Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first SxS and got the KRX 1000. I am super excited to go riding, but have a quick question about high vs low. My ATV manual stated the high/low cutoff was 15mph, that for riding speeds below 15mph low was recommended and above that high was recommended. I looked in the manual and couldn't find any such guidance for the KRX. I was just curious if I missed it or if there is a speed most people stay in low if they are staying under. We usually ride trails going 20mph or less most.

Thanks,

Bart

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I recently purchased my first SxS and got the KRX 1000. I am super excited to go riding, but have a quick question about high vs low. My ATV manual stated the high/low cutoff was 15mph, that for riding speeds below 15mph low was recommended and above that high was recommended. I looked in the manual and couldn't find any such guidance for the KRX. I was just curious if I missed it or if there is a speed most people stay in low if they are staying under. We usually ride trails going 20mph or less most.

Thanks,

Bart
The KRX is geared so low I usually ride in hi unless I am going over some obstacles or up a really steep hill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, Chaka has it. If you're going to need some torque right off the bat for something, and you don't necessarily need speed at the end of the obstacle, use low. Otherwise, 90% of the time I'm running in high.

·
Registered
219 Posts
While riding slow trails I like running in low AND low power mode most of the time for a couple reasons. Like you said I believe low gear is a bit easier on the belt at slow speeds, and I like low power mode because it is just more comfortable for me. I'm tall, I can have my throttle foot deeper into the peddle stroke which is easier for me, and it calms down the throttle blip on rough terrain. I also DON'T like running low power mode in high gear.

·
Registered
612 Posts
the wet clutch in our machines really helps with crawling in high or low gear. Per the trail rocks or obstacles, I run what-ever is smoothest gear and throttle setting provides. Don't be afraid from trying high and low gears or with/without the Low Power mode. It's almost like we have a 4 speed machine with all the choices. I often forget that Low Power button which really does help for slow speed crawling..........

·
Registered
389 Posts
It really depends how, where and what I’m doing. If it’s anything technical it’s in low. Most of your general riding you can cruise around in high just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
853 Posts
I don't use any set speed to determine whether I should be in high or low. You can typically "feel" if you need to be in low. I might run in low more often than I really need to just because I got used to doing that in my Polaris General. The KRX is a whole different animal, and won't eat belts the way a Polaris or Canam will. For really slow and/or technical riding, I will always be in low. I think I tried the low power switch once, and have never touched it again. I don't understand it's purpose, and have never wished that I had less power, especially when in tough riding.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't use any set speed to determine whether I should be in high or low. You can typically "feel" if you need to be in low. I might run in low more often than I really need to just because I got used to doing that in my Polaris General. The KRX is a whole different animal, and won't eat belts the way a Polaris or Canam will. For really slow and/or technical riding, I will always be in low. I think I tried the low power switch once, and have never touched it again. I don't understand it's purpose, and have never wished that I had less power, especially when in tough riding.
I agree about the switch... the VFJ S2 tune does away with that and creates a new map when in low power mode.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Generally I run low if I'm going to be under 10mph for a while or climbs.

I tried the low power a few times and then removed it. I want the throttle to work the same every time I push it.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
703 Posts
My understanding on the low power switch, it’s when you’re doing technical riding, to keep the throttle steady when you’re being bounced around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used it a couple times on a few sections of really rough trails as to help from spilling my ice cold beverage..... It just takes the jerkiness outta the pedal if u don't have a steady foot as big parm said..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
853 Posts
My understanding on the low power switch, it’s when you’re doing technical riding, to keep the throttle steady when you’re being bounced around.
I think that is the intended use, but I just use my right foot to keep the throttle steady. If something happens and I need to throttle out, I want to be able to.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
327 Posts
I found a replacement gas pedal for the KRX. Supposedly it helps you maintain better throttle control.
GAS PEDAL
I’m a big Throttlemax fan. I had one on my wolverine. I have long legs and big feet. I can basically sit normal and slide my foot slightly forward to accelerate. Much more comfortable. Mine will be arriving this week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts