Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of all the fender flare/mudflap choices out there, I chose MudBuster’s SuperMax full set. It was the same price as their Max set, so I figured why not go with a little more coverage for the same price? All my local riding is on open unpaved roads, no tight trails or rocky terrain. Tight trail and rock riders might want to opt for a little less coverage for visibility, perhaps the Max set or one of their Lite sets. MudBuster states their products are made to order. Product arrived in eight days, four pieces of cut and bent polymer, 16 push rivets, a handful of self-tapping screws and installation instructions.
Front: Take out 5 existing push rivets, test fit and adjust/re-bend the poly to fit, re-install with their rivets and finish with several screws. I opted to re-use the original rivets instead of the smallish screws. If I ever get into a tight situation, I’d rather the flares popped off instead of being torn off. Even with the new rivets installed, I was easily able to re-position the flares as needed before attaching them. I did use a screw in the very front because of the limited backing in that area. There is a small but usable space where the hood and factory flare are held together with a clip, presenting two layers of material to screw into.
Rear: Take out 2 existing rivets, test fit and adjust/re-bend the poly to fit, re-install with their rivets and finish with several screws. I used rivets on the rear flares also. There is plenty of available mounting surface. Measure twice, drill once.
Observations: Start to finish was an hour. I did have to re-bend all four for a better fit, I suspect they flatten out during shipping. Re-bend the flares before you install the rivets. I also took the time to measure and replicate rivet placement. I dipped into my stash for a few push rivets and used a 19/64” drill bit for a snug fit. The end of a hammer handle works great to push rivets in.
Appearance: I expect these flares to get beat up, but I also suspect they will last a long time based on the installation and my riding environment. They certainly do change the look of the machine, but not quite to the huge Dumbo floppy ears look I’ve seen with some flare sets. Depending on the roost pattern, I may add a few inches of poly to the bottom of the flares where needed. Gotta go find some mud first…..

The fronts

The front edge fits really well. With the five original push rivets in, it is very easy to get this edge to line up and look like this. This is where I used one of the screws.

The rears

The rear edge fits really well. Also used a screw here at the very end.

The view from the driver's seat may not be optimal for rock crawlers. For mud rats like me, coverage is more important.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
255 Posts
Very nice write-up, thanks!

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs, RCOR Weights, Cagewrx Cage, 32" Rock-a-Billys
76 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got any shots of the whole machine?
As requested. Tusk rear and UTVZilla front glass not installed yet. Shift gate is enroute. That will be the end of the farkle for a while. Focusing next on tender springs & clutch weights.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs, RCOR Weights, Cagewrx Cage, 32" Rock-a-Billys
76 Posts
Good looking machine (y)

I like the blue color scheme best even though I ended up with a trail edition.

·
Registered
2021 Blue
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Kawasaki green is legendary, but I'm partial to blue.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No Offense, just my opinion, but the factory fender flares are the only fender extensions that look good to me. They flow with the body lines and fit the style of machine, all the riveted flat sheet of plastic look like some 8th grade Jr High shop project. I've got a $40K machine and don't want some hack job looking plastic add on.

If it works for you, great. Maybe they do rip off easier as a type of break-away fender flare in tight trees is the only advantage I see these offering beside being a cheaper alternative.

I do like your white T-rex sticker, I ran one on my Blue KRX.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,550 Posts
No Offense, just my opinion, but the factory fender flares are the only fender extensions that look good to me. They flow with the body lines and fit the style of machine, all the riveted flat sheet of plastic look like some 8th grade Jr High shop project. I've got a $40K machine and don't want some hack job looking plastic add on.

If it works for you, great. Maybe they do rip off easier as a type of break-away fender flare in tight trees is the only advantage I see these offering beside being a cheaper alternative.

I do like your white T-rex sticker, I ran one on my Blue KRX. View attachment 5637
I agree but it’s hard to swallow $500 for a piece of plastic.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,298 Posts
all the riveted flat sheet of plastic look like some 8th grade Jr High shop project. I've got a $40K machine and don't want some hack job looking plastic add on.
No offense to you, but that theory went right out the window when you added that god awful muffler cover to yours. Talk about 8th grade shop project.

·
Registered
2021 Blue
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any updates on this SuperMax? I'm torn between Max and SuperMax. Plan to move to 33's later on so maybe SuperMax. Any regrets? Wish you had more/less coverage?
No regrets whatsoever. They are rock solid and don't interfere with anything. Lack of rain has made suitable mud hard to find, so I head down to the river bottom to kick some up. Coverage is more than adequate and the cab is alot cleaner after a romp. The Max would have been a huge improvement over nothing, but I went SuperMax because they were the same price. I still have the stock tires on and don't have to contend with tight trails or other challenges where the extra width would be a problem. The extra coverage will be a plus when I upgrade to a larger tire.

Reactions: Paul65 and 1911cdp

·
Registered
248 Posts
No regrets whatsoever. They are rock solid and don't interfere with anything. Lack of rain has made suitable mud hard to find, so I head down to the river bottom to kick some up. Coverage is more than adequate and the cab is alot cleaner after a romp. The Max would have been a huge improvement over nothing, but I went SuperMax because they were the same price. I still have the stock tires on and don't have to contend with tight trails or other challenges where the extra width would be a problem. The extra coverage will be a plus when I upgrade to a larger tire.
Yeah, buddy! I ordered them yesterday on Ebay. Forgot they're up in Phoenix and I'm in Tucson so they'll be here tomorrow. Had Mudbusters on my xp 1000 and will have them again. I did some rock play in my xp 1000 and they scraped here and there but were just fine. Just curious to see when they arrive if I should've gone Ultra Max or Max. SuperMax was what I went with. Figure it'll afford me a tire size up in the future. Ultra would be for mainly mud which I don't do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts