Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a sport side by side in the next couple of weeks. I'm stuck between the KRX1000, YXZ1000R SS, and Maverick X3 DS Turbo R. Unfortunately, there's not a dealership around me that has all 3 models on display so I can't check them out in person.

I'm sure others have debated between these 3 models, why did you choose the KRX1000 over the others?
If you were to do it again, would you choose something different?
If you had a chance to sit in more than one of these, which tends to have more leg and shoulder room?

I'm leaning towards the KRX1000 because I've seen a few dealership listing them for $1,000-3,000 off MSRP. Most of my riding will be more desert-based vs wooded trails.

I know these are newbie questions, but it's a big investment for me so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello there, I just went through this as it is a lot of money one the line. I was stuck between the Rmax, Talon, X3, and KRX. The YZX was not even on my radar because it has no low range and the suspension sucks in my opinion (it is a short track car in my eyes). I settled on the KRX do to the suspension, build quality, and I had no need for a turbo.

The X3 is nice, but I felt that you sit too low inside the unit, and the visibility out of it was horrible for my wife who is 5'1". They are fun and most of my friends have them but it was not for me. They also seem to eat belts every dune trip, my friends tend to change there belts 3-4 times a year and that is expensive, but 195 hp is fun.

I really liked the Rmax but the cost for what you were getting was not there. The Rmax is also a sport utility and I have one of those already, but I did like the 4 seats and Yamaha reliability. The seats where nice and build quality was there, but the back seat was hard to get in and out of for a full sized adult. You get less suspension travel compared to the KRX, so look at how you're going to ride that may be a factor for you.

I also looked at the Talon, and really liked it. The down side of the Talon is the suspension geometry is not there and it only comes with I4wd. I know the I4wd system is good but I don't like it and wanted a true locking front diff. The Talon come in a 2 and 4 seater as well with a wide or more narrow set up for the suspension. You can also get a factory authorized turbo kit for them to boost your HP by 60%, the 6 speed DCT is great. The down side to the DTC (transmission) is if you change out the tire size is will throw the shift points off depending how big you go.

I chose the KRX for the comfort, and build quality. I am still in the break in period but very happy with the machine. The steering is effortless, the suspension is plush, and room in the cabin is great. I have very few complaints with the KRX, I would recommend you sit in each one before you buy. I ordered my from out of state and saved big time, even after I paid to ship it cross country, and paid the taxes.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'll give you my input.
I currently have a KRX 1000, X3 XRS RR, and a RZR Pro XP. I don't even know why I have them all anymore but I bought them to give them all a whirl and lend them to family and/or friends when they come to visit.

Of the 3 the KRX is hands down more comfortable and easier to drive. The KRX handles crawling, cruising, and even at speed whoops with big g outs the best. Yes, that's right, IMO, the KRX is the better planted and smoothest ride when pushed hard and fast. I can ride all day and not get fatigued. The KRX lacks the quickness and speed compared to the two. KRX is the most stout with everything beefy and double shear.

The X3 is the least comfortable ride. I do not like the riding position and it's louder than hell. Feels like I got hit by a train after a whole days ride. It is very fast. Handles well and is great in the sand. Mine isn't that old and is already showing fatigue on the chassis. I have put gusset kits in and this thing seems like it's trying to kill itself. Visibility is terrible. Nothing on the X3 is beefy and the most important places are single shear which is lame.

The Pro is a middle ground between the two. Has great power but at speeds the rear likes to wiggle. The Dynamix is neat but it bottoms out a lot. The seats like to get wet and never dry. I can go on but I am sure by now you can tell I am a KRX fan over the others.

My good friend has a YXZ with a tune and pipe and I have driven it. It's fun but it is rough and feels sketchy crawling or high speed through whoops. I personally would not buy one unless my goal was to race track or something small.

The price you got quoted looks pretty good for the KRX.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your input. One dealer quoted me $18,298 OTD (includes destination+ set-up) on a KRX1000. Hard not to pull the trigger on that....

I just paid $17800 OTD from ATV's and More less than two weeks again. Now I did need to get it shipped and pay the taxes when I got it home but still saved over $2500 off anything local to me, mine is also register for on and off road use, that is cost more.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have both KRX and X3. The KRX is a cruiser while the X3 is built for speed. For me the X3 is a lot more fun to drive but I like to go fast. KRX has a more comfortable ride but lacks the power of a turbo car. KRX is built much stronger and should require less work to keep going. I dont recommend the X3 to anyone whos not comfortable turning a wrench. Im also dealing with frame cracks on my X3 and have had to do a lot to strengthen the chassis. Gusset kit, shock tower brace, etc. None of thats needed on the KRX but you pay the price in extra weight that comes with it.

Ive ridden in YXZs and they just dont interest me. Too short wheelbase and harsh ride. Too high strung of a motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick question....
The Kawasaki website indicates an msrp of $20499 for the base model. How much is the destination charge? One dealer quoted me $900 and another quoted me $1,100. I know it may vary but do these numbers sound about right?

·
Registered
259 Posts
All those add on charges are highly negotiable. All about supply/demand. Personally I wont pay them.

FWIW we picked up our leftover 2020 for ~$18.5K OTD in CA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two side by sides. I bought my 2020 YXZ SSXT-R last February. I put 3000 miles on it without a single issue. On the trails nothing is more fun than a paddle shift transmission period. Launch control is a close second. Due to the width of the KRX in my home state the KRX was my first choice by the way I chose the YXZ .

The interior on the KRX is massive and even with my big shoulders they don’t touch the inner door panels. not to mention it’s built like a tank. I bought my 2020 KRX two weeks ago and have loved it so far.
My YXZ is currently for sale my advice to you is this . Just pick the one that is more suited to where you ride and what terrain you will spend your time in

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,234 Posts
Not sure what "desert based" riding means. If they are still rough and bumpy trails, the KRX suspension will allow you to ride them faster and smoother than a high HP machine with not so good suspension. And, from what I've seen, the KRX will hold up much better to that type of riding as well. It is built like a tank.
I would most definitely choose the KRX again over anything else currently on the market. It's not perfect, but in my opinion it's the best machine on the market for everything other than dune running and drag racing.
You really do need to check out all three machines in person that you listed before spending your money for one. The last thing you want to do is buy something and then figure out you like a different one better once you actually see one. As you said, it's a big investment so it's worth taking the time to check them all out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned a supercharged yxz, and it was scary fast, but the suspension was not there! The people I know who own X3's , are always looking for parts or breaking down. The KRX is the one machine on the market that doesn't need to upgrades to be reliable. I am planning on desert racing mine, so when you look at the lap times the average speeds are typically in the 40's, and 50's. With this suspension I believe I will have higher average speeds because I can do the rough stuff faster than in the yxz! Just my two cents!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just took my 2021 to the dunes this weekend and was only one in our group with a SXS riding with super fast sand cars (BIG V8 ) and i could run in the middle of the pack with stock tires with 8 psi and if it had a tune and exhaust it would be faster than you could drive it thru the dunes but as for drags and just running the hills thats a different story but if thats your gig go buy a big V8 car and save yourself the heartache.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts