Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
the factory one has so much more surface area.... it might be easier for the smaller replacement fuel sock to suck air at low fuel levels. gotta agree with BigParm, OEM is my choice.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
160 Posts
Has this really been an issue?

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
160 Posts
I was referring to the fuel filter starving engines and killing them. I’ve never let my tank get below half

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,288 Posts
I think the fuel gauge is the way it is by design. With the fuel tank having a hump in the middle due to the driveshaft, there is a greater risk of running the pump dry when it falls below the 3 gallon mark. For all intensive purposes, the fuel gauge is accurate. It shows 1 bar when there is 4 gallons left, and starts blinking when it has 3 gallons or less.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the fuel gauge is the way it is by design. With the fuel tank having a hump in the middle due to the driveshaft, there is a greater risk of running the pump dry when it falls below the 3 gallon mark. For all intensive purposes, the fuel gauge is accurate. It shows 1 bar when there is 4 gallons left, and starts blinking when it has 3 gallons or less.
i know the answer to this is probably because they wanted to save costs, but Toyota Rav-4 fuel tanks also have a hump in the middle......and they use a canister style fuel pump like the one on our Kawasaki's with a fuel tube that goes over to the other side of the tank so that it draws fuel from both sides no matter what.......

honestly, with as much "spare room" as there is under and behiind the seat/firewall they could have just made a different shaped tank that could even be larger...... get rid of that "hump" section where it goes back down and flatten it out... then kick out the tank to the rear of the vehicle..... there's all kinds of open space under there that they could have made a tank work... and since the tanks are polyethylene they can be made in practically any shape....

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,288 Posts
and they use a canister style fuel pump like the one on our Kawasaki's with a fuel tube that goes over to the other side of the tank so that it draws fuel from both sides no matter what.......
Interesting. FJ, is this a fact, or a suspicion? (I haven’t pulled my fuel pump to see the setup)

As far as fuel tank placement. I agree that there are other places they could have put it, but I suspect they were looking to keep the center of gravity at the low/central spot in the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interesting. FJ, is this a fact, or a suspicion? (I haven’t pulled my fuel pump to see the setup)

As far as fuel tank placement. I agree that there are other places they could have put it, but I suspect they were looking to keep the center of gravity at the low/central spot in the car.
Yes the 2020/2021 Rav-4 non-hybrid vehicle has dual fuel pickups in their tanks becuase that model's saddle tank is designed to clear a central driveshaft in the AWD models.... the hybrid model doesn't have the need for a central driveshaft so it's not a 'saddle' tank. the fuel pump setup i saw in the video is much like what all the Toyota's have gone to- a self contained canister that houses the pump/pickup/fuel level sending unit. what i also noticed is the fuel pumps that Toyota uses isn't any bigger than the one on the KRX in the video....from the biggest V8's to the little 4 cyl's they all use a fuel pump that looks nearly identical in size to the KRX one in the video, the fuel pump speed/flow is controlled by the ecu and is based on engine demand/load..... which is what alot of manufacturers do nowadays, the parts come from suppliers built to a spec, and it's alot cheaper for a supplier to use a 'one size fits all' approach....

as far as keeping the center of gravity......In my personal uninformed internet keyboard jockey opinion... my KRX could use a little more rearward weight to offset the radiator and winch up front....

·
Registered
20 Posts

check out vid, shows fuel pump. there is no pick up tube for drivers side of tank. maybe Kaw figured the gas would eventually get over to that side. i dont mind the guage flashing with 3 gallons or so still left. good indication to fill and not let pump cavitate causing lean condition. we all know how that ends

·
Registered
47 Posts
My krx shows 1-2 bars of fuel after 35miles don’t think it was designed that way! Pulled the pump the other day and found the fuel level sensor detents we’re not pooped into place like they should be so the float rod was way to high fixed and I hope this helps because it shows 1-2 bars for fuel left after about 35 miles. I know it’s good for about 110miles per tank but the one time you forget to reset the tip meter it starts making me a little nervous!

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,288 Posts
Yes the 2020/2021 Rav-4 non-hybrid vehicle has dual fuel pickups in their tanks becuase that model's saddle tank is designed to clear a central driveshaft in the AWD models.... the hybrid model doesn't have the need for a central driveshaft so it's not a 'saddle' tank. the fuel pump setup i saw in the video is much like what all the Toyota's have gone to- a self contained canister that houses the pump/pickup/fuel level sending unit. what i also noticed is the fuel pumps that Toyota uses isn't any bigger than the one on the KRX in the video....from the biggest V8's to the little 4 cyl's they all use a fuel pump that looks nearly identical in size to the KRX one in the video, the fuel pump speed/flow is controlled by the ecu and is based on engine demand/load..... which is what alot of manufacturers do nowadays, the parts come from suppliers built to a spec, and it's alot cheaper for a supplier to use a 'one size fits all' approach....

as far as keeping the center of gravity......In my personal uninformed internet keyboard jockey opinion... my KRX could use a little more rearward weight to offset the radiator and winch up front....
Sorry FJ, I should have specified if the Kawasaki had the pickup tube run over to the drivers side. Traneguy answered that it does not have it in our buggies.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,555 Posts
I would have to strongly disagree with you on this point. If you were to do some steep climbing, such as in Moab, you don't want any less weight up front. The balance of the KRX is pretty spot on for the rock crawling it was designed to do.
Just curious, what makes you feel it needs more weight in the rear?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would have to strongly disagree with you on this point. If you were to do some steep climbing, such as in Moab, you don't want any less weight up front. The balance of the KRX is pretty spot on for the rock crawling it was designed to do.
Just curious, what makes you feel it needs more weight in the rear?

agree to disagree.... the weight balance was spot on from the factory.... everything we add to them changes that, when i added my winch it put weight on the front, but then i added a spare tire which put more weight on the rear, neither of which seemed to affect any of my driving parameters- from rock crawling to high speed (from jumping to going over the whoops at speed) it is still pretty balanced- mind you i did those additions at separate times and the winch was the one that had the most negative affect when jumping, putting the spare on the back definately helped balance it out, i even added the tailgate toolbox and when it's loaded it helped out the rear balance for high speed. none of my additions seemed to negatively affect the rock crawling ability at all, if anything when i added rear weight it seemed to be able to descend large rocks better as the back end as the machine seemed less likely to want to roll over.....second the tank is at the balance point of the machine, so a slight change to get rid of the part of the tank that goes up and over the driveshaft tunnel and instead make the design of the tank push to the rear (and if i remember right there is also a little room to the front they could have taken advantage of also) shouldn't affect the balance any at all- in reality we're talking that gallon or so of fuel being held in that saddle part of the tank away from the fuel pump side- so at most that's 6 to 9 pounds if that (gasoline is only 6.3 pounds per gallon, and the Poly tank material doesn't weight hardly anything).

FWIW: the Speed UTV if i remember right is being built with pretty much as much weight as they can shift to the rear... radiator, engine, etc. and their goal is to dominate Hammers.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,462 Posts
I feel like now that I have weight in the rear it helps keep the back end down when going through the whoops in the dunes. I ride one without weight in the rear with the same acceleration and speed and the back wanted to kick up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts