Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANK YOU KAWASAKI for not scamming your owners into running your "specific" brand fluid. Another perk of the Kawasaki KRX! Kawasaki oils are only recommended, but are not required.

2020-2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Fluid Capacities:
Engine oil capacity 3.3 US qts when oil filter is also swapped. This is about middle of the clear window.

Transmission capacity 1.4 US qts. This is about to the flat spot below the threads of the fill cap
Front differential capacity .85 US qts. This is about to the flat spot below the threads of the fill cap.
FLUID TYPES:
The Front differential and transmission both take 80w90 gear oil with GL5 additive.
The engine oil recommended is 10w40. However 5w40, or 15w40 can also be used.
Oil brand is a VERY touchy subject with people and mechanics. We exclusively use Valvoline products in our race program, however on the UTV engines we exclusively run Shell Rotella T6.

The boring stuff. Our engines do not have roller rockers and the valves are lifted via flat tappet. This type of system requires additional lubrication typical oils are NOT made with. Synthetic or non. ZDDP or high levels of Zinc and phosphorous are required and thats why we use Rotella T6. Amsoil also has a great utv/atv oil with high ZDDP if your interested.

So for us, we recommend rotella 5w40 for cold weather and 15w40 for summer weather conditions.
Oil filter cross reference:

wix 51358
Napa 1358
bosch 3323
fram, trash can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
THANK YOU KAWASAKI for not scamming your owners into running your "specific" brand fluid. Another perk of the Kawasaki KRX! Kawasaki oils are only recommended, but are not required.

Engine oil capacity 3.3 US qts when oil filter is also swapped. This is about middle of the clear window.

Transmission capacity 1.4 US qts. This is about to the flat spot below the threads of the fill cap
Front differential capacity .85 US qts. This is about to the flat spot below the threads of the fill cap.
FLUID TYPES:
The Front differential and transmission both take 80w90 gear oil with GL5 additive.
Oil brand is a VERY touchy subject with people and mechanics. We exclusively use Valvoline products in our race program, however on the UTV engines we exclusively run Shell Rotella T6.

The boring stuff. Our engines do not have roller rockers and the valves are lifted via flat tappet. This type of system requires additional lubrication typical oils are NOT made with. Synthetic or non. ZDDP or high levels of Zinc and phosphorous are required and thats why we use Rotella T6. Amsoil also has a great utv/atv oil with high ZDDP if your interested.

So for us, we recommend rotella 5w40 for cold weather and 15w40 for summer weather conditions.

wix 51358
Napa 1358
bosch 3323
fram, trash can.
So what do you use in the tranny and diff

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
So what do you use in the tranny and diff
Just get on RMATV and this will be delivered right to your door. It's $8 per quart, which is as cheap as any, and cheaper than most. It's also the correct oil so you don't have to worry about what you are putting in there. Others will work, but why?

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
I will confirm the wix 51358 is a direct replacement oil filter. It’s the same one used on the Wolverine X2. Appears to be a higher quality than the OEM.

if you want to pay more to get the built in nut the K&N KN-198 is also a replacement.

Polaris vehicles use these filters too.

Reactions: flatlander

·
Registered
334 Posts

FLUID TYPES:

wix 51358
Napa 1358
bosch 3323
fram, trash can.
great post. thanks for the info. I have been using Rotella T for years in my truck shop and Valvoline for the gas stuff.. I'm no chemist just always came highly recommended by many for years and stuck with it. When draining it on an oil change always seemed to be in better shape than other oils if that means anything. Never considered using on a motorcycle engine with a wet clutch but you got me to look into it and appears to be fantastic option in many motorcycles with flat tappets using a wet clutch. The zinc in the oil reduces engine wear but how much is enough seems to be questionable.. too much may cause issues with the wet clutch and cat converter. My dealer recommended Lucus 10-40 semi for wet clutches was the "go to" for most.. The Rotella T6 synthetic 5-40 has 1300ppm of zinc and the Lucas shows 1058ppm zinc. Lucas also makes a Zinc additive that one could add 4 oz to stock non ZDDP oil every change would bring level up to 1550 ppm.
I started using the Lucas on first change and have another on the shelf for the next but will definitely consider the Rotella T6.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
I will confirm the wix 51358 is a direct replacement oil filter. It’s the same one used on the Wolverine X2. Appears to be a higher quality than the OEM.

if you want to pay more to get the built in nut the K&N KN-198 is also a replacement.

Polaris vehicles use these filters too.
You say the Wix filter appears to be a higher quality filter. How so? Have you cut one open and compared them? Serious question, not being an a$$hole.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,257 Posts
You say the Wix filter appears to be a higher quality filter. How so? Have you cut one open and compared them? Serious question, not being an a$$hole.
I use the Wix filters on my truck. They are a much better filter, and there are videos online of them cut open.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
Th Wix filter weighs more, has a much better gasket. Overall outside construction is better. I have not cut one open.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
2021 Blue
90 Posts
ZDDP or high levels of Zinc and phosphorous are required and thats why we use Rotella T6
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread but I'm playing catch up. I'm 70 miles out from first service and starting to look into what's needed. To be clear, the quoted recommendation is to use blue jug shell? First time I've heard that, are there any issues with going to a synthetic at the first oil change? My only reference here is dry sump Yamaha motors where the recommendation was to run conventional oil for the first 2-3 changes and then switch.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
Rotella T6 is what I use in my 2019 X2 and my lawnmowers. I’ll use it in the KRX next. The KRX is now on the second fluid change using the OEM Kawasaki oil change kit from Rocky Mountain ATV. I bought two kits to spend enough to get free shipping.

If you’re on the fence you can’t go wrong with OEM specified fluids.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
132 Posts
Full Synthetic is the way to go on these engines we use to race Honda's and would pretty much run the on the rev limiter for up to 10 hours and sometimes 15 hours between oil changes heat and abuse full synthetic is the only way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
OEM Kawi kit oil is semi synthetic.
That depends if you choose the semi synthetic kit. The base $34 kit is not synthetic. The $41 dollar kit is semi synthetic and for $50 you can get the fully synthetic. These are all RMATV prices.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
477 Posts
I did the base kit fit first two. I’ll go to old faithful Rotella T6 next.

Reactions: flatlander

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
I have used Rotella T6 in my KFX400 for 11 years with over 5000 miles of hard desert riding. My 2014 Teryx T2 has had it since it's first oil change and has 2000 miles with no issues. It is also what is in the 2021 KRX, not to mention the tractor, truck, and zero turn mower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I run a NAPA Gold filter and Motual full syn oil in my old Polaris General, I bought it new and sold it with 8000 miles, still with in Polaris specs. I would like to do the same thing here. 250 miles on it now and ready for a change. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
118 Posts
So I run a NAPA Gold filter and Motual full syn oil in my old Polaris General, I bought it new and sold it with 8000 miles, still with in Polaris specs. I would like to do the same thing here. 250 miles on it now and ready for a change. Any thoughts.
Whatever you use, make sure it is rated for wet clutch use.

RZR's do not have a wet clutch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts