Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NOT a stereo guru by ANY means so this might be a silly question but does anyone know if the sub woofer that comes on the special edition is powered by the head unit or does it have its own amp inside of the enclosure. Reason I am asking is now that I have the cab enclosed I can hardly hear the sub woofer and the stereo sounds like $#!T. I wouldn’t mind removing the kawi sub and replacing it with a compact sub INSIDE the enclosure somewhere that I can actually hear the bass if it is a simple-ish process.

Thanks

But, it’s a DRY COLD they said!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The sub is powered by an amp inside the enclosure. And yes, once you enclose it, it dampens the sound a lot. I changed my door speakers to Kicker Marine 6.5's and it changed everything as far as quality of sound goes. And the stock head unit on my Special Edition was plagued with problems, so I changed it to a JVC MR1 and added the backup cam, very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, I will look into the kicker 6.5” speakers and see if that helps. Knock on wood I have not had ANY issues with my head unit so far.
So now I will look into those powered marine sub’s and mount that inside the cab behind the seats. I don’t need to thump the whole forest, but I like some bass to my music for sure.

Thanks

But, it’s a DRY COLD they said!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
The sub is powered by an amp inside the enclosure. And yes, once you enclose it, it dampens the sound a lot. I changed my door speakers to Kicker Marine 6.5's and it changed everything as far as quality of sound goes. And the stock head unit on my Special Edition was plagued with problems, so I changed it to a JVC MR1 and added the backup cam, very nice upgrade.

What kind of problems, reckon?

·
Registered
278 Posts
What kind of problems, reckon?
Nevermind. I just connected the dots in my little brain and realized you typed "special edition" and I was thinking eS for some reason. Reason I asked is because I tried for a second with my brand new unit to connect my phone to the eS bluetooth to no avail. Either I'm doing something wrong or you need to have a stereo hooked up. Just thought it'd be nice to see who's calling on my screen as I keep the phone itself tucked away. Maybe I'll revisit the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nevermind. I just connected the dots in my little brain and realized you typed "special edition" and I was thinking eS for some reason. Reason I asked is because I tried for a second with my brand new unit to connect my phone to the eS bluetooth to no avail. Either I'm doing something wrong or you need to have a stereo hooked up. Just thought it'd be nice to see who's calling on my screen as I keep the phone itself tucked away. Maybe I'll revisit the issue.

Do you have the interactive display?

·
Registered
19 Posts
And on the stock head unit in the special edition, or the audio system package, the head unit would turn off on its on, freeze, and just not work sometimes. Maybe I just got a bad one!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you have the interactive display?
Yeah, I got myself confused as I have the eS screen display and was thinking you did too and were having problems. I thought I'd read about Hifonics issues when researching this machine, I thought I came across a Youtube showing how to fix it. Are they now fixed? My buddy with his eS is getting the Hifonics soon as he'll be using a rear windscreen. I have my Tusk rear glass coming today and figured I'd be wasting money on Hifonics due to the glass blocking sound and might have to go with internal cab sub when the time comes. I was really hoping for the simpler solution in the Hifonics system but now back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll let you know about the interactive display, I have a new es with it installed and I'm getting ready for my first trip in soon. As far as the kawa sound system, I'm just not the biggest fan, once you install the rear glass the sub kinda goes away, But with the IN cab sub, I'm sure it changes everything. I ride with my RR headset and just listen to music through that, and I've come to really like that because it kills all the other noise and you can answer calls as well as talk on the gmrs radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts