Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
View attachment 2855

I did my break in service today and removed the spring. I’ll admit I was hesitant as I get a little nervous removing parts that were likely put there for good reason. First impressions after a 6 mile ride down through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park roads: I absolutely love it. So much quieter, the RPMs are just under 5500 at 40mph. I noticed less engine braking on the steep hill but not enough to concern me. That was just on roads. I’ll let you know after this weekend how it is on trails.

-Dan
after watching your video, I’m convinced that the spring is only for engine braking. It seemed like you had no engine braking going on in that video. Compared to how my krx goes.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
559 Posts
after watching your video, I’m convinced that the spring is only for engine braking. It seemed like you had no engine braking going on in that video. Compared to how my krx goes.
I’d say that hill was 15-18” percent grade going down and I could still feel it slowing the machine down fairly easily. For sure not as much as with the spring in but still pretty well

·
Registered
220 Posts
I’ve now passed several Peninsula and Cuyahoga Falls police, a statey, and a Sheriff. Not one appeared to give me a second look. I just take mostly short trips. I took it to state 8 to get an extra bottle of gear oil and a few of the guys came out and were surprised I had a plate on it.
I get nervous driving my pick up in the valley. If Peninsula isn't bothering you no one should.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’d say that hill was 15-18” percent grade going down and I could still feel it slowing the machine down fairly easily. For sure not as much as with the spring in but still pretty well
Engine braking remains stock until you go over 8-10 mph in low or high with the spring removed, because around 8-10 mph is where the spring starts keeping your rpms higher (shifting out). So, slower riding in technical, very steep places won't change the way your KRX performs, as long as you aren't going over 8-10 mph. Engine braking over those speeds is still VERY satisfactory for me when I'm ripping around on the high desert mountain trails (where I do most of my riding here in NW Arizona!) Removing the PC Spring has really made my 2021 a joy to drive when I'm cruising along on the trails (between 10-30 mph) with my wife, because we can now hold a conversation without having to "scream" to be heard, because of the lower rpms!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Good review Scotty. And most if not all, that have tried it, agree. We all know the spring is there for a reason, just may not be the one that works for some people.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Alright so I rode about 30 miles on all types of terrain Sunday with no primary spring. In low gear I didn’t notice any degradation of engine braking and I went down some pretty steep trails. In high gear on flat to just slightly inclined areas the decrease was negligible but on moderately steep descents the seat of my pants says it was about a 35% decrease in engine braking in high. Having said that, for me the pleasure of riding with it quieter and lowered rpm greatly outweighs the loss in high of some engine braking. I figure on anything difficult or overly steep I’ll likely be in low anyway so it’s almost irrelevant to me.

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
579 Posts
Alright so I rode about 30 miles on all types of terrain Sunday with no primary spring. In low gear I didn’t notice any degradation of engine braking and I went down some pretty steep trails. In high gear on flat to just slightly inclined areas the decrease was negligible but on moderately steep descents the seat of my pants says it was about a 35% decrease in engine braking in high. Having said that, for me the pleasure of riding with it quieter and lowered rpm greatly outweighs the loss in high of some engine braking. I figure on anything difficult or overly steep I’ll likely be in low anyway so it’s almost irrelevant to me.
Good news!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got back from a long drive. We drove over everything from deep whoops & sandy washes to VERY steep mountain trails and I totally agree with Atcdan13, without the PC spring, my KRX brakes exactly like it did with the PC spring in on the slower steep stuff. Engine braking on the trails in high is perfectly fine unless you're going down something moderately steep and that's where you will notice a slight engine braking decline, but still very acceptable to me. Cruising down the twisty undulating trails at 10-25 mph with no PC spring is where you can really tell the difference in cab noise. The 800-1200 rpm drop allows you to be able to talk to the person next to you without having to "yell"
When we want to listen to music we use 3M bluetooth worktunes headsets. We run both headsets to one smart phone via Tao Tronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter/receiver. Plug the short included 3.5mm cord into you phone, power up the transmitter/receiver & headsets. When connecting 2 headsets to your phone, turn OFF the bluetooth on your phone, (the transmitter/receiver acts as your bluetooth) A voice in your headset will tell you when your connected. And then just hit play! The transmitter/receiver is only needed when you connect 2 headsets to the same phone. When using one phone to one headset, turn the bluetooth on, on your phone....easy connect!
These 3M headsets are amazing. The only thing you will hear when using the headsets with no music, is a very rich low volume sounding engine. They eliminate all tranny whine and 90% of the wind noise when going over 50 mph. One minus is, you will NOT be able to talk to the person sitting next to you period! For some, that might be a good thing!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dug through the dash cam and found a few vids of a downhill on low gear on my property. They are unedited so you can hear engine but there is music and talking in the back ground. This is more of a hill then just engine braking can handle with the 33's. I have the spring in now and will run this trail this weekend.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got the new videos but it's hard to tell much. The first videos used the brakes the whole way down the second I just hit them right before the creek. The first 20-30 seconds of the second vids show the most. One of the other KRX's in our group is also on 33's and has no primary. If I can find a good spot let them both coast down a hill to see the difference.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I got the new videos but it's hard to tell much. The first videos used the brakes the whole way down the second I just hit them right before the creek. The first 20-30 seconds of the second vids show the most. One of the other KRX's in our group is also on 33's and has no primary. If I can find a good spot let them both coast down a hill to see the difference.
Man I love night riding. I wish I had somewhere near me to do that. What was that first song? I’m riding Renegade Ridge Saturday so I’ll get more time to assess no spring.

·
Premium Member
2000 white KRX
579 Posts
I'm going to pull my spring and see what it does. I have a Dragy so I can get some before and after runs. I do have the Dalton clutch kit so not sure what difference there might be since it has different springs.
Keep me posted. Interested.
My thing is we are about 2 months away from supercharger (getting!) and assuming clutch and things change, but all above interesting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One of the tuners claims the heavier spring that they include increases acceleration. Stage 3 spring for $150. Thats Rat River Motorsports.

·
Registered
559 Posts
After 200 miles in Virginia with a ton of steep terrain, I can’t see a scenario where I put my primary soring back in. Such a better and quieter ride without it. Also, the PV3 tune is seat of your pants fantastic

161 - 180 of 213 Posts