Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the companies that have weight kits are.... RCOR, Dalton, DynoJet and it looks like JBS is coming out soon. (Add any that I’ve missed)

They all seem similar in design except the JBS ones. His weights are pretty much flat, vs others that have a slight curve to them. What, if any, are the advantages of this?

Also, the Dalton kit comes with a different primary spring. Should the primary spring be changed on all these other kits? I know Dalton has been in the sled side of clutching for a long time, do they know something others don’t?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I know Dalton has been in the sled side of clutching for a long time, do they know something others don’t?

They know this:

Important notes regarding this vehicle - There is no warranty on the flyweights in this clutch kit for flyweight “roller surface wear”.

We have seen some wear issues with the factory primary clutch on this vehicle that in our opinion, seems to be premature primary clutch parts wear. Worn clutch parts can wear other new components that get installed into the same clutch. We have noted that the stock flyweights have a Chrome type surface that can sometimes deteriorate and appear to cause wear to the surface of the rollers making the surface abrasive. Also, we feel that the bushings in the primary rollers seem to not roll as freely as they should when under pressure after a short amount of use. If the flyweights do not roll perfectly freely and smooth when under pressure, it can cause drag on the flyweight roller surface. This vehicle is a new model, and we hope to see future factory updates. We can not warranty wear on the roller surface of the flyweights, as we have seen worn flyweights (both stock and various aftermarket) weights in this application.

Personally, I lean to their, and RCOR's product. Since my tenders still aren't sagging, despite my fat ass, I need to spend $$$ on something KRX so clutching is on that short list.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that on their site. It seems Kawasaki needs to address the clutch issues with this machine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Dalton kit also comes with a new secondary spring. The spring adds more belt tension and backshifts quicker. They also have a threaded hole in the side of the tip for additional weight for bigger HP upgrades. Their primary spring rate is matched to their weights weight so u probably wouldn't want to run a stock spring with it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I saw that on their site. It seems Kawasaki needs to address the clutch issues with this machine.
I hear kawi is coming out with a new clutch set up...that's the talk on here anyways. I'm interested in a clutch kit as well but I'm kinda waiting to see what kraftwerks is going to do with their clutching before I make a move. Once my extended warranty runs out if I still have my kRX it'll get supercharged and by that time there should be plenty of input and maybe even more turbo/superchargers out.
But then again I am thinking about placing my order for a speed bandit and selling my kRX...I'm teetering on the fence.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Dalton kit also comes with a new secondary spring. The spring adds more belt tension and backshifts quicker. They also have a threaded hole in the side of the tip for additional weight for bigger HP upgrades. Their primary spring rate is matched to their weights weight so u probably wouldn't want to run a stock spring with it.
Right. So that asks the question, why don’t the other weight kits come with a new spring set? Is there an advantage of doing that? Or are other weights better set up at using the existing spring?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know one thing every company that's active on fourms claims theirs are the best.... I sent my primary to river rat and let them work their magic on mine. I have delt some with RCOR and they do have great customer service and seem to be some good guys. JBS has a flat profile on their weights from the pictures. Also some small dealings with them nothing negative to say. Dalton seems to be closest in profile and size to OEM they also come with some thrust washers which is cool IMO. I'm not a pro but I think the springs are to aid in back shifting. Not sure if it's necessary or not. RCOR is a custom profile that's wider. Not sure if any of this was useful just some things I picked up while lurking...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’ve herd rumors of a recall coming on the clutches. I would imagine that it’s going to be a while because of supply shortages.
Be nice if they did and it was a whole new system...the buttery smooth is great but something with a little more snap would be perfect. Again that's why I'm kinda holding off to see what's going to happen plus all the kits are way over priced IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be nice if they did and it was a whole new system...the buttery smooth is great but something with a little more snap would be perfect. Again that's why I'm kinda holding off to see what's going to happen plus all the kits are way over priced IMHO.
I don’t think they will change the clutching dynamics, but rather a stronger material to avoid the grooving that is happening.

I’ve read both sides of the argument. Some say it’s the stitching on the OEM belt that is causing the grooving, and others are stating that it’s too soft of a metal. (As you can see by the disclaimer in Daltons kit) Either way, I believe there will be better clutches coming to market in the not to distant future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the RCOR just put them in a week ago. My KRX has approx 600 miles. I could see off-angle wearing from the tip to the pivot location on my stock weights. Like they are twisting in the housing and noticeable grove at the end near the pin/pivot side. Images don't show it too well but you will get a good idea what I'm talking about.

You can also see the width/thickness difference from stock to RCOR weights.

I was surprised by that much wear at 600 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the RCOR just put them in a week ago. My KRX has approx 600 miles. I could see off-angle wearing from the tip to the pivot location on my stock weights. Like they are twisting in the housing and noticeable grove at the end near the pin/pivot side. Images don't show it too well but you will get a good idea what I'm talking about.

View attachment 3230

View attachment 3229

How are the new weights performance wise

·
Registered
37 Posts

View attachment 3230

View attachment 3229
How are the new weights performance wise
I can't tell much because I added them a month after my tune. I added them more because I have heard issues with stock weights and that was the the same issue with mine glad I changed them out. My tune made a huge improvement night and day differnce to the way the KRX drives and shifts.

·
Registered
389 Posts

View attachment 3230

View attachment 3229

I can't tell much because I added them a month after my tune. I added them more because I have heard issues with stock weights and that was the the same issue with mine glad I changed them out. My tune made a huge improvement night and day differnce to the way the KRX drives and shifts.

That's why I haven't made a move on clutching. I get why replacing them over the stock but a lot of people are clutching for response and if you cant tell much of a difference it seems a waste to buy until the factory ones wear out. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe on a stock krx tune, you may notice a difference with aftermarket weights..

But I can imagine stock tune and aftermarket clutch would out-perforce custom tune and stock clutch.

This is just my opinion. I felt like krx woke up dramatically after the tune. The strange shifts and flat spots cleared up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have friends that did the tune first and clutch later and did clutch first and tune later. They said the first change was really noticeable and the 2nd, not so much. My opinion is the stock weights are junk and speeds up the primary wear. The weights start grooving and holds the primary in specific spots where the weights notch. The grooving of the weights are harder on the rollers and bushing also. If I was staying around a 31"-32" tire any of the weights are good. If your running a 34-35", I think the Dalton kit with the secondary spring is a good option for getting a quicker backshift for the bigger tires. If you plan to SC or Turbo, the Dalton kit will give you more weight options. The Dynojet weights have a good adjustment range too.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Just ordered my RCOR weights and belt this morning. I have just over 600 miles on my machine and want to keep the sleeves in the best possible condition. Why I'm doing it early. A friend of mine has the RCOR set and loves it. Going with in person experience with the weight set.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My opinion is, we’re all beta testers for aftermarket products. What seems to work for 1, not so much for 2.
I think a good set of weights to replace the weak factory ones, is a must do IMO. I’ve seen way to many pics of unevenly worn factory weights.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
If it's true that kawasaki are doing a complete redesign of the clutch set up and we spend all this money to save the sheeve, I'm going to be pissed! They are the weak area of these machines. I think it's due to the weight. These are a tank!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts