Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this youtube vid and wondering if anyone has tried taking out the primary clutch spring to raise or "trick" the clutch gearing? They do seem too low geared to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive spoke to a few people who have done the spring removal and said it makes the machine ride way better. I'm gonna pull my spring out this weekend, cant stand the machine sitting at 8k rpms just cruising around from trail to trail ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you do it please post your findings....and if you recommend doing it, please do a little how to if you don't mind. I'm like you, don't like the screaming at 15mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
so i took the spring out today..... love it so far. rpms are much much lower and the motor doesn't seem like its screaming like a street bike. Unfortunately I didn't keep track of the exact nuts and bolt sizes but it was only a few common size metric bolts and socket extensions to do the whole job. Remove the clutch cover, unbolt the primary cage (2 nuts and 2 bolts) and then undo the 8 allen head bolts holding the clutch cover onto the primary. The spring is just sitting right behind the cover, slide the spring out and put it all back together. Allen bolts back in, install the primary clutch cage, and put the entire clutch cover back on. Took an air gun and leaf blower to blow out the entire clutch housing while it was open. The short ride I took tonight seemed amazing, you can hold a convo doing 40 mph and low gear is much more usable then before. I used low gear maybe 2 times since I owned it, pretty much on hill climbs because it was screaming doing normal trail riding in low gear like I've done in most other machines. Don't feel any power loss really and engine braking seems pretty much the same. So far I definitely recommend this mod, plus its free so why not give it a shot! It feels like a totally new machine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Antg,
Thanks for the feedback and how-to. I sent an email to VFORCE John asking if he has a custom spring replacement that would do about the same as completely removing the factory piece. I'll give the report when I hear back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hoping Kawi will come out with a total clutch replacement kit as it's rumored.
Machine runs like a dream without the spring on the ride I did today.

also another plus to report so far, the heat in the cab seems drastically reduced. One of the best things I’ve done to the machine since I got it so far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You've talked me into it......sounds like a simple job, thanks for the detailed explanation...........will be easy with my factory service manual too.

Antg421, what type of terrain and speeds do you ride? fire/logging roads or aggressive rocks and woops?

I to, am tired of 5000 rpm doing 15 mph. I'm sure it keeps the noise down as well is the main benefit?

what, maybe an hour or two total?

I do mostly fast logging roads and some crawling, so I do use low gear for puttering around. I'm sending my ECU for a Vforce John flash, and I know he's been working with clutch weights too.

krx avatar.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
You've talked me into it......sounds like a simple job, thanks for the detailed explanation...........will be easy with my factory service manual too.

Antg421, what type of terrain and speeds do you ride? fire/logging roads or aggressive rocks and woops?

I to, am tired of 5000 rpm doing 15 mph. I'm sure it keeps the noise down as well is the main benefit?

what, maybe an hour or two total?

I do mostly fast logging roads and some crawling, so I do use low gear for puttering around. I'm sending my ECU for a Vforce John flash, and I know he's been working with clutch weights too.

View attachment 794
I do general trail riding and logging roads. Most of my riding is between 15-40 mph, the noise is drastically reduced. It took me maybe 30 mins and 2 beers to take the spring out....unbolt the clutch over, unbolt the primary cage and remove the 8 Allen bolts. Springs right behind the cover. Very easy mod.
You’re riding sounds similar to mine, I think you will definitely enjoy it and immediately notice the difference. The spring seems to only effect the machine from about 10-40 mph. After that the clutch seems wide open and it’s at its normalish rpm range. Most of my riding is at between those speeds so I definitely am enjoying the lower rpms and a quieter motor. If you don’t like it you can always put the spring back in but I think you will like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great info! TY. Only question I have.... since I dont have a manual yet... are there any torque specs on any of the bolts when I put them back in?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Based on eyeballing both videos it looks like there's about an average 565 RPM drop between 15 - 50 mph between the two tests. There's plenty of error here in the comparisons, but it's definitely more than just anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Service manuals are on ebay.............digital PDF files are $20, I opted for the full printed one in a 3 ring binder.....it's around 750 pages!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The true factory manual is bound, and averages $100-120.

I think someone has scanned in and photocopied it for what I bought in 3 ring binder.

$75. it's almost 2" thick printed double sided.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guessing Kawasaki wouldn't like it much.

VForce John got back to me and said to expect a 7/8 hp drop at the wheel by removing the spring. He also does UCU re-flash for $250. If any of you guys that have removed the spring and have the opportunity to race or climb against someone that is stock I'd like to hear the results. I have a friend with two (he and his wife) and might take mine out and race them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guessing Kawasaki wouldn't like it much.

VForce John got back to me and said to expect a 7/8 hp drop at the wheel by removing the spring. He also does UCU re-flash for $250. If any of you guys that have removed the spring and have the opportunity to race or climb against someone that is stock I'd like to hear the results. I have a friend with two (he and his wife) and might take mine out and race them.
I really don’t fee any power loss but then again it would be pretty hard to feel an 8 hp loss.Even if there was any power loss the effects are worth it imo.

I believe I tightened the bolts to 11 lbs or so. The Allen bolts I got as tight as I could with the space to work with. No lock tight

1 - 20 of 56 Posts