Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my KRX1000 last month, got through the break in. Love the way this car handles and sucks up the rugged terrain of Southern California's mountain and deserts. I was a former Polaris XP turbo owner for several years. Love the power of that machine. Spent thousands of dollars on suspension and parts. Still doesn't even compare to this Kawasaki. I did immediately notice the difference in power and torque. I knew that going into this when I bought the car. Even with me loading the car into a corner and standing on the throttle I was still unable to initiate the oversteer or drifting into corners.
Did all my homework on turbo versus supercharger. After reading all the stuff out there about s&s and kraft works And really the lack of any real product or definition to what that product was going to look like when and if they do eventually come to market. This made this decision much easier as I started looking at forced turbo. No one wants to be the lone ranger and a guinea pig so I had asked about other folks that were using the turbo and getting a first-hand experience of what their take was before and after. I am not a mechanic or a gear head. So I relied on smart people who do know the products and had good experience. The dealership I spoke with has a demonstration car that all the people get to borrow every weekend to take out for fun. I spoke with many of the guys that were pro Can-Am drivers. They were super impressed with the before and after with the turbo and more importantly we're able to blow by the Can-Am's because of the KRX suspension. Even though the turbo was not as strong as some of the other products like Polaris or Can-Am. The first turbo is slightly less power but makes up for it on the Kawasaki due to the rigidity and durability.
Took the car to Nash Motorsports in Phoenix Arizona for the installation. It took about one day. They have been doing these things for several months and do about one a week so they have gotten pretty damn good at this installation. Their shop Foreman John did all the work himself. He is a true technician and definitely knows his stuff. Very impressed with how well the turbo and everything goes on this car. It looks like it belongs there and more importantly. It looks like what Kawasaki would do if they were to put a turbo on this car. Very clean and solid. They have a bitching stainless steel exhaust that comes with the kit to help it breathe. My only complaint is one of the exchange tubes does run along the side of the clutch cover. So in order to open the clutch cover, I have to remove that exchange tube. It is not a big deal It only takes about 30 minutes.
My initial test drive with the car once they had finished the installation was on the street behind the warehouse where they did the work. My butt dyno immediately told me this was not the same car as it pinned me back in my seat. I really wanted low end torque. Rather than top end high speed. Although both are there, I mainly spend most of my time when driving between 10 and 45 miles an hour.
Told the car home to Southern California 7 hours. It was tempting not to stop along the way in the desert and back the car off and play a little bit on the way home! I resisted because I knew we were going to go out this weekend. We spent the day on Saturday and Johnson valley near Lucerne. This is where they do the king of the hammers race. We spent the day in cougar buttes. Lots of nice open desert lots of bumps and whoops. I immediately saw a difference as I could break the rear tires loose to oversteer into corners. With the extra power and torque I was definitely able to load the car in to the corners. No need to even stand on the throttle, there was enough power to spend the rear wheels into the corners with half throttle. I was still being a little bit delicate with the system because I realized it was breaking in and I didn't want to push it too much. Major difference on takeoff cornering. We got out on the dry lake bed and I was tempted to let it eat but held off. I was 3/4 of the way into the throttle and doing 70 miles an hour across the dry lake bed. Had more throttle to go. After we break it in I'll push it more. The long story short this was a great investment and I am super happy so far with the turbo. If you are considering this Bryce at Force Turbo is a super knowledgeable and will spend the time educating you if you are interested. The guys at Nash Motorsports understand customer service and took the extra time to ensure this thing was 100% correct. They knew I was coming all the way back to California so they went over the car three times to make sure everything was sanitary.

I love to drift into corners and get the rear wheels spinning enough to keep the slide.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Awesome. I bought his kit but doing quiet a few changes. One thing I noticed is the turbo cover is normally over the turbine, not the compressor. Might want to check into that. The blanket helps keep the exhaust heat out of the aluminum compressor and seat back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
An intercooler would be a great addition!

·
Registered
247 Posts
With 11.5:1 compression I am still a little leary of FI

Reactions: Krx King

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea I race turbo cars and I don't see the piston ring lands holding up or the head gaskets.
Yeah, 11:5 is pretty up there for doing FI. I know VW when they brought their 1.8T to market was running a 8:0 ratio, and they only raised it when they switched to direct injection since they could cool the charge with fuel.

Some guys on the Honda scene run 11:1, and some of the S2K I guess were 11:1 as well. They run turbos on them with no real issue, but 10-12psi is about the limit unless you start getting into 116 Octane race fuel or meth injection. I would say 8-10psi with a extremely good tune should be OK, but I would watch my AFRs as much as possible. They're also running a standalone EFI system designed for that kind of thing, but I know as do you that a ECU can't beat physics. I would feel more comfortable running a Megasquirt or similar instead of the stock Kawi computer. I would love to chat with dynojet or VFJ and see what the limits of the ECU and injectors are.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm hoping this turbo works great!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'll be interested to see how ur KRX does out in the desert against the turbo X3 and turbo S.

Reactions: Remote 8
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.