Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
246 Posts
I watched this last night. The sway bars and limit straps have pretty much no correlation. This was a good explanation.
I would definitely not pull the sway bars off of my machine because we don't do any extreme rock crawling. But these limit straps I think would help save the axles and shocks from over extending. I've gone up a canyon on 2 and 3 wheels. Looking more to save the axles from popping out.
Another thing to ponder is the fact the kawasaki designed these for extreme rock crawling stock. Why is there no limit straps standard equipment on these?
200 bucks is cheap insurance so probably a good idea to get a set. Great video to learn a little information.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
927 Posts
Removing the sway bar has zero effect on the amount of suspension travel you have. The suspension will droop just as far with the bar on as it does with the bar off.
The shocks have an internal spring to slow down and stop shock extension. It is a rare thing to see a UTV shock pull itself apart. When I was shopping for shocks for my General, I had a conversation with Elka. I was told that if you need limit straps to save your shocks, you should be looking at different shocks. A properly built UTV shock does not need limit straps. Elka does not sell limit straps. I think I've heard Shock Therapy recommend limit straps. They also sell limit straps... See the connection there?
I honestly feel there is no reason to run limit straps. There are literally thousands and thousands of UTV's running around without limit straps. If shocks were pulling apart you would be reading about it EVERYWHERE. Has anyone heard of a single failure on a KRX? Me neither.
If it makes you feel better to run them, by all means do so. I just don't see any reason to.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
849 Posts
Id like to know if shock therapy has recommended limit straps? That would carry some weight with me. I havent heard about any shocks coming apart on any side by side. Other than the pictures of the shock mounts ripped off from a high speed impact.
I’ve seen them recommend using them quite a few times. I can see the value in them if you’re jumping a lot, but for everyday riding on trails??

The original topic of this thread is the shock tower bracing. Those straps won’t stop any damage from occurring at the bolt locations, as both the shock and the strap are anchored in the same spot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Id like to know if shock therapy has recommended limit straps? That would carry some weight with me. I havent heard about any shocks coming apart on any side by side. Other than the pictures of the shock mounts ripped off from a high speed impact.
They mentioned it in a video or two

·
Registered
435 Posts
Removing the sway bar has zero effect on the amount of suspension travel you have. The suspension will droop just as far with the bar on as it does with the bar off.
The shocks have an internal spring to slow down and stop shock extension. It is a rare thing to see a UTV shock pull itself apart. When I was shopping for shocks for my General, I had a conversation with Elka. I was told that if you need limit straps to save your shocks, you should be looking at different shocks. A properly built UTV shock does not need limit straps. Elka does not sell limit straps. I think I've heard Shock Therapy recommend limit straps. They also sell limit straps... See the connection there?
I honestly feel there is no reason to run limit straps. There are literally thousands and thousands of UTV's running around without limit straps. If shocks were pulling apart you would be reading about it EVERYWHERE. Has anyone heard of a single failure on a KRX? Me neither.
If it makes you feel better to run them, by all means do so. I just don't see any reason to.
Uhhh, not exactly. The sway bar does limit independent wheel travel. So unless both wheels are off the ground you’re not getting full articulation. Hence why rock guys like to disconnect the sway bars.
Yes, there is a spring to slow extension. But springs (as we well know in the Krx world) can degrade and become weaker. You’re asking a lot of a small internal spring to stop all that mass. Yeah, Elka may tell you straps aren’t needed but with the same logic you use to rationalize ST selling limit straps.. elka is in the business of building and REbuilding shocks. Soooo, wouldn’t it also make sense that they could be saying that to drum up business too? But.. either way. It’s common in the racing world for a reason. And that’s to help take some of the stress off the Shock body. Now, if you’re rebuilding your shocks every 1000-2000 miles I’m sure you’ll probably never have any issues. If you’re riding easy and not pushing it with every mike you ride the Krx.. you’ll probably be fine. But when I got into this sport I never expected to do what I’m doing. Yet... here we are. They’re like skid plates.. they’re not needed until they are.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
272 Posts
The original topic of this thread is the shock tower bracing. Those straps won’t stop any damage from occurring at the bolt locations, as both the shock and the strap are anchored in the same spot.
I think if we’re going to continue the limit strap conversation it deserves it’s own thread.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
927 Posts
Uhhh, not exactly. The sway bar does limit independent wheel travel. So unless both wheels are off the ground you’re not getting full articulation.
LOL Rock crawling makes straps even less necessary. When crawling, you ease over things and there is no "shock" to the shock when it reaches the exact same travel you get when you jump the front end off the ground with the bar connected.
Elka does not sell straps, yet still warranties their product whether you use straps or not. There is no REbuilding a shock if it pulls apart. It's on them to replace it if it fails.
If they were needed on non-racing machines, the machines would come with them already installed. Again, how many have you heard about that this has been a problem?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
927 Posts
Maybe moderator can move this?
Actually, there is already a thread on this very topic. Perhaps any further discussions can take place there if desired. I myself really have nothing more to say about it. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nope. But okay. Here is someone else seeing some failures also. I'm not saying this is common just proof for the "$20 it was rolled" crowd...
Again... what makes you think that machine wasn’t rolled?
I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to do it.. I will on mine. But that’s because I fully expect a turnover in my future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Again... what makes you think that machine wasn’t rolled?
I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to do it.. I will on mine. But that’s because I fully expect a turnover in my future.
I'm not arguing that. I just don't think every failure is do to a roll over. I think alot might be caused by bolts being or coming loose and destroying the mounting point. At any rate cheap insurance on a $20K +/- machine wether you plan to have it on it's top or not. A must have I wouldn't say that, cheap insurance gets my vote.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm not arguing that. I just don't think every failure is do to a roll over. I think alot might be caused by bolts being or coming loose and destroying the mounting point. At any rate cheap insurance on a $20K +/- machine wether you plan to have it on it's top or not. A must have I wouldn't say that, cheap insurance gets my vote.
Ok.. well the point being, is the company selling these things are marketing it (and with pics of) machines that were rolled. I have yet to see ANY evidence that this has happened in any other way. Bolts coming lose? Have you ever had the shocks off? Have you taken anything off this machine? EVERTHING is torqued and many times over spec. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen but it’s far more likely that something else has happened. Maybe they flopped it 6 months back and it finally lets loose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a shipping notification for mine yesterday
You won't regret it! It's a nice piece and no worries after installing it. I added a brute performance heavy hitter brace kit and super atvs frame stiffener kit also. I should have zero worries and it cost a fraction of what ripping a arms off or tearing a shock mount would.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts