Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I purchased a KMS clutch kit for my KRX 1000 and had been running it for the last few months.

Anyway, I was driving it the other day running around 30mph on decel on a slight hill. I heard a loud pop followed by alot more metal noise and felt vibration in the machine. One of the clutch fingers broke and punched two holes in the clutch cover and deeply gouged the primary and secondary clutch surfaces.

View attachment 3641

I don’t know what caused this, but I’m very unhappy with their quality. This is going to cost me a bunch of money to get back up and running again.

I tried contacting them about this issue but can’t get a reply from them.
Check out River Rat Motorsports. They will machine it and set you up for more top end. We have tested their clutch and it works really good.

·
Registered
2020 white KRX 1000
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got ahold of KMS on Facebook. They said the have never seen a failure like that before and asked if my clutch was modified for more mph. I told them the only modification was their clutch kit. They are going to get ahold of somebody in their company and get back to me. I hope they hurry because my machine is down and out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not the first person I’ve heard of having problems with KMS (Kelly) tuning or parts.

Those clutches are hosed. Sorry man.

·
Registered
2020 white KRX 1000
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Kelly at KMS personally called me and I really trying to get this resolved in a timely manner. So far I am very pleased and satisfied with how he is handling this and trying to prevent it from ever happening again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a KMS clutch kit for my KRX 1000 and had been running it for the last few months.

Anyway, I was driving it the other day running around 30mph on decel on a slight hill. I heard a loud pop followed by alot more metal noise and felt vibration in the machine. One of the clutch fingers broke and punched two holes in the clutch cover and deeply gouged the primary and secondary clutch surfaces.

View attachment 3641

I don’t know what caused this, but I’m very unhappy with their quality. This is going to cost me a bunch of money to get back up and running again.

I tried contacting them about this issue but can’t get a reply from them.
I have had similar issues with RCOR and they said the roller snap rings weren’t installed properly. After taking the secondary apart I measured the ID of the clutch arm sleeve.
They were all extremely tight and there was scoring on the pins. I caught all kinds of hell from the friends of the company that made these weights as being an asshole who couldn’t put in a snap ring. I find all of these fly by night shops just that.

Here’s a few more pics View attachment 3642

View attachment 3643

View attachment 3644

I’m hoping it can be re surfaced but I don’t know. May just have to buy all new.
DEC1EF5E-9F14-4A93-A40A-587859E7C7C8.jpeg
A0FA9A11-A4FC-4DCF-9E06-57971F815C42.jpeg
This was the aftermath it also destroyed the clutch cover with 6 holes

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
I have had similar issues with RCOR and they said the roller snap rings weren’t installed properly. After taking the secondary apart I measured the ID of the clutch arm sleeve.
They were all extremely tight and there was scoring on the pins. I caught all kinds of hell from the friends of the company that made these weights as being an asshole who couldn’t put in a snap ring. I find all of these fly by night shops just that.

View attachment 3740 View attachment 3740 View attachment 3741 View attachment 3741 This was the aftermath it also destroyed the clutch cover with 6 holes
So did the weight fail? Or the pin?

·
Registered
236 Posts
So what is the right way to install the snap rings? I know there is a side that is “thicker”, and a side that is more flat. But you really have to look close. Or did you not use the right snap ring tool when installing? It’s easy to over stress the snap rings, by opening to far. I just come from the end and open it just enough to get on the pin. Don’t come at it from the top down.

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 3740 View attachment 3740 View attachment 3741 View attachment 3741 This was the aftermath it also destroyed the clutch cover with 6 holes
Our weight did not cause that in any way possible. Your circlip failed. Our weight did not fail in any way, shape or form. And you are correct, our bushings are tight! Bushings are supposed to be tight. Our bushing is made of a high wear plastic and can not scar the hard steel of the weight pin. Get a stock weight and measure the bushings, it's the exact same as ours.

Make sure to cover all the facts. You bought the machine with the weights already installed, and didn't install them yourself. Im not sure how you can blame our weights in anyway when you have a picture of a broken circlip ....and missing circlips in the others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, the weight didn't fail. The circlip failed (most likely because it was stretched too far during install). The poster bought this machine used from someone else and didn't install the weights himself. He even shows the picture of the circlip that failed allowing the pin to slide out.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,025 Posts
No, the weight didn't fail. The circlip failed (most likely because it was stretched too far during install). The poster bought this machine used from someone else and didn't install the weights himself. He even shows the picture of the circlip that failed allowing the pin to slide out.
I saw the busted clip, but didn’t know if that was a casualty, or the instigator to that mess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s all suspect at this point. After sifting through the mess. I found a few others things of concern were found. Not to do with the weights but the casting on the secondary. So it’s going to cost a lot of money to fix this no matter the cause. North of 2200.00

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s all suspect at this point. After sifting through the mess. I found a few others things of concern were found. Not to do with the weights but the casting on the secondary. So it’s going to cost a lot of money to fix this no matter the cause. North of 2200.00
So why did you say you had a similar experience with us? You never called us, never messaged us, never emailed us. We saw it on Facebook. But it's our fault? It's clear a circlip failed that you didn't install (so not your fault either). Not sure why you decided to blame the weights immediately. People complain when there is no aftermarket support for machines, but then throw the aftermarket companies under the bus, even when it isn't their fault. It's very frustrating is all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw the busted clip, but didn’t know if that was a casualty, or the instigator to that mess.
It started it all. You can see the pin came out and contacted the cage to the right in motion, which ripped the mounting points for the pin off the clutch. If a weight had failed, it would look like the one the OP posted and wouldn't have broken the pin mounting points.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts