Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I placed an order for a Pro XP Ultimate in early April but uncle Polaris is being slow shipping me my new unit. I've been reading up on the KRX and decided that while I am waiting I should try to get some seat time before my delivery. I took a drive down to Twin Hollow campground in Gilbert WV and rented one of their KRXs to ride on Rock House. I gotta say, the KRX is fantastic and has me seriously questioning my Rzr order.

Suspension: It's true, the KRX is an off road Cadillac. It soaked up the small stuff with ease and handled the rougher stuff without ever bottoming out. A section of "green" trail 33 had a nasty hill climb full of big rocks that caused an older Can Am trail unit to get hung up in a precarious spot. When it was my turn the KRX climbed up like it was nothing. Super impressed!

Cab heat: Cab heat seemed extremely reasonable. At no point was I uncomfortable. For reference, it was running a poly roof and no windshield. Totally acceptable heat for a side-by-side.

Noise: It's not quiet but then I've yet to see a side-by-side that is. It's not quiet enough to hold a conversation but not too loud that it hurts your ears or gives you a headache. Not a deal breaker.

Power: I was expecting it to be slow based on what I've read but honestly if felt pretty powerful to me. I ran mostly in high and it got up to speed effortlessly. On pavement it hit 50 without issues and when climbing in low it brutalized hill climbs. I'm sure its slow in the dunes but here in the east it's great.

Maneuverability: She's a big girl and it shows in the turning radius. I had to make a few 3 point turns out on the tight trails but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the trails or the machine. She's wide and long; you got to give her room to move.

Storage: I was amazed by the amount of storage behind the seats. I had a cooler strapped in the back, a portable compressor behind my seat and a duffle bag of gear behind the passenger seat. With a tail gate, the amount of usable storage would be tremendous.

Over all I was very impressed with the KRX. Its powerful, it's got suspension for days, it's much cheaper than the Pro XP and it's actually available to buy in my area. I'm seriously considering ditching my Polaris order and picking up one of the Electronic shock models.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs
36 Posts
I placed an order for a Pro XP Ultimate in early April but uncle Polaris is being slow shipping me my new unit. I've been reading up on the KRX and decided that while I am waiting I should try to get some seat time before my delivery. I took a drive down to Twin Hollow campground in Gilbert WV and rented one of their KRXs to ride on Rock House. I gotta say, the KRX is fantastic and has me seriously questioning my Rzr order.

Suspension: It's true, the KRX is an off road Cadillac. It soaked up the small stuff with ease and handled the rougher stuff without ever bottoming out. A section of "green" trail 33 had a nasty hill climb full of big rocks that caused an older Can Am trail unit to get hung up in a precarious spot. When it was my turn the KRX climbed up like it was nothing. Super impressed!

Cab heat: Cab heat seemed extremely reasonable. At no point was I uncomfortable. For reference, it was running a poly roof and no windshield. Totally acceptable heat for a side-by-side.

Noise: It's not quiet but then I've yet to see a side-by-side that is. It's not quiet enough to hold a conversation but not too loud that it hurts your ears or gives you a headache. Not a deal breaker.

Power: I was expecting it to be slow based on what I've read but honestly if felt pretty powerful to me. I ran mostly in high and it got up to speed effortlessly. On pavement it hit 50 without issues and when climbing in low it brutalized hill climbs. I'm sure its slow in the dunes but here in the east it's great.

Maneuverability: She's a big girl and it shows in the turning radius. I had to make a few 3 point turns out on the tight trails but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the trails or the machine. She's wide and long; you got to give her room to move.

Storage: I was amazing by the amount of storage behind the seats. I had a cooler strapped in the back, a portable compressor behind my seat and a duffle bag of gear behind the passenger seat. With a tail gate, the amount of usable storage would be tremendous.

Over all I was very impressed with the KRX. Its powerful, it's got suspension for days, it's much cheaper than the Pro XP and it's actually available to buy in my area. I'm seriously considering ditching my Polaris order and picking up one of the Electronic shock models.

View attachment 4279

View attachment 4280
I'm glad I don't have to constantly work on my RZR now that I made the switch to Kawi. Get the regular, non-ES, KRX. Add Shock Therapy springs and RCOR clutch weights then be happy you have a much higher quality machine and go have fun!

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
What size and brand tires are on that rental?

Great write up!

Reactions: Delche

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing i forgot to mention: The gas gauge. When I picked up the unit it initially was down 2 bars of fuel. 40 min later it had 2 bars left and would switch between 2 bars, 1 bar and flashing 1 bar. Needless to say I hurried as fast as I could to get gas. At the pump it took 6.5 gal of fuel.

·
Registered
2020 KRX
243 Posts
Yea the fuel gauge is not great in these. The KRX is not for everyone. I sometimes miss a turbo but the reality is that we could not use the additional power 90% of the time for what we do. Good luck on whatever you decide! The Pro XP's look fun too.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Storage: I was amazing by the amount of storage behind the seats. I had a cooler strapped in the back, a portable compressor behind my seat and a duffle bag of gear behind the passenger seat. With a tail gate, the amount of usable storage would be tremendous.

View attachment 4279

View attachment 4280
That is a perfect review - I stay at that campground and ride those trails often. I also had a Canam X3 Base - and prefer the KRX. That being said, I am getting a supercharger in the next couple months. Not sure I can use it at Hatfield, but on the roads and a few wide open areas, but just for the added grin factor! I already have an ECM tune

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is a perfect review - I stay at that campground and ride those trails often. I also had a Canam X3 Base - and prefer the KRX. That being said, I am getting a supercharger in the next couple months. Not sure I can use it at Hatfield, but on the roads and a few wide open areas, but just for the added grin factor! I already have an ECM tune
Also the quality IMO is better and everything is more beefy

·
Registered
15 Posts
You had an advantage I didn’t. No place near me to rent and take a test ride. I ordered a Maverick Sport and was getting tired of the run around. I relied on reviews and, videos to make my decision. I looked at Polaris as well. Came close but, the dealer that was close and had one added way to much to the price. I found a KRX Trail Edition, canceled the order on the Maverick and , never looked back.3 weeks and two rides after buying the KRX the Max came in. 6 months from the order date. Good luck with your decision as for me I’m very happy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea the fuel gauge is not great in these. The KRX is not for everyone. I sometimes miss a turbo but the reality is that we could not use the additional power 90% of the time for what we do. Good luck on whatever you decide! The Pro XP's look fun too.
Super easy fix for that fuel gage is just bend the float rod at the base about 1/4" or less - I have done it - works great and takes 30 minutes. Search the forum!

·
Registered
160 Posts
One thing i forgot to mention: The gas gauge. When I picked up the unit it initially was down 2 bars of fuel. 40 min later it had 2 bars left and would switch between 2 bars, 1 bar and flashing 1 bar. Needless to say I hurried as fast as I could to get gas. At the pump it took 6.5 gal of fuel.
Just bend the float rod - problem solved. Lowering the float no more than 1/4". Works great now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a can am commander on order for forever it seemed. I canceled my order after I rode with a guy at royal blue that had a krx. That thing was a beast and pretty much the only machine that didn’t have something go wrong with it. I’ve went on a couple of rides with the krx and love it! Only time will tell how reliable the machine is but for now it’s awesome to drive.
I kept my old commander for the chores and the krx for the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000
29 Posts
I’ve a buddy in our group that bought the pro XP it’s a badass ride if you just wanna go fast. I can’t hold a candle to him on flat ground in my KRX. BUT!!!,,, then comes the real riding, he’s unable to control/harness all the power that it makes. Stuff we crawl up he has to bounce and a lot of stuff he won’t do for fear of snapping axles or burning up the belt. In my opinion to trail ride the PRO XP is entirely too much. I came from the mav sport to the KRX. Pull the front sway bar, take care of the springs when the time comes, switch to a badass belt for good measure and she’s unstoppable. ordering a set of 35” sticky’s this week and she’s set. Possibly a set of clutch weights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve a buddy in our group that bought the pro XP it’s a badass ride if you just wanna go fast. I can’t hold a candle to him on flat ground in my KRX. BUT!!!,,, then comes the real riding, he’s unable to control/harness all the power that it makes. Stuff we crawl up he has to bounce and a lot of stuff he won’t do for fear of snapping axles or burning up the belt. In my opinion to trail ride the PRO XP is entirely too much. I came from the mav sport to the KRX. Pull the front sway bar, take care of the springs when the time comes, switch to a badass belt for good measure and she’s unstoppable. ordering a set of 35” sticky’s this week and she’s set. Possibly a set of clutch weights.
Thanks for this information. im a trail rider so I think the KRX will have plenty of “usable“ power. Honestly, I was happy with the power my old 800 had. I just wanted a wider unit that will be reliable and comfortable. I initially went with the xp ultimate for a comfortable ride but the KRX was super comfortable for my slow trail riding with some road riding that will occasionally hit 55 mph.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for this information. im a trail rider so I think the KRX will have plenty of “usable“ power. Honestly, I was happy with the power my old 800 had. I just wanted a wider unit that will be reliable and comfortable. I initially went with the xp ultimate for a comfortable ride but the KRX was super comfortable for my slow trail riding with some road riding that will occasionally hit 55 mph.
Every time I get in mine I tell myself I really dont need a turbo. On the east coast trails I ride, I really seldom could use ANY more power. On sandy trails you need to run in 4WD or your in constant drift mode. But I still plan to add a supercharger just for the fun of it. The VFJ ECM tune makes a big difference for sure! I am happy with mine, you can fly at high speed over nearly anything! On the back roads I would definitely like more power for drifting and just the fun factor.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
The only time I ever wanted more power was on sand. We don't have any sand where we normally ride but I made a trip to Laurinburg, NC to ride at "Outback". They have a very long sandy stretch. The fastest I could go was 42 mph in four wheel drive non-diff lock, because the tires just kept spinning. Not that the Turbo would fix that, but like I said that's the only time I ever wanted more power. That one sandy stretch that amounts to 0.0001% of my riding. :)

Reactions: Delche

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buy the KRX and enjoy it! If you're questioning yourself now...what happens if you end up with buyers remorse after purchasing the Pro XP?

Watch the video a few threads up about the parts differences...see what Kawasaki did to make these things the beasts they are so commonly referred to. And I'm with you on power...I'm not out here looking to do 0-60 like my Mustang...that's why I have my fast cars. Trail riding for me here in East TN isn't about who's the fastest on the trail..or who has the most HP...it's about who finished the trail without being towed out.

But watch that video about the differences in size between common parts and you'll see why the KRX weighs so much.

Plus they look sexy!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts