Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to manage dust, I installed the cab seal kit (ho hum at best), and added a bunch of expando-foam in key areas. It seems to help.

Also in an attempt to manage heat, I put insulated pipe tubing around the radiator pipes from the firewall to the emergency brake area, where the pipes go down underneath. I also cut a sun heat shield and attached it to the inside panels on both driver's and passenger's side near the feet area.

Last night I was driving around testing my radio install, and I noticed heat seems to be blowing out of the area around the emergency brake handle. I hadn't noticed this before, probably because a lot of our riding is fairly slow. But when driving around town last night, it was like a heat blaster coming out of that area.

Any ideas on where to look for the source? It seems to be speed-related, but I'm at a bit of a loss on where to look to block that off.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
In an attempt to manage dust, I installed the cab seal kit (ho hum at best), and added a bunch of expando-foam in key areas. It seems to help.

Also in an attempt to manage heat, I put insulated pipe tubing around the radiator pipes from the firewall to the emergency brake area, where the pipes go down underneath. I also cut a sun heat shield and attached it to the inside panels on both driver's and passenger's side near the feet area.

Last night I was driving around testing my radio install, and I noticed heat seems to be blowing out of the area around the emergency brake handle. I hadn't noticed this before, probably because a lot of our riding is fairly slow. But when driving around town last night, it was like a heat blaster coming out of that area.

Any ideas on where to look for the source? It seems to be speed-related, but I'm at a bit of a loss on where to look to block that off.
I sealed off all of my firewall area openings and I still have hot air blowing down the console tunnel and out of my emergency brake lever area. The only place that I did not seal off but I am going to is where the driveshaft goes through the firewall. On the passenger side center console kick panel there is a maintenance cover that can be removed and if you do remove it then you will be able to see what I am talking about. I am going to make a large split washer out of plastic in order to seal that opening up.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Now I don't have hot air blowing around my emergency brake area. I cut a 4 inch diameter of plastic from my removed stock skid plate. I cut a hole with a hole saw 1 3/8 diameter on the inside and I cut the washer so that it would orient one way and I used RTV Silicone to adhere and seal the washer to the plastic firewall.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I don't have hot air blowing around my emergency brake area. I cut a 4 inch diameter of plastic from my removed stock skid plate. I cut a hole with a hole saw 1 3/8 diameter on the inside and I cut the washer so that it would orient one way and I used RTV Silicone to adhere and seal the washer to the plastic firewall.
Nice work! I'm going to give that a try.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Nice work! I'm going to give that a try.
Lol, your post inspired me to do what I have been putting off for a while for no reason. I might add that I had to file a flat spot on the washer half that I installed first on the top of the opening to get the washer half to mount flat against the firewall. I installed the top half first and I let the RTV set up and then I installed the second bottom half and I put a bead of silicone on both of the parting edges.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm wondering if hot air is being sucked or push up from the back? Look at the rear area below the rear fire wall. I have the front well covered.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm wondering if hot air is being sucked or push up from the back? Look at the rear area below the rear fire wall. I have the front well covered.
My car has all of the open areas sealed off below the back firewall. I had the hot air from the radiator going through the hole I just sealed up. Now I have none like I stated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok. I sealed to gap around the DS. I looked at where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, and it already has a seal. I'm going to wrap the coolant lines this week, and hope to try it out next weekend.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Ok. I sealed to gap around the DS. I looked at where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, and it already has a seal. I'm going to wrap the coolant lines this week, and hope to try it out next weekend.
Great! I just got back from a 120 mile trip in the desert today and it was nice not to have my right elbow hot. It was really hot and dusty today!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wrapped the coolant lines today. With the DS gap sealed, I'm looking forward to seeing how it is. Hopefully going out Sun.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Wrapped the coolant lines today. With the DS gap sealed, I'm looking forward to seeing how it is. Hopefully going out Sun.
Awesome! I will be taking mine out as well this weekend and testing out my car and see if I have made more improvements in dust control in the cab. Plus I will be testing out my new R2C air filter and see how it compares to the stock air filter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more I work on this, the more disillusioned I become.

I wrapped the area around the driveshaft (inside the cab), and that didn't make one iota of difference--air still blasts out of the gearshift area and the emergency brake handle area.

The more I got looking at the front end where the driveshaft and water lines go through the firewall, the more discouraged I became. Kawasaki put a thin piece of rubber there that only partially covers the massive hole in the firewall. No wonder dust and air comes through.

So I spent some time trying to seal that area off (with Klymit of all things!). It actually helped--the air coming through the gearshift was noticeably less.

But I still get air coming out of the emergency brake area. Looking down through there, I can tell there are holes in the "cab tub" underneath and to the rear of that area. So I guess I'll be trying to do something with those next.

Also, I discovered that the rubber floor from the cab seal kit on the driver's side is poorly designed. I was able to tape down (!) the rubber and keep air from blasting into the cab on my legs.

I get that this is an outdoor machine, and that dust is going to come in, etc. That's fine. I just wish that Kawasaki had done a better job of sealing off the massive holes that are everywhere around this machine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I sealed my DS opening and went for a short 6 mile ride today in 100° temps today. Both my wife and I thought it was better, but it was a short ride.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The more I work on this, the more disillusioned I become.

I wrapped the area around the driveshaft (inside the cab), and that didn't make one iota of difference--air still blasts out of the gearshift area and the emergency brake handle area.

The more I got looking at the front end where the driveshaft and water lines go through the firewall, the more discouraged I became. Kawasaki put a thin piece of rubber there that only partially covers the massive hole in the firewall. No wonder dust and air comes through.

So I spent some time trying to seal that area off (with Klymit of all things!). It actually helped--the air coming through the gearshift was noticeably less.

But I still get air coming out of the emergency brake area. Looking down through there, I can tell there are holes in the "cab tub" underneath and to the rear of that area. So I guess I'll be trying to do something with those next.

Also, I discovered that the rubber floor from the cab seal kit on the driver's side is poorly designed. I was able to tape down (!) the rubber and keep air from blasting into the cab on my legs.

I get that this is an outdoor machine, and that dust is going to come in, etc. That's fine. I just wish that Kawasaki had done a better job of sealing off the massive holes that are everywhere around this machine.
I have spent a lot of time sealing up every place that I have found and it has helped a ton. I have no hot air coming out of my emergency brake lever area. There are many places up front and to the rear of the machine that need to be sealed off and it has taken me days to seal these places off. Take a strong light and check out all of the firewall and rear tub of your machine and you will be amazed of how many places are not sealed off. I have used closed cell foam rubber and almost a full roll of black Gorilla tape to seal off all of the areas that I have found. Pay close attention to the rack and pinion mount as it has many places that even if you seal off the front driveshaft hot air will travel right through the rack and pinion mount. I also taped all around the front rubber apron on the firewall and I even made a seal out of foam pipe insulation for the steering joint. I also sealed the radiator hoses going through the rubber on the firewall using sections of foam pipe insulation and forcing the ends of the sections against the firewall and I zip tied them to the radiator hoses. On the rear tub of the machine under the rear console there is a mount that comes through that area and there are some large areas there that need to be sealed up too along with all of the seams in the rear tub. I could go on and on!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts