Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KRX 1000 - Tandem axle is mandatory but do I need brakes on trailer? Trailer - steel 7' x 14'. Pulling with 2015 Silverado (5.3 V8) which came with brake controller. Thank you. Jim in Michigan

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
KRX 1000 - Tandem axle is mandatory but do I need brakes on trailer? Trailer - steel 7' x 14'. Pulling with 2015 Silverado (5.3 V8) which came with brake controller. Thank you. Jim in Michigan
Why is tandem axel mandatory? Is that something in your state?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tandem axles trailers are not mandatory in Michigan but add a little piece of mind if something goes wrong with a tire or wheel. Brakes on tandem axle trailers are not required in Michigan and there are a two locally for sale (7 x 14 and 7 x 16) with no brakes. My concern is stopping the 3300 lbs. the behind my truck in a timely manner in the need arises. I think the that a single axle trailer (3500 lbs. axle) will be close to maximum load with the KRX with fuel and a few options. Thank you. Jim in MI

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs
36 Posts
Most states require any trailer with a gross rating over 3000 lbs to have one axle with brakes. Most trailer manufacturers won't build a tandem without at least one axle with brakes.
Never heard of this. There are thousands of 16' tandem axle trailers without brakes around here, including one I pull my KRX on behind my 3/4 ton truck. Trailer brakes are nice to have, especially with a 1/2 ton truck, but I don't think they are a requirement. What is important is how well you tie down your load on the trailer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would recommend trailer brakes. I just ordered a new 14' single axle trailer on Friday (single axle required due to the maneuvering by hand it takes to get it into it's parking space). As I tow with a mid sized truck (Ford Ranger), I opted to have a braked axle installed on the trailer. With a spare tire and the KRX loaded up, I suspect the trailer will weigh in at around 3300lbs. I don't want to rely on the truck to do 100% of the stopping in a panic situation.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
77 Posts
Michigan requires all trailers over 3,000 pounds must be equipped with brakes, while trailers weighing over 5,500 pounds must have brakes strong enough to control the trailer's movement, stop it and hold it.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
169 Posts
I don't know about other states but I know in Indiana brakes are required on any trailer with gross weight of 3000 pounds or more. Under 3000 it's not required.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tandem axles trailers are not mandatory in Michigan but add a little piece of mind if something goes wrong with a tire or wheel. Brakes on tandem axle trailers are not required in Michigan and there are a two locally for sale (7 x 14 and 7 x 16) with no brakes. My concern is stopping the 3300 lbs. the behind my truck in a timely manner in the need arises. I think the that a single axle trailer (3500 lbs. axle) will be close to maximum load with the KRX with fuel and a few options. Thank you. Jim in MI
if the trailers local to you are a good deal then it is an quite easy and inexpensive conversion to put brakes on a non brake trailer axle. E-trailer.com, Tractor Supply or my local parts store NAPA has the backing plates/drums to make it work. most non-brake trailer axles i've seen have provisions to mount a brake setup on them. if not, swapping out a whole trailer axle is not that difficult either. better to have the brakes than not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Texas's minimum requirement is 4500lbs which is ironic since we have roads where the speed limit is 85mph. I wouldn't even have a 3K trailer here without brakes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
another thing to check is the actual load rating of the axles. if it's like my buddies trailer, he has a converted boat trailer to tow his side by side, its got some unknown rating axles under it with no brakes.... some single axles are only rated at 1800-2000 pounds, and that's the rating of the axle only. if you figure the weight of the trailer, then the weight of a KRX on it, it would be overloaded pretty easy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting question. I have the same size trailer and a Ram 1500 with a hemi, no issues after 1-1/2 years towing my KRX. I have been really considering adding brakes to my trailer. I don’t really travel too far though, and very little time on an interstate. If I ever go somewhere a few hundred miles away, I probably would upgrade, for now I’m comfortable without trailer brakes. Also, I’m the only person that tows my KRX, if I had kids or wife that pulled it, I’d probably have an upgraded trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting question. I have the same size trailer and a Ram 1500 with a hemi, no issues after 1-1/2 years towing my KRX. I have been really considering adding brakes to my trailer. I don’t really travel too far though, and very little time on an interstate. If I ever go somewhere a few hundred miles away, I probably would upgrade, for now I’m comfortable without trailer brakes. Also, I’m the only person that tows my KRX, if I had kids or wife that pulled it, I’d probably have an upgraded trailer.
In my opinion you are looking at this backwards. I run the interstate quite often pulling 12000+ and do like having the trailer brakes but, when running two lanes it is definitely a necessity. You never know when the odd dog, deer or whatever might jump out in front of you or. The wonderful car that pulls out in front. When I take my KRX out to ride it’s the same issues and, I’m probably about 8500 to 9000 lbs lighter but, still need the stopping power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Two weeks ago I had a older man pull right out in front of me after he even stopped and looked. It was all I could do to keep from turning his Explorer into a Smart car. Really reinforces the need for trailer brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never heard of this. There are thousands of 16' tandem axle trailers without brakes around here, including one I pull my KRX on behind my 3/4 ton truck. Trailer brakes are nice to have, especially with a 1/2 ton truck, but I don't think they are a requirement. What is important is how well you tie down your load on the trailer.
Arkansas DOT
Arkansas Trailer Brake Laws
Every trailer or semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle; and the brakes should automatically apply in the event of an accidental break-away.
Every new trailer or semitrailer weighing at least 1,500 lbs. shall come equipped with brakes on all wheels.
[/Quote}

The 3 states I've lived in over the years all required them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my opinion you are looking at this backwards. I run the interstate quite often pulling 12000+ and do like having the trailer brakes but, when running two lanes it is definitely a necessity. You never know when the odd dog, deer or whatever might jump out in front of you or. The wonderful car that pulls out in front. When I take my KRX out to ride it’s the same issues and, I’m probably about 8500 to 9000 lbs lighter but, still need the stopping power.
That’s a good point. I guess it’s the travel speed that I’m thinking more about. I’m in rural Louisiana and don’t go very far when I’ve got my trailer loaded. So I’m probably 60 MPH for 15-30 minutes and I’m there. If I’m on an interstate, it’s no less than 2 hours to get where I’m going and about 75MPH. I want the help stopping when I’m moving faster but I see your point.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Any trailer over 3000 lbs capacity needs brakes by law at the federal level. Any trailer weighing over 40% the weight of the tow vehicle also needs brakes.

FMCSA said:
§393.42 Brakes required on all wheels.
(a) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels. This requirement also applies to certain motor vehicles being towed in a driveaway-towaway operation, as follows:

(1) Any motor vehicle towed by means of a tow-bar when another motor vehicle is full-mounted on the towed vehicle; and

(2) Any saddlemount configuration with a fullmount.

(b) Exception. (1) Trucks or truck tractors having three or more axles and manufactured before July 25, 1980, are not required to have brakes on the front wheels. However, these vehicles must meet the requirements of §393.52.

(2) Motor vehicles being towed in a driveaway-towaway operation (including the last truck of triple saddle-mount combinations (see §393.71(a)(3)) are not required to have operative brakes provided the combination of vehicles meets the requirements of §393.52.

(3) Any semitrailer or pole trailer (laden or unladen) with a gross weight of 1,361 kg (3,000 pounds) or less which is subject to this part is not required to be equipped with brakes if the axle weight of the towed vehicle does not exceed 40 percent of the sum of the axle weights of the towing vehicle.

(4) Any full trailer or four-wheel pole trailer (laden or unladen) with a gross weight of 1,361 kg (3,000 pounds) or less which is subject to this part is not required to be equipped with brakes if the sum of the axle weights of the towed vehicle does not exceed 40 percent of the sum of the axle weights of the towing vehicle.

(5) Brakes are not required on the steering axle of a three-axle dolly which is steered by a co-driver.

(6) Loaded housemoving dollies, specialized trailers and dollies used to transport industrial furnaces, reactors, and similar motor vehicles are not required to be equipped with brakes, provided the speed at which the combination of vehicles will be operated does not exceed 32 km/hour (20 mph) and brakes on the combination of vehicles are capable of stopping the combination within 12.2 meters (40 feet) from the speed at which the vehicle is being operated or 32 km/hour (20 mph), whichever is less.

eCFR graphic er15au05.020.gif

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
I don't know about other states but I know in Indiana brakes are required on any trailer with gross weight of 3000 pounds or more. Under 3000 it's not required.
Colorado is the same. I'm actually good with that law.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colorado is the same. I'm actually good with that law.
That’s an interesting question.I have a 2014 Silverado crew cab w a 6 1/2 foot bed towing a j/p trailer 14 x 7 ft single axle no brakes w a 3500 pound axle.great trailer, however it’s ,over built s the krx on it, it’s maxed out.The truck has had some sort of recall regarding the power brakes. Don’t trust the dealer.so it’s the same.I have been using this trailer for both my 2016 Honda pioneer,I have had a few panic stops.,and it definitely gets ur attention.However,I grew up driving non powered drum brake vehicles, towing a lot more.So it feels more than adequate.Bottom line if u drive, like a ,,,,,,decent driver probably no problem.If u push things ,u better have a dual axle trailer w brakes on at least one axle.I highly recommend dual axle,w brakes on one axle,because there’s a lot of crappy drivers out there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts