Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having a KRX for a while I thought I would share my experiences.

-Suspension and handling is excellent. I have this to compare to my '20 RZR Pro XP Ultimate and my '20 X3 XRS RR. I have yet to bottom out the suspension on the KRX. The body roll is not there like some have said. Always feels planted and predictable. Floats over big whoops, tracks straight at speed, crawls effortlessly over big rocks, all around handles better than my other two SXS. The other 2 cars bottom out a lot.

-Carnivore tires suck. They wear too fast, specially on the Pro XP, they puncture and pinch really easy, and the lateral traction is bad. I wish Kawasaki used a more heavy duty tire and came with at least 32" tires. 31" is a little too small and the load rating of the Carnivore is too little.

-The factory equipped beadlocks are incredible! I do not know why anyone would buy a different beadlock/wheel. The hardware is large, the bead ring bolts get to be torqued 3X more than the majority of aftermarket, the valve stem is very well protected which is something you can't say for most of the aftermarket, they are not heavy, perfect size for any aftermarket tires, and hubcentric mounting/centering(exclusive to KRX) that holds the wheel on stronger then tapered lug nuts. I have Racelines, KMC, and factory beadlocks on other cars. Kawasaki factory beadlocks are hands down better, IMO.

-The seating position and the seats are the most comfortable of the group. I can see everything going on around the car and can ride all day with out feeling wasted. The X3 feels like I got ran over by a train after a few hours and the Pro is middle ground. Of the 3, the seats in the KRX are the most waterproof. I have been up to my arse in water, hose it clean, etc and the seat is dry. The Pro seat is terrible for this, soaks up water like a sponge and very hard to dry, X3 is middle ground.

-Fit and finish of the KRX is practically automotive quality. The other 2 cars nothing lines up and everything feels cheap. For some reason, the KRX is also easier to clean.

-Between the 3, the KRX is the easiest to maintain. Changing fluids is quick and painless. Everything is very easy to access and it seems like 5 sockets, 1 multi screwdriver, and 2 hex keys would take the whole car apart. Belt changes are pretty much the same between the 3. KRX has a larger belt and clutches. You can tell it will last longer.

-Needs more power. Should be solved with a tune. Turbo kits are coming as I have recently spoke to K&T about this. They have a couple cars running their kit still in testing phases but they have told me they are beating the snot out of the car and it's been very reliable and the power is great.

-The complaint about the noise I do not hear. The other two cars are much louder with the X3 being terribly loud.

-The KRX is good to go out of the box sans the tires. Everything is double shear, everything is large and beefy. You don't have to buy anything for it to prevent it from eating itself alive. The KRX frame is much much much more beefy, full, gusseted, etc when compared to the other 2.

-Fixing the gas tank vent valve is a must. My tank would swell and blow when you removed the gas cap. The gas gauge was giving a bunch of strange readings compared to what I had or filled up with. Since replacing the valve, which took all of 10 minutes, there is no more tank pressure and the gas gauge has worked perfectly for the past few tanks of gas.

-Compared to the other 2 cars, the KRX has the best coverage for mud/dirt flinging into the cab. The Pro is terrible for this as there is no coverage and it will fling everything into the cab on your face. The X3 ain't too bad either.

-IMO, you should get a UHMW skid plate. The metal skid that comes on it is nice and will protect you but you will dent and smash it in like I have. I pounded out the dents best I could, ground off any rust, and painted before installing the UHMW skids.

-Low gear is very low and it is awesome. Very smooth. The 4X4 system works very well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you made adjustments to your X3 suspension? Lots of threads on the Maverick forum in regards to this. They are notorious for coming out of the factory pretty jacked up

The KRX is a nice ride but it still lacks the adrenaline rush I get every time I drive my X3

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you made adjustments to your X3 suspension? Lots of threads on the Maverick forum in regards to this. They are notorious for coming out of the factory pretty jacked up

The KRX is a nice ride but it still lacks the adrenaline rush I get every time I drive my X3
Yes, I am very familiar with the X3. I had Shock Therapy work the suspension and more. All that money spent and to me, the KRX is still as better handling machine with no money spent.

If the KRX had more power I believe nobody would question it. Hoping for a reliable turbo kit any day now.

I should make a thread with all the pros and cons of each machine I have owned with my background.

·
Registered
286 Posts
don't forget the smooth take-off from stop due to the hydraulic clutch before the belt.............and the stellar engine braking. I softened up the shocks to only click 1 from soft........that lets the suspension travel and do its work while soaking up the washboard and road rutts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't forget the smooth take-off from stop due to the hydraulic clutch before the belt.............and the stellar engine braking. I softened up the shocks to only click 1 from soft........that lets the suspension travel and do its work while soaking up the washboard and road rutts.
Oh yeah, that engine breaking is amazing.

·
Registered
299 Posts

-Suspension and handling is excellent. I have this to compare to my '20 RZR Pro XP Ultimate and my '20 X3 XRS RR. I have yet to bottom out the suspension on the KRX. The body roll is not there like some have said. Always feels planted and predictable. Floats over big whoops, tracks straight at speed, crawls effortlessly over big rocks, all around handles better than my other two SXS. The other 2 cars bottom out a lot.

-Carnivore tires suck. They wear too fast, specially on the Pro XP, they puncture and pinch really easy, and the lateral traction is bad. I wish Kawasaki used a more heavy duty tire and came with at least 32" tires. 31" is a little too small and the load rating of the Carnivore is too little.

-The factory equipped beadlocks are incredible! I do not know why anyone would buy a different beadlock/wheel. The hardware is large, the bead ring bolts get to be torqued 3X more than the majority of aftermarket, the valve stem is very well protected which is something you can't say for most of the aftermarket, they are not heavy, perfect size for any aftermarket tires, and hubcentric mounting/centering(exclusive to KRX) that holds the wheel on stronger then tapered lug nuts. I have Racelines, KMC, and factory beadlocks on other cars. Kawasaki factory beadlocks are hands down better, IMO.

-The seating position and the seats are the most comfortable of the group. I can see everything going on around the car and can ride all day with out feeling wasted. The X3 feels like I got ran over by a train after a few hours and the Pro is middle ground. Of the 3, the seats in the KRX are the most waterproof. I have been up to my arse in water, hose it clean, etc and the seat is dry. The Pro seat is terrible for this, soaks up water like a sponge and very hard to dry, X3 is middle ground.

-Fit and finish of the KRX is practically automotive quality. The other 2 cars nothing lines up and everything feels cheap. For some reason, the KRX is also easier to clean.

-Between the 3, the KRX is the easiest to maintain. Changing fluids is quick and painless. Everything is very easy to access and it seems like 5 sockets, 1 multi screwdriver, and 2 hex keys would take the whole car apart. Belt changes are pretty much the same between the 3. KRX has a larger belt and clutches. You can tell it will last longer.

-Needs more power. Should be solved with a tune. Turbo kits are coming as I have recently spoke to K&T about this. They have a couple cars running their kit still in testing phases but they have told me they are beating the snot out of the car and it's been very reliable and the power is great.

-The complaint about the noise I do not hear. The other two cars are much louder with the X3 being terribly loud.

-The KRX is good to go out of the box sans the tires. Everything is double shear, everything is large and beefy. You don't have to buy anything for it to prevent it from eating itself alive. The KRX frame is much much much more beefy, full, gusseted, etc when compared to the other 2.

-Fixing the gas tank vent valve is a must. My tank would swell and blow when you removed the gas cap. The gas gauge was giving a bunch of strange readings compared to what I had or filled up with. Since replacing the valve, which took all of 10 minutes, there is no more tank pressure and the gas gauge has worked perfectly for the past few tanks of gas.

-Compared to the other 2 cars, the KRX has the best coverage for mud/dirt flinging into the cab. The Pro is terrible for this as there is no coverage and it will fling everything into the cab on your face. The X3 ain't too bad either.

-IMO, you should get a UHMW skid plate. The metal skid that comes on it is nice and will protect you but you will dent and smash it in like I have. I pounded out the dents best I could, ground off any rust, and painted before installing the UHMW skids.

-Low gear is very low and it is awesome. Very smooth. The 4X4 system works very well.
Appreciate the review

·
Registered
2020 teryx krx
17 Posts

the other issue with the fuel tank is, if they turned up, maybe a short spout. we could get more fuel in there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The fuel port is a PITA to fill out of a standard red plastic jug..............Gotta use a longer hose attachment on a motorcycle type container

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the other issue with the fuel tank is, if they turned up, maybe a short spout. we could get more fuel in there.
I manage to fill mine all the way up but I have to hold the pump and point the gas in parallel to the ground not downward. I fill it to where the gas starts to peak up the spout. Similar to filling the front diff when you change the oil. Not too big of a deal. Most of my powersports stuff gets filled this way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The fuel port is a PITA to fill out of a standard red plastic jug..............Gotta use a longer hose attachment on a motorcycle type container
I found this little gem works great! pumps 5 gallons in about a minute, and has an auto shutoff. No more overfills.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How are the rockzillas?
Keep us informed on the wear of them.. seems maxxis tires wear fast. To fast
Time will tell but I drove from my house through the city(pavement) to get to the trails. I put 120 hard dirt miles this Saturday in a mix of off road terrain and the wear looks good. Nothing like the Carnivores that show a lot of wear immediately.
The 35s make everything really smooth. These Roxxzillas grab very well. Lateral traction is crazy good compared to Carnivores specially at high speeds.
Crawling is still very low. Engine breaking is still outstanding. I will be getting a tune as once you get to 50mph it takes a little longer to keep going faster than it did with the 31s.
Steering is unaffected. Still smooth and easy as stock.
MPGs have not changed.
Brakes still are amazing.

So far so good but I need more miles before I have a solid opinion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Time will tell but I drove from my house through the city(pavement) to get to the trails. I put 120 hard dirt miles this Saturday in a mix of off road terrain and the wear looks good. Nothing like the Carnivores that show a lot of wear immediately.
The 35s make everything really smooth. These Roxxzillas grab very well. Lateral traction is crazy good compared to Carnivores specially at high speeds.
Crawling is still very low. Engine breaking is still outstanding. I will be getting a tune as once you get to 50mph it takes a little longer to keep going faster than it did with the 31s.
MPGs have not changed.

Appreciate so you did see a little bit of performance changing 31 to 35 though correct.
And yes I'm sure it messed up your mile per hour gauge

·
Registered
299 Posts
MPGs have not changed.

Also what's your clearance now?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate so you did see a little bit of performance changing 31 to 35 though correct.
And yes I'm sure it messed up your mile per hour gauge
Also what's your clearance now?
Yes, there is a small noticeable change in performance. I am hoping a tune will bring on a better response than the stock setup. It's nothing crazy loss in acceleration, just a mild loss that is most noticeable at 50mph+.

I need to drive by one of those speed limit signs that tell you how fast you're going to see what's going on with the speedo if anything is.

Clearance is 16"~ with the Kawi skidplate on there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also to add to this thread-

I had to adjust my shifter linkage early on.
Followed the simple YouTube post on this site. Took about 10 minutes tops and it's been on point since.
I didn't have 22mm wrenches but I used 2 adjustable Crescent wrenches and it was no problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts