Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first SxS and got the KRX 1000. I am super excited to go riding, but have a quick question about high vs low. My ATV manual stated the high/low cutoff was 15mph, that for riding speeds below 15mph low was recommended and above that high was recommended. I looked in the manual and couldn't find any such guidance for the KRX. I was just curious if I missed it or if there is a speed most people stay in low if they are staying under. We usually ride trails going 20mph or less most.

Thanks,

Bart

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I recently purchased my first SxS and got the KRX 1000. I am super excited to go riding, but have a quick question about high vs low. My ATV manual stated the high/low cutoff was 15mph, that for riding speeds below 15mph low was recommended and above that high was recommended. I looked in the manual and couldn't find any such guidance for the KRX. I was just curious if I missed it or if there is a speed most people stay in low if they are staying under. We usually ride trails going 20mph or less most.

Thanks,

Bart
The KRX is geared so low I usually ride in hi unless I am going over some obstacles or up a really steep hill

·
Registered
238 Posts
While riding slow trails I like running in low AND low power mode most of the time for a couple reasons. Like you said I believe low gear is a bit easier on the belt at slow speeds, and I like low power mode because it is just more comfortable for me. I'm tall, I can have my throttle foot deeper into the peddle stroke which is easier for me, and it calms down the throttle blip on rough terrain. I also DON'T like running low power mode in high gear.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
the wet clutch in our machines really helps with crawling in high or low gear. Per the trail rocks or obstacles, I run what-ever is smoothest gear and throttle setting provides. Don't be afraid from trying high and low gears or with/without the Low Power mode. It's almost like we have a 4 speed machine with all the choices. I often forget that Low Power button which really does help for slow speed crawling..........

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,078 Posts
I don't use any set speed to determine whether I should be in high or low. You can typically "feel" if you need to be in low. I might run in low more often than I really need to just because I got used to doing that in my Polaris General. The KRX is a whole different animal, and won't eat belts the way a Polaris or Canam will. For really slow and/or technical riding, I will always be in low. I think I tried the low power switch once, and have never touched it again. I don't understand it's purpose, and have never wished that I had less power, especially when in tough riding.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I don't use any set speed to determine whether I should be in high or low. You can typically "feel" if you need to be in low. I might run in low more often than I really need to just because I got used to doing that in my Polaris General. The KRX is a whole different animal, and won't eat belts the way a Polaris or Canam will. For really slow and/or technical riding, I will always be in low. I think I tried the low power switch once, and have never touched it again. I don't understand it's purpose, and have never wished that I had less power, especially when in tough riding.
I agree about the switch... the VFJ S2 tune does away with that and creates a new map when in low power mode.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
600 Posts
I've used it a couple times on a few sections of really rough trails as to help from spilling my ice cold beverage..... It just takes the jerkiness outta the pedal if u don't have a steady foot as big parm said..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,078 Posts
My understanding on the low power switch, it’s when you’re doing technical riding, to keep the throttle steady when you’re being bounced around.
I think that is the intended use, but I just use my right foot to keep the throttle steady. If something happens and I need to throttle out, I want to be able to.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
659 Posts
I found a replacement gas pedal for the KRX. Supposedly it helps you maintain better throttle control.
GAS PEDAL
I’m a big Throttlemax fan. I had one on my wolverine. I have long legs and big feet. I can basically sit normal and slide my foot slightly forward to accelerate. Much more comfortable. Mine will be arriving this week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.