Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
I had to make my own. Been running it since last October with absolutely no dust entry to my engine. Triple stage.
Krawler came up with the idea quite a while ago using the clamp on UNI. Looks to me someone copied his Idea. Nothing new.
Mine is different.

Attachments

Reactions: Magellan and Paul65

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
I did not know about it. I'll be looking into it. Not happy with stock filter. Not happy with RC2 filter. Don't want S&B particle separator. Might one day try the KWT. Will look into this UNI. Don't want to dabble in DIY.
That's how you learn doing DIY.

Reactions: .2590

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
Matter of fact I am in the process of servicing my car so let's take a look and see how well my triple element foam Frankenstein UNI Filter has done after that length of time some of it N/A and some of with a Supercharger pulling on it. There is some air filter oil that is in the bottom of the air filter housing that has dripped off of the foam filter. The air intake pipe after the air filter is aluminum not black plastic so that is the reason for the light looking color inside of the intake tube leading to the supercharger. ZERO dust entry! I am going to service the air filter at this time because the intake tract from the air filter to the supercharger is pulling 8 inches of water of the Donaldson filter monitor, so it is time for a service after ten months of service.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
How are you supposed to get your hand in there to tighten a clamp ?
You have to drill a 1/2 inch hole in the air filter housing in order to access the clamp. Then you use the plug provided to cover the hole.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
603 Posts
I ran one last year but had a little trouble with uni putting the wrong filter in the package, Twice!
a uni-8350st fits pretty good. I actually found some plugs that fit the 1/2” hole and are water tight. I think I did it for less than $50. We have been a step ahead on filter on the guys at All Access but they have the means to monetize it well.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
603 Posts
I really like the Baldwin better, no cleaning and no mess but they are throw away

·
Registered
71 Posts
This was a test on a Duramax. The Baldwin did better at filtration. You want a 99% filtration rate or better. I would like to see a test done on this new uni air filter for the KRX.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
AC Delco doesn't make a filter for the KRX. Theses brands do according to this cross-reference guide. View attachment 10263
Well I can tell you firsthand that my UNI has not let any dust past it as I have monitored it for a very long time. Good luck with your paper filters as I had nothing but grief with them letting dust into my engine. They have the UNI filter rated worse than a K&N and from years of off road racing and making a living as a mechanic most of it rebuilding engines of all types I know that that is total BS. Why do you think off road motorcycles come with foam air filters? Maybe they did not have any foam air filter oil applied to the UNI filter. Some of us on here have been monitoring this problem for a long time with the same results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I can tell you firsthand that my UNI has not let any dust past it as I have monitored it for a very long time. Good luck with your paper filters as I had nothing but grief with them letting dust into my engine. They have the UNI filter rated worse than a K&N and from years of off road racing and making a living as a mechanic most of it rebuilding engines of all types I know that that is total BS. Why do you think off road motorcycles come with foam air filters? Maybe they did not have any foam air filter oil applied to the UNI filter.
I posted that I would like to see a test done on this filter for the KRX. I have run UNI filters in the past on my atv. I'm choosing not to go with UNI until I can see some test results. An oil analysis from someone using this UNI filter would tell us how well it is filtering the air.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
I posted that I would like to see a test done on this filter for the KRX. I have run UNI filters in the past on my atv. I'm choosing not to go with UNI until I can see some test results. An oil analysis from someone using this UNI filter would tell us how well it is filtering the air.
A real simple way that I found to see indeed if dust is going by the air filter is remove the rubber intake elbow that is connected to the inlet of the air intake plenum and smear a light coat of grease on the inside of the rubber elbow and go for a dusty ride and remove and inspect if there is any dust accumulated on the inside of the greased elbow. Some dust if present in the intake air past the filter will stick to the grease on the curved intake elbow due to centrifugal force and show up there. Use a white rag to wipe the inside of the greased elbow. No reason to send an oil sample into Blackstone or another oil analysis company as one can see firsthand early on if any dust is getting by the air filter. That's an old off-road racer trick that works very well. I have used this trick many times with great results.
One thing I might add is I use Bel Ray Foam Filter Oil and lots of it on my filter. I just serviced my foam air filter after 10 months of service and it could have gone longer.
Zero dust passed through, and my car is supercharged pulling more CFM through the intake tract than when it was N/A. I would not trust another filter with the use of my supercharger. My filter is three staged.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to make my own. Been running it since last October with absolutely no dust entry to my engine. Triple stage.
Krawler came up with the idea quite a while ago using the clamp on UNI. Looks to me someone copied his Idea. Nothing new.
Mine is different.
Mine is different.
Reading you post about making your own UNI filter for your KRX. My question is which UNI filter did you use.
Thank You in advance
S.S. DRTY

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
556 Posts
The UNI filter I use is a UNI NU-8519ST which is for a Polaris XP1000 Turbo. I cut the clamp on end off and I remove all of the paper pleating from a stock paper filter and then I make a sealing ring from plastic because the open end of the cut foam filter butts up against the sealing ring. This way I utilize the stock radial seal without any clamps. The overall length of the filter is 9 1/2 inches and the filter is retained in the stock air box by the lid cover. All three elements together are more than an inch thick. The dust particles have to travel through a maze of open cell foam of all of the element layers which are saturated in super sticky viscous foam air filter oil. They get caught there and stay. To make the filter one has to have some commonsense along with a little skill in order to make the filter. Here are a few photos in order to get an idea what I am trying to describe to you. The open end of the cut foam filter slips down over the modified paper filter base. I seal the end of the filter with Bel Ray Waterproof Grease as the element is long enough, so it has some preload against the sealing washer therefore making a tight seal.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 219 Posts