Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to hunting out of the KRX this year - deer, elk, and bear are coming up soon and I'm gettin the fever! However, I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to put everything. Can anyone share any photos or advice for using the KRX as a hunting rig?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, that was almost my thought too. A small trailer or one of those wire mesh load carriers that just hangs in the receiver.

Gonna try this year without, but trying to figure out where to put stuff's a bugger. Obviously, a cooler in the back and my pack and rifle in the passenger seat, but could really use a spot for a bigger/another cooler. It'd be a couple trips out to get an elk back I think.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's gotten so bad that most people you talk to say they quit hunting because of the over aggressive rules enforcement. My brother came out of the "woods" (Bush for our northern neighbors) below his truck and walking up the Twp road he took off his hat because of sweating. They fined him......there is no education when they get out of he truck.

This is a charity prize to help with Elk in the state. They are like milk cows in a field here. I also believe you have to haul it out yourself if on state land.....no motorized vehicle. These animals die of old age........

Afield: Charges filed against Pa. trophy elk hunter and guides | Centre Daily Times

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think it would work out too well. It's loud and the small cargo area is way too high to try and load anything of signifiant size or weight. I shot 190 pound buck a couple of years ago when I had a Ranger XP and it nearly killed me to load it in the bed of that. It was much more suited for it than the KRX is and it still sucked. I could see it being used to transport stuff after the hunt or drag a deer out of a steep or thick holler, but that's about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I was young I cleaned the animal and then carried/drug the whole thing to our old truck. I did it that way because that is what my dad did. After quartering and backpacking an elk out for several miles I decided that there has got to be a better way. Now, (even if it is close to a road), I lay it on its side and skin the upper side. Then I start cutting all the meat off the bones and putting it in manageable size meat sacks. When one side is done I roll it over and repeat the other side. I don't even gut them anymore. The hide and head are taken if needed for mounting or local game laws. Most deer are one to two loads, and elk is usually 6, and a moose is......more! If I cant eat it I don't pack it, (except horns).. Note: Some states require evidence of sex attached to the meat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great discussion here and thanks for the photos - gives me a good idea of what can be done.

As for my situation up here in Idaho, I'm definitely of the debone-in-field and pack meat/cape only folk. I pack several miles in, so not terribly concerned with noise, but I am trying to effectively replace my truck with the KRX because my wife doesn't hunt with me and I tend to hunt solo. Trying to figure out how I'm going to do that (thanks for photos!).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice bull, by the way @
I quit hauling out whole animals a long time ago. I bone them out where I shoot them and only have to haul meat and horns.
When I am hunting I will not take the spare and use the rack for what I cannot fit in the box View attachment 4595 View attachment 4596
Nice bull! Looks like beautiful weather too! Usually cold/rain/snow up here in N Idaho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.