Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Jumped out of gear on the road

58K views 323 replies 53 participants last post by  Snoking 
#1 ·
On my first run out on the krx when rolling down a flat gravel road in high about 50mph backed off a bit for a turn and it kicked what seemed like in-between gears... rolled to a stop and shifter was in the high gate.. shut down and looked couldn't find anything wrong... pulled clutch cover found nothing wrong.. started and shifted in all gears were fine.. had buddy hold the shifter over out of high gate with finger and pulled on shifter arm at tranny seemed to be in detent and adjusted right.. so drove the rest of the day and could not duplicate..... puzzled..
This happen to anyone?

#2 ·
If we are talking about the same thing, It happens to mine every so often. If I am in high gear, and let off the gas with the intent of just slowing down or slowing to a stop, it looses the engine braking, feels like it goes into a free rolling state like it has slipped out of gear while sounding & feeling like the gears are grinding themselves up. If I step on the gas, everything engages and it goes back to normal. If I step on the brake and stop, the gears grind till the machine comes to a stop. I have reported it to my local dealer. They could not duplicate the situation but said they would make a note of it in my file in case it becomes a warranty issue. They thought I was experiencing axle slap.

It has never done this in low gear.

#3 ·
thanks .. sound like same issue.. some how it came out of high.. and there wasn't any reason for it.. just backed off gas slightly.. didn't bump or touch the shifter... can't believe a small piece of gravel jumped up with enough force to smack the cable linkage out of gear... so Ok Kawi do you have a weak snap ring in your transmission?

#30 ·
Just heard back from my Kawasaki dealer, Kawasaki replied to them and stated that they checked the original Vin number from when it was manufactured, it was manufactured just after the one-way bearing update, so mine has the new updated bearing in it however they also had a problem with mine was manufactured there was another problems that happened with one of the shafts in the transmission sliding around, my dealer said that Kawasaki told him to order a complete new transmission and to replace it when it comes in, very happy 😃 With Kawasaki, at this point they really stepping up.

#37 ·
The manufacturing date on mine might’ve been the latter part of June and not January like I originally thought, I may have missed heard what he said but regardless that’s the transfer point they said it was like a week separating mine and the 2020 and the one-way bearing problem.

#38 ·
Been lurking for a couple months since I signed up soaking up all the good info here but unfortunately I can add my 2021 is doing the jumping out of gear trick on long engine braking descents too. I've adjusted the linkage once and did a ride and I want to say it helped but still jumped out a couple times. I adjusted it again and plan on riding tomorrow to see if it's fixed. I hope so. I've found lose clamps and coolant leak from a hose shoved too far up on fitting so I hope mine was just not adjusted correctly from the start. I'll let you guys know.

#39 ·
Update for anyone else having this issue... I thought I was golden on my ride today after another adjustment to the shifter linkage. I Was about 15 miles into riding feeling pretty good that I found the sweet spot but nope ! Jumped out twice on down hill engine breaking running about 10mph. So it's off to the dealer asap. I'm not sure they would be able to duplicate driving around the lot but thanks to GoPro footage and the awesome grinding sound until you come to a stop I'll be able to show them. My build date according to the tag behind pass seat is 06/20 in case this helps anyone. I'll update again when a fix is decided on at dealer.

#40 ·
My build date was 11/19. I had the jumping out of gear. My dealer called Kawasaki and they authorized them to replace the sprague bearing. The multiplate clutch rides on this bearing. The whole unit was redesigned for 2021including the housing

I got the new unit. I haven't had a problem since.

#44 ·
Took my krx in for the knuckle replacement, while there they asked if I had any issues with the machine. I explained it freewheeled several times like a false neutral, that I adjusted the shift linkage And it hasn’t happened since. Last time it happened was a few months ago.
Dealer just emailed me. One way bearing is shot, Kawasaki is replacing it, the clutch and the clutch housing under warranty.

#45 ·
Update on mine is the dealer finally got authorized to replace my one way bearing and anything else they feel necessary. it took longer than I would have liked to get some resolution but they could not duplicate the issue and I told them as much since the dealer location is flat ground. My suggestion to anyone else is take videos of your issues. They sent it Kawasaki so they could hear the wonderful grinding sound. In the end there was no denying the defect. Again mine is a 2021 with build date of June 2020 if your in that range with the issue.shout out to the my service rep canin for staying on Kawasaki to get a fix. We all get frustrated with these types of issues and I would not want his job. Don't know if it's allowed to name them but my dealer is located in Kodak Tn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.