctly and not loose? maybe something such as a mass airflow sensor, manifold pressure sensor or such got left loose. the problem as you describe it sounds almost exactly like when any late model vehicle with a mass airflow system has a loose intake hose.... they will start up and once the engine 'catches' they die because the computer cannot see any airflow (or incorrect) into the engine. just a thought

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know a few people on the forum have had to get their valves adjusted. Wouldn’t surprise me if you had some that were a little tight giving you these issues

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before I took anything apart, I would see if it ran on starting fluid. Listen with the fuel cap off and see if you can hear it prime. Also, you may want to try unplugging the mass airflow sensor. Computer should switch to a failsafe fueling map and run, since it will run it a little fat on fuel to make sure the engine will at least stay running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try your spark arrest or
Hello all, I've got a 2020 krx 1000,at about 1200 miles. VFJ stage 2, Evo exhaust, cage, winch, radios, light bars, rockights, zbros spring kit. Was running great, although top speeds only 61. I just changed diff oils, washed it, and installed rcor clutch weights. Took it on a test ride and it feels rough midrange, almost like it needs more fuel. And when I stop it idles way down to like 800rpm then stalls and dies. Doesn't want to start. I can get it start if I give it wide open throttle, but then it will just die again. Neither clutch is spinning in neutral.
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up. View attachment 4044
Battery reads 13v, but drops to 11 when cranking. Think I might need a new battery, but that shouldn't cause these issues I don't think. I'm thinking maybe I got sand in the fuel pump, but I can't find any info on how to remove them or clean them. Also Thinking maybe moisture in a plug under the dash from pressure washing, even though I don't wash any of the interior. Anyone experienced this or have any insight? Is there a fuel filter somewhere, or just on the fuel pump? I just put new spark plugs in a month ago and I always let it warm up. View attachment 4044
Check spark arrestor. Had similar issues and it was clogged

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Krx1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried everything simple, and no go.
b
ad news. I melted a hole in my #2 piston. Not sure how. But I ordered the pv3 tuner to dyno tune and get rid of the VFJ flash. A billet fuel rail to make sure each cylinder receives equal parts fuel, and a new pump assembly for good measure.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Could reach out to these guys and see if they still have an engine. I bet it’d be way cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts