Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like we are going to start getting into some heavy night time riding as it starts getting much hotter here in Arizona. So I'm looking at adding some lights and I'd like to hear some recommendations on what people have and how well they like (or dislike) them.

I don't want to go super expensive but I also don't want to go so cheap that they will break after one ride. I was thinking a light bar for the front of the cage and maybe something facing rearward also. But that said I'm open to other suggestions too. Nirvana for me would be inexpensive, high quality, and good/bright lighting. But wouldn't that be the case for all of us? :)

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
559 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
See my lightbar post here: LOVE IT and get lots of compliments.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition
28 Posts
See my lightbar post here: LOVE IT and get lots of compliments.

560w!? You better have the alternator if you plan on using that more than 10 minutes. 560 watts at 14v is 40amps.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition
28 Posts
I started with the 42" version of the bar I posted. It was rated at 240w, which is almost 20 amps on the calculator. In reality it drew 12 amps. Still enough to pull my battery down after a very short time. So I switched to the shorter bar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff guys. This will give me a starting point. I think my biggest challenge is going to be deciding whether or not I need the alternator kit. Current add-ons I have that draw power are the Rugged Radio kit, street legal kit, and my rearview camera kit.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition
28 Posts
Good stuff guys. This will give me a starting point. I think my biggest challenge is going to be deciding whether or not I need the alternator kit. Current add-ons I have that draw power are the Rugged Radio kit, street legal kit, and my rearview camera kit.
You might also consider a battery upgrade to the odyssey PC925. I ordered one but don't have it yet. The alternator just looks way too exposed, and also quite pricey. I'm hoping with a better battery and jump pack I'll be able to avoid it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i actually run a 42" LED light bar from Tractor Supply (hey, it was a Christmas gift from the family) to the front/top of the windshield area, and was surprised at how well it works, the quality and brightness of the light seems great and so far it's taken all the beatings I've thrown at it.... we mounted another one on our Yamaha Wolverine and it's held up great with no issues either, and as it's our work/play machine quite often it gets used at night for illumination while working on the fencelines and such. they don't seem to draw very much current.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
861 Posts
Nilight 42” curved bar with black housing from amazon. The ends are flood lights and the center is a spot beam. Over 1 year use with no issues using EMP brackets. All the light you need. Occasionally they have a sale and they drop to around $45.

·
Registered
774 Posts
First I ran a single row 38" and wasn't happy with the little amount of light it threw, the 42" double row curved really helps light up the night. So bright you could almost weld with it.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition
33 Posts
8 amps measured.

your calculation of 40 amps is for inductive/resistive loads. Not LED
Ohms law doesn't lie. If the bar is actually 560 watts it will draw 40 amps at 14v. Maybe they mean it has equivalent light output to a 560w light bulb while using less power?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I mounted baja designs S2 pros in the bumper. I used a stainless spacer and bolted them into the threads in the frame. I got an oem headlight switch and a skene dimmer so I have running lights, medium, high and then 100% when the high beams are on. I'm really happy with how it came out. I like that they are well protected since we and end up pushing through a lot of brush around here. I didn't want a light bar getting hit by branches.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,070 Posts
I swear by nilight or auxbeam ... they are cheap, super bright and last. I have used them for yrs with ZERO problems
I've been running Auxbeam for years on my different machines. Love them. I have yet to spend more than $28 on any of them, and have had exactly 0 failures with any of them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts