Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second trip to dunes and can't figure out why front end bucks like a bronco. I put on new ZBroz springs and have played with compression from all the way soft to mostly stiff with out much change. On the oregon dunes the trail whoops just beat the crap out of me and giving us whiplash. Not sure what to try while I'm still here. Maybe change pre-load? Or does it need valving done? Everyone claims how plush they are but not happy with setup so far either stock or new springs.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
should have gone with All Thingz UTV tender springs.............sorry buddy would love to help you out, but you went to the dark side on spring choice.

soften up your compression to zero up front. let the shocks do their job and absorb the hit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a thought, tire pressure. I run low (6-8psi) at the dunes primarily for traction. Have not experienced bucking and can run WOT over most whoops with ease.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps a call to ZBroz? Maybe you have the wrong springs or they are not adjusted right.
I might call em today - feels like something isn't adjusted right. Gonna double check and adjust cross overs today thinking maybe I'm hitting main spring too soon making it like a pogo stick.

Tire pressure is good - got to em around 8/9.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called them and took off some preload per suggestion. It did make it better - same amount of bounce on each whoop vs getting worse with each one. Still not satisfied with results but back from trip now so will have to wait to try anything else.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
One of the things that I learned when riding whoops is that the suspension needs more rebound damping. Unfortunately that is the one thing that is not adjustible on the stock suspension without revalving. I am waiting for some one to offer a suspension setup that includes both compression and rebound damping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the things that I learned when riding whoops is that the suspension needs more rebound damping. Unfortunately that is the one thing that is not adjustible on the stock suspension without revalving. I am waiting for some one to offer a suspension setup that includes both compression and rebound damping.
Fox does have an upgrade with high/low compression and rebound settings along with internal bypass: FOX Racing Kawasaki KRX 1000 Factory Race Series Internal Bypass (3" Rear) (Pair)
Tempting...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Fox does have an upgrade with high/low compression and rebound settings along with internal bypass: FOX Racing Kawasaki KRX 1000 Factory Race Series Internal Bypass (3" Rear) (Pair)
Tempting...
If I'm reading it correctly (looks like they got their compressed and extended lengths backwards), you only get 15.5" of travel out of those shocks. $2800 for a pair of rear shocks to give up 5.5" of suspension? No thank you. It makes sense for a racing application I suppose, but not for recreational use.
$2200 for the front pair with only 11" of travel...

Rear
Compressed Length
Extended Length
Shock Travel

Front
Compressed Length
Extended Length
Shock Travel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point - didn't notice the lack of travel! Agreed don't want to lose travel. Thinking I'll find someone local to do revalving to match my springs and setup. Granted I find someone in WA close by.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I'm reading it correctly (looks like they got their compressed and extended lengths backwards), you only get 15.5" of travel out of those shocks. $2800 for a pair of rear shocks to give up 5.5" of suspension? No thank you. It makes sense for a racing application I suppose, but not for recreational use.
$2200 for the front pair with only 11" of travel...

Rear
Compressed Length
Extended Length
Shock Travel

Front
Compressed Length
Extended Length
Shock Travel
That's shock travel not wheel travel. So you don't lose any travel - I called fox and they confirmed these are same travel as OEM but much better components and full adjustability. They also sell a kit for high/low compression 815-04-082-KIT for bout $100/shock that adds high and low compression settings (no rebound add on) you could add to existing shocks.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
That's shock travel not wheel travel. So you don't lose any travel.
I guess someone would have to explain that to me. I don't understand how the suspension travel could be double what the shock travel is. Perhaps I don't know what shock travel is...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess someone would have to explain that to me. I don't understand how the suspension travel could be double what the shock travel is. Perhaps I don't know what shock travel is...
rear trailing arms are merely a lever. so the closer to the fulcrum the shock is mounted the less travel it has to have in order for the end where the axle is mounted to travel the same distance. there are also other factors such as the angle to which the shocks are mounted in relation to the direction of travel for the suspension; for the rear shocks for example, they're canted forward towards the mounting point of the rear trailing arms making a super long travel suspension without having to have a shock with 2' of travel. there are trade offs though: which is where spring choice and shock valving are used to compensate and give the 'plush' ride.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
rear trailing arms are merely a lever. so the closer to the fulcrum the shock is mounted the less travel it has to have in order for the end where the axle is mounted to travel the same distance. there are also other factors such as the angle to which the shocks are mounted in relation to the direction of travel for the suspension; for the rear shocks for example, they're canted forward towards the mounting point of the rear trailing arms making a super long travel suspension without having to have a shock with 2' of travel. there are trade offs though: which is where spring choice and shock valving are used to compensate and give the 'plush' ride.
Ah, thank you. That makes more sense now. Never even thought about it that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After many adjustments this summer and still not satisfied with ride, I've got ordered and installed the fox upgraded shock and springs. So far just a ride around town but sooo much better feeling already without any adjustments. With springs prior they pretty much felt same as stock but not these. Rear shocks are much bigger. Full adjustability should be great now. Can't wait to ride some more soon and test em out! Stock shocks up for sale soon here.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts