Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new bed mount radiator from Hess. It looks like a great idea since we got such a big bed and all but to me it doesn't look like it will get great airflow hidden behind all that plastic. I would probably raise the height up and out of the bed. Has anyone put one of these in and can speak to its cooling ability. I don't have a problem with debris but I will ride when its 110-115 outside and I would like to bring down my engine temps from 212-215 if I could.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,257 Posts
You don’t have to move it up high. The cfm’s of those twin fans will pull more air through the radiator then needed. You can also upgrade the OEM fan to a digital one that has more cfm’s to cool things down better.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
This is the new bed mount radiator from Hess. It looks like a great idea since we got such a big bed and all but to me it doesn't look like it will get great airflow hidden behind all that plastic. I would probably raise the height up and out of the bed. Has anyone put one of these in and can speak to its cooling ability. I don't have a problem with debris but I will ride when its 110-115 outside and I would like to bring down my engine temps from 212-215 if I could.
View attachment 4960
I like this but I have 2 concerns, price $1200? And in the event of an accident all of that hot coolant is going to spew into the cab causing some serious burns.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes but desert race trucks have had radiators in the back for years.

And yes expensive, but a $20k machine would be more useable and enjoyable

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I been in and seen a couple of rollovers and crashes and I have only leaked coolant a few times. Every time has been cause either the radiator or the puke can got craked. from hitting the ground or other vehicle. But I would defiantly replace the puke can with a screw-on top instead of the snap flop top. I am probably going to go with a purpose-built rear bumper and spare tire holder to work through any storage issues in the bed. Im not afraid to chop some plastic to weld in something nice. got some good ideas from the race teams out at the off-road expo today that got the wife's eyes all huge.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
Yes but desert race trucks have had radiators in the back for years.

And yes expensive, but a $20k machine would be more useable and enjoyable
Yes but they also have a lexan glass or covering. I guess you could install the rear windshield and be ok?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You don’t have to move it up high. The cfm’s of those twin fans will pull more air through the radiator then needed. You can also upgrade the OEM fan to a digital one that has more cfm’s to cool things down better.
Whoa! I'm REAL interested in this digital fan upgrade. Where do I find info on doing this??? Thank you!

·
Registered
149 Posts

I have found the kit $100 cheaper. Just do a search

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,257 Posts
Whoa! I'm REAL interested in this digital fan upgrade. Where do I find info on doing this??? Thank you!

You send in your OEM one, and they do the swap out to the new brushless one.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you want the Hess relocation just check out the Hess racing website and I have found the whole kit for $1050. if you just want to change out the fan and go DC controllable by PCM and manual on off then check out Steele racing. I just met a bunch of those guys this weekend and they are good people that started in fan blower for nascar hot spots like brakes and transmissions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took out console and raped them Radiator lines really good.......I used what you rap motorcycle pips with then got the foam that you rap your hot water heater lines with from Lowe's that cut my heat down a lot before i could not stan to stay in my krx.....
But after i rapid everything through the console them Radiator lines it made a huge difference....... it cold my temperature down a lot it still gets up to 189 but as soon it hits that it will drop back down to 179 to 181 and that is on the heat index hitting 112 a day on this temperature......on a cooler day it stays around 174 in neck of woods .......

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took out console and raped them Radiator lines really good.......I used what you rap motorcycle pips with then got the foam that you rap your hot water heater lines with from Lowe's that cut my heat down a lot before i could not stan to stay in my krx.....
But after i rapid everything through the console them Radiator lines it made a huge difference....... it cold my temperature down a lot it still gets up to 189 but as soon it hits that it will drop back down to 179 to 181 and that is on the heat index hitting 112 a day on this temperature......on a cooler day it stays around 174 in neck of woods .......
I was wondering if wrapping the lines would lower my temps that much. Might have to go that cheaper route first

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 4960
I have wondered the samething.

View attachment 4960
Did this help you a lot on cooling it down and keep it running as hot ....
I was wondering if wrapping the lines would lower my temps that much. Might have to go that cheaper route first
Yes.....it will but you got to rap them with good stuff not cheap crap .....but it will lower the heat in your krx..I got krx1000
Yes.... it will lower it big time ....but you got to rap them with that fiberglass you rap motorcycle muffers with then go to Lowe's and get you se of that frome that you rap hot water line with and rap them with on top of the of what you have done and it will top it off and lower your heat a lot .....then you can like i did go out underneath were your radiator is and rap them hoses also and put you some heat padding stuff over the big hole goes into your fairwall were your turning rode runs and you will shut down that heat inside your krx .... Before i did any of this it was so hot inside of krx i liked to pass out .......now i ride when the heat index was 112 / 103 and it was hot but my feet and my legs and the heat rolling in thru the console was not there know more and my krx run a LOT COOLER run around 189 as soon it hit 189 it dropped to 186to 183 ........it was running over 223 before i done anything to it was running way over 223 and up ....now it hits 189 but as soon as it hits 189 it will drop to 186 but when it is as hot index hitting 112 to 103 krx never got over 189 .........I am very happy with my krx now and i have helped a lot of guys out on the trails telling them what i did to mine and i even let some of them drive mine to show them the differences and there mines was blown....they couldn't believe how much cooler mine krx was to there's.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ride when its 110 out here in AZ sometimes and the cab heat ain't all that bad for me if I keep up the pace and don't go slow rolling through the trails. That is the only reason I haven't tried the pipe insulation fix yet but I am going to have to break out the tools and go to town since you are dropping engine temps. 212-218 gets me worried on engine temps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts