Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious what tunes there are, and what you noticed different with the new flash, compared to stock. Seems like there are quite a few options now. Ive got a PM3 coming on Monday, if the tracking is correct. I put the RCOR clutch weights in already. With a tune do you need to upgrade the weights? Seems there are so many opinions on this, it’d be nice to see what’s really going on.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Second the thought on the (any) clutching review......especially in conjunction with a PV mod. It would be nice to reduce the " KRX turbo lag" feel since it isn't turboed. Like some other posters here, I'm not looking to out drag an X3 turbo, just some response improvement. Now that I can move out of the shop and not get the instant mud trucoat treatment, it's time to log some miles and hopefully commit to some drivability and suspension improvements.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second the thought on the (any) clutching review......especially in conjunction with a PV mod. It would be nice to reduce the " KRX turbo lag" feel since it isn't turboed. Like some other posters here, I'm not looking to out drag an X3 turbo, just some response improvement. Now that I can move out of the shop and not get the instant mud trucoat treatment, it's time to log some miles and hopefully commit to some drivability and suspension improvements.
Do you have a review on those weights somewhere on this site? If so, can you post up a link, if not, spill the beans on your thoughts of them.
I didn’t post a review on the RCOR weights. I’ve had them since November, and now have just over 200 miles on them, and about 875 miles total on the KRX. I got in on the second batch of weights. So I’ll write something up after I go inside the clutch area and clean it and check the weights. And get some pictures to compare my stock weights to the now used RCOR weights. That will be in a couple days. But the quick response is, the weights really helped the low end power, and got rid of the slipping feeling I was getting from the worn factory weights as it got up to 45-50 mph. That slipping feeling came at about 550 to 600 miles of use on my KRX. My clutch sheaves weren’t grooved like some guys had, but the weights were really worn. I can say the RCOR customer service was excellent, before buying, and 4 months after buying with some follow up questions I had. I kept the 1 gram weights in all 4 that was sent from RCOR. That was for an all stock machine at 0-3000 feet. For my riding in the southeast, I’m really looking for more low end response, and get up to 40-50 as fast as I can. What the deranged off road video shows, when Garrett installed the RCOR weights is pretty much exactly how I would describe the change. I don’t have a draggy to check speeds and 0 to 30,40,60 speeds. I‘m happy the RCOR weights are adjustable. Because when I need new tires, I’m jumping up to the 32” at least. And being able to add the included weights is a nice feature. And they screw in the weights. I didn’t like the idea of adding magnets to the clutch weights In some of the other options. I’m sure the magnets are fine, but I just like threads to hold things in the clutch area. Ive had snowmobiles and 4 wheelers before, and never messed with the clutch weights, so this was all new to me. There are a bunch of varying opinions on whose weights, and what they do for the KRX. But the machine shop that produces the RCOR weights, at least has a background in racing snowmobiles, and focuses on getting clutches set up for that for many years, is what I found out by doing some research.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. How was the install? Easy?
really easy. It’s basically everything you have to do to change the belt, and then take the cross that RCOR supplies in the kit, to spread open the clutch, and take a circlip off of each of the 4 clutch weight pins, and spin the primary and the weights fall out the bottom. Having the right tool to squeeze the circlips is a must for me anyway. Then reinstall everything, and enjoy. Watch the video RCOR has. It’ll take you 30 minutes. If you don’t lose a circlip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the weights coming in the next batch. I pulled mine last time I cleaned the clutch and they are looking a little rough. I just felt a shift feeling on a WOT run last trip at around 1000 miles. For install I won't screw with the little cross thing. If it's that far apart it's like 2 minutes more to pull the cover and primary spring and not have to pry open the clutch. I'll do a belt at the same time. Mines not that worn, but it's not worn even on both sides.

I have VFJ tunes. I don't you could tell any tunes apart with out a drag race or draggy times. They are all to close. They all should do away with most the lag. Pick a tuner that you trust. I have dealt with VFJ before and see his tunes recommended about 10 to 1.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have the weights coming in the next batch. I pulled mine last time I cleaned the clutch and they are looking a little rough. I just felt a shift feeling on a WOT run last trip at around 1000 miles. For install I won't screw with the little cross thing. If it's that far apart it's like 2 minutes more to pull the cover and primary and not have to pry open the clutch. I'll do a belt at the same time. Mines not that worn, but it's not worn even on both sides.

I have VFJ tunes. I don't you could tell any tunes apart with out a drag race or draggy times. They are all to close. They all should do away with most the lag. Pick a tuner that you trust. I have dealt with VFJ before and see his tunes recommended about 10 to 1.
[/

you need the little cross thing to take the pressure off the weights. And you need to pull the cage off the primary anyway, if that’s what you mean by cover? And the cage has to come off to get a new belt in. Unless you mean taking off the parts to get the primary spring out? I’m gonna install a gboost belt when the PM3 gets here. I think my stock belt may have a little wear. I’ll measure it with a caliper to make sure. That shift feeling was gone as soon as I put the new weights in. That was really bothering me. Im with ya on the tunes, I was leaning towards the vfj tune, after the M3 guys review. I like the idea of the radiator fan coming on at an earlier temp. The PM3 gives me the ability to have control over the flash if I want to change it back. Or when dynojet has more tune options out. The VFJ guy seems to either be loved or hated. But I heard you can send your ecm back to him and have it set back to factory. I like to not have to deal with assholes, and dynojet has been responsive to questions on the PM3. But reply back with what the clutch weights do for you please. I think I’m going to check my spark plugs, and possible install a new set that I have here, if needed. I’ll try the PM3 first before the plug change tho. Also check your sheaves and rollers when you do the new weights. A few guys have had those worn I heard before, when they noticed the shift feeling.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the weights coming in the next batch. I pulled mine last time I cleaned the clutch and they are looking a little rough. I just felt a shift feeling on a WOT run last trip at around 1000 miles. For install I won't screw with the little cross thing. If it's that far apart it's like 2 minutes more to pull the cover and primary and not have to pry open the clutch. I'll do a belt at the same time. Mines not that worn, but it's not worn even on both sides.

you need the little cross thing to take the pressure off the weights. And you need to pull the cage off the primary anyway, if that’s what you mean by cover? And the cage has to come off to get a new belt in. Unless you mean taking off the parts to get the primary spring out? I’m gonna install a gboost belt when the PM3 gets here. I think my stock belt may have a little wear. I’ll measure it with a caliper to make sure. That shift feeling was gone as soon as I put the new weights in. That was really bothering me. Im with ya on the tunes, I was leaning towards the vfj tune, after the M3 guys review. I like the idea of the radiator fan coming on at an earlier temp. The PM3 gives me the ability to have control over the flash if I want to change it back. Or when dynojet has more tune options out. The VFJ guy seems to either be loved or hated. But I heard you can send your ecm back to him and have it set back to factory. I like to not have to deal with assholes, and dynojet has been responsive to questions on the PM3. But reply back with what the clutch weights do for you please. I think I’m going to check my spark plugs, and possible install a new set that I have here, if needed. I’ll try the PM3 first before the plug change tho. Also check your sheaves and rollers when you do the new weights. A few guys have had those worn I heard before, when they noticed the shift feeling.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, I'm talking about removing the primary clutch cove and spring to install. It's eight allen bolts at that point and then there is no pressure. Prying the primary open with a screwdriver don't seem like the best idea to me.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
Yes, I'm talking about removing the primary clutch cove and spring to install. It's eight allen bolts at that point and then there is no pressure. Prying the primary open with a screwdriver don't seem like the best idea to me.
When you change em out, could you shoot some pics (or a video) of your install? I’d like to see how you’re going to do it.

I’ve seen other videos using the cross, but none taking it all down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update, I put a new belt on and checked all 4 weights and they look great. And I took a few measurements on the factory belt, and it was at 1.45”, which is the spec to replace. I found that in the service manual that was posted yesterday on here. So that is a huge help. I noticed I lost a few mph when wide open. And that is what happens when the belt is worn I guess. So I’m gonna break in the belt, and then see if I get back to the 68mph limit. Of course USPS tracking was wrong, and my dynojet tuner didn’t come today. But it will be here tomorrow. Also the clutch weight specs I got from the service manual say my factory weights were still in spec according to my micrometer measurements. But they were so wavy and worn in an uneven manner, and that shift feeling was just not worth keeping the weights on. The RCOR weights are smooth and even all along the weight profile. I took some comparison pics, but Im not sure on how to post. I mean the factory ones are worn, and the RCOR are like new. The golden color did wear off the RCOR weights, but he said that is normal, and all weights after the batch I got don’t have the treatment I believe.

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
591 Posts
Back to flash

I have the Dynojet power vision 3

great tune
Does what it says

beat thing is I don’t have to send my ecu off for just a 1 tune. I have the ability for future times and more. Well worth the wait. Seems KRX came out, and now the PV3 is the future for what’s needed.
mid say the tune is basically same as the VFjohn tune.
I notice quicker acceleration
Less lag. Seems more pep in step etc...
No back fire
No high rpm

again Dynojet 3 is totally upgradeable

you can have them write tunes etc. in future. All tunes will be compatible
Simple easy download tunes, and flash yourself. Or you can write your own.
you can hold as manny tunes as you want.I see future being able to create tune for different ride styles. And all can be flashed on the fly.
the PV3 can be mounted full time and display 4 screens to show what diagnostic’s you want.
it can also read alerts and you can reset.so much you can do.
See the other thread on it in the forums, get with Craig on discount pricing if interested thru pro UTV parts.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have vfj stage 2 tune in my machine. It definitely made the krx pull much harder, have no issues at all to report. I also feel like the machine idles a little more smooth now also, not sure what he could change in the ecu to make that happen though. I wish it came stock like this honestly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Back to flash

great tune
Does what it says

beat thing is I don’t have to send my ecu off for just a 1 tune. I have the ability for future times and more. Well worth the wait. Seems KRX came out, and now the PV3 is the future for what’s needed.
No back fire
No high rpm

you can hold as manny tunes as you want.I see future being able to create tune for different ride styles. And all can be flashed on the fly.
the PV3 can be mounted full time and display 4 screens to show what diagnostic’s you want.
See the other thread on it in the forums, get with Craig on discount pricing if interested thru pro UTV parts.
Hope this helps.
Hi Mike, I just packaged up my ECU to send it to VFJ and now I am reading your post and questioning if I want to do that. I had a tuner on my Mustang and it is nice to be able to adjust the tune when you want or need to. Just figured John's tune was going to be way better with his experience. He offered me a money back guarantee if I wasnt happy. Tough call unless you compare two tunes on the same machine to see. (shouldnt have read your post LOL) Now I will doubt either choice I make... Now I need to reconsider. If I go to larger tires for example I need to adjust the tune and need to send it back each time. Probably will be happy with either. Just more technofun to have the tuner and be able to tinker with it like i have on my motorcycles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Back to flash

great tune
Does what it says

No back fire
No high rpm

Hope this helps.
When you say no high RPM, are you referring to the RPM limit? Or does the tune just not have an affect on the RPM?

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
591 Posts
Hi Mike, I just packaged up my ECU to send it to VFJ and now I am reading your post and questioning if I want to do that. I had a tuner on my Mustang and it is nice to be able to adjust the tune when you want or need to. Just figured John's tune was going to be way better with his experience. He offered me a money back guarantee if I wasnt happy. Tough call unless you compare two tunes on the same machine to see. (shouldnt have read your post LOL) Now I will doubt either choice I make... Now I need to reconsider. If I go to larger tires for example I need to adjust the tune and need to send it back each time. Probably will be happy with either. Just more technofun to have the tuner and be able to tinker with it like i have on my motorcycles.
With ya man

I had Alba tune when released. Was the first before VFJ.
not trying to change your mind but yeah... the endless ability. Of PV3. Just works man.
the tune they haveis equal to the Alba in regards to performance.
without supercharger. Not sure how far anyone can go with the times in such to be to much different.
good news on the PV3 is kraftwerks and the supercharger that’s about to drop. PV3 is we’re that flash will be. Simple download and don’t need to send off and flash. So much more....

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
591 Posts
When you say no high RPM, are you referring to the RPM limit? Or does the tune just not have an affect on the RPM?
Issue I had with Alba flash, is my idling rpm was 2000/1800. After 200 miles, it mysteriously went that way. Sent back no fix... eventually flashed to stock.

hey here is another thing.
I run with the PV3 the performance flash right now. But can also flash to stock anytime as it has saved that to as a file.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
call vfj and ask him to send your ecm back. Get the PM3. You own it and can tune back to factory stock at will. Being tied to some guy In another state to control the ecm is not what I want. Plus you have to do what he says, or he will cut you off. And then your stuck with his tune. And whose to say you won’t change anything in the future?

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
591 Posts
call vfj and ask him to send your ecm back. Get the PM3. You own it and can tune back to factory stock at will. Being tied to some guy In another state to control the ecm is not what I want. Plus you have to do what he says, or he will cut you off. And then your stuck with his tune. And whose to say you won’t change anything in the future?
All thumbs up!
Totally agree. Besides that guy is very arrogant (VFJ)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts