Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with their machine overheating? Will be running great and, out of nowhere, temp shoots up to 248 and coolant starts overflowing. Took it to the dealer about a week ago and they said the fan needed replaced. Replaced said fan and hit the trail again this weekend.....bam overheating. Its back in the shop and no one can figure out the issue. Only 250 hours.

Thermostat is good
New fan
Water pump is good

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Alex1224. They can't seem to figure it out. I may drop the hint to them tomorrow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is at the dealer with a blown headgasket currently, no warning signs, temp read 176 on dash, engine bogged down and shut off wouldn’t restart

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had issues with their machine overheating? Will be running great and, out of nowhere, temp shoots up to 248 and coolant starts overflowing. Took it to the dealer about a week ago and they said the fan needed replaced. Replaced said fan and hit the trail again this weekend.....bam overheating. Its back in the shop and no one can figure out the issue. Only 250 hours.

Thermostat is good
New fan
Water pump is good
Trapped air in the cooling system?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine had issues on trail as well..

But being radiator is out front, and if you hit water, mud etc... On trails it will clog, I keep mine sprayed out constantly and it works wonders.. I also run engine ice as coolant now, no issues.

Not sure this will help, but thought I had major issues turned out clogging radiator and not cleaning it out enough. With bumpers in place hard to get to radiator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the fan actually running? If so it is most likely a head gasket leak.
[/QUOTE
I experienced overheating today. Dealer said possibly:
air bubble in cooling system(have to bleed off and remove air)
thermostat not functioning properly
Fan relay bad and fan shuts off at wrong temps
I have an appointment next week. Very disappointed with only 27 hours on machine Gauge showed 248 degrees. I shut off engine and could hear coolant boiling. Turned key and fan was running. Let it cool about 15 minutes and took off for car. Three miles later it goes to 185 degrees, then gradually warms up to 230 by the time I got back to trailer. How can it run that warm going 35 miles an hour on a blacktop road at 88 degrees out ? Coolant res was full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went tp the dealer , the first thing he checked was a bubble in the cooling system. No bubbles, then he observed the fan shutting off and on. Replaced fan and relay. Problem solved.
Good work Chris at Arizona Kawasaki.

No Brakes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello... I’ve recently purchased new krx. I’ve only had it out 4 times. 2 short and 2 longer trips, following recommended break in guidelines.Mostly flat, desert terrain. On both of my longer trips, I experienced coolant temps of 245 and 235. Machine has been at dealers twice with these overheat issues. They can’t seem to identify and correct issue. I’m concerned engine life could be affected, overheating before break in period is complete. No to mention the possibility of being stranded out in the desert. Don’t feel confident in machines reliability. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Who is your dealer ? Make sure your dealer is in contact with Kawasaki for a solution. On my machine, they first checked for air bubbles in the coolant system, then watched the fan at temperature. Your fan doesn't come on until 190 degrees. Let it idle and warm up and watch to see if your fan stops above 190 degrees. If so, its the fan relay or motor and needs to be replaced. My machine had 300 miles on it before any problem.
If those two problems are eliminated, they need to check thermostat and impeller on water pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Who is your dealer ? Make sure your dealer is in contact with Kawasaki for a solution. On my machine, they first checked for air bubbles in the coolant system, then watched the fan at temperature. Your fan doesn't come on until 190 degrees. Let it idle and warm up and watch to see if your fan stops above 190 degrees. If so, its the fan relay or motor and needs to be replaced. My machine had 300 miles on it before any problem.
If those two problems are eliminated, they need to check thermostat and impeller on water pump. Good luck.
Thank you. So far, thermostat has been replaced. Now checking fan operation. Problem seems to come and go. They haven’t had any luck getting machine to overheat at shop. I’m using Rocky Mountain ATV in St GEORGE. Frustrating issue as machine is brand new and I don’t feel I can trust it’s reliability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bet it is the fan, because my problem was intermittent. I checked the fan several times and always observed it running.
This would not be the first fan or fan relay that went bad.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
232 Posts
Thank you. So far, thermostat has been replaced. Now checking fan operation. Problem seems to come and go. They haven’t had any luck getting machine to overheat at shop. I’m using Rocky Mountain ATV in St GEORGE. Frustrating issue as machine is brand new and I don’t feel I can trust it’s reliability.
I’d leave it there until they figure it out. If it’s over a month then they will have to make a payment for you. Someone on here said they had problems with a check valve and air in the coolant system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bet it is the fan, because my problem was intermittent. I checked the fan several times and always observed it running.
This would not be the first fan or fan relay that went bad.
I will definitely have the dealer look into fan and relay. I’ve contacted Kawasaki. They said they would have a tech call dealership. Last overheat was 235 degrees. I pulled hood at idle and fan appeared to be not on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine had issues on trail as well..

But being radiator is out front, and if you hit water, mud etc... On trails it will clog, I keep mine sprayed out constantly and it works wonders.. I also run engine ice as coolant now, no issues.

Not sure this will help, but thought I had major issues turned out clogging radiator and not cleaning it out enough. With bumpers in place hard to get to radiator
I am going to change my coolant to engine ice too. Can you tell me the procedure for bleeding the system and where the bleed screw is located?

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
232 Posts
I am going to change my coolant to engine ice too. Can you tell me the procedure for bleeding the system and where the bleed screw is located?
If you have to run other than factory coolant to keep the machine operating normal, something is wrong. I live in the desert and have rode in 110 degree temps and had 0 cooling issues. As far as the proper procedure, there’s a tool I use that puts the entire system into a vacuum as well as sucks the system dry of coolant. From there I pour coolant back in using the natural pressure. 0 air in the system by the time it’s topped off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts