Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has them, and what do you have? Are you happy with them, or would yo buy something different next time?
Pictures and/or links would be helpful.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
355 Posts
I’m also interested. I rode with a group this past weekend. It was my second time using walkie talkies. This is a large (13 machine) professional group moving at a fast pace on Hatfield McCoy trail systems with outlaws and road riding. 125 miles on day two. The radios are very valuable. The leaders call out oncoming traffic and turns. People in the middle repeat to relay to the back. The back guy repeats to confirm. Now we all hear it. As the middle and then the back passes the hazard or turn they say that. No matter where you are in line you receive the info so you can understand where the group is, how far apart. It was dusty so we might be 10-20 minutes apart. The relays help for the distance.

I bought this at Amazon:

Motorola Talkabout T800 Two-Way... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRSP2ZV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

After one ride using them without an ear piece I bought this:

Reyinl Walkie Talkie Earpiece Two... Amazon.com: Reyinl Walkie Talkie Earpiece Two Way Radio Noise Canceling Transparent Security Headset Compatible Motorola Talkabout T600 T800 MD200TPR MH230R MR350R MS350R MT350R MG160A MJ270R Two Way Radio(Pair): Electronics

It was much much better with the earpiece!

During the group ride I switched machines because they wanted to drive a KRX. Their machine had a real radio with a speaker. I liked that better. Others in the group have helmets with the radio setup.

So now I’m looking to upgrade to a real system.

(But if you are not sure and just want to try radios for $100, do the walkie talkies with the ear piece.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the radio that I just bought and will be getting an intercom from them too in the next few weeks. I have not installed it, but many of my ridding buddies run them, with headsets or helmets. I like the fact that you can get the bluetooth intercoms so that you can listen to your music too.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
355 Posts
I want & need a way to talk to other buggy drivers. Not sure Bluetooth has enough range for that.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want & need a way to talk to other buggy drivers. Not sure Bluetooth has enough range for that.
Not sure what kind of range you want/need, but this seems to have decent range.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought the Kenwood TM-281 for 240 and its a 65 watt radio and it will work in the Kawasaki mount that rugged sells
I run this rig in multiple vehicles (utvs and trucks). It is a tough little bulldog (I used to get them for $140 ish :( ) One of them has withstood more than a few cab pressure washes (not directly spayed mind you) tons of dust for multiple years and it's GTG. Downside is to use it legally you need an amateur license. We also run the Rugged GMR25 for legal comms to family and get up to 10 miles+. The Rugged is a TYT 8600 with locked GMRS channels and a comms pigtail for intercom plug and play...for me it works well and has a pretty much no questions 3 year warranty. All GMRS mobile radios are selling for a premium right now.

I may pick up one of these to check out I found at Bezos land cuz it's fairly inexpensive. Supposedly type 95 legal. $99

Definitely get a name brand antenna at the Antenna Farm.

·
Registered
898 Posts
These are what we use, 80-100 bucks on Amazon buy I found them on ebay from china for only $20! great little programable radio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These are what we use, 80-100 bucks on Amazon buy I found them on ebay from china for only $20! great little programable radio.

Yeah I keep one for a backup

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,145 Posts
Wow great info on here guys thank you. HAM radios and licenses anybody familiar with any of it?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow great info on here guys thank you. HAM radios and licenses anybody familiar with any of it?
I got my general class years ago, so things may have changed some. For higher (VHF, UHF) frequency useage there is a technician class license that the exam for has 35 questions IIRC. Rules, simple theory, simple how $hit works stuff you might know something about already. On line exam sites like Ham test online HamTestOnline - Study for your Ham Radio License Exam literally make learning a snap. You can memorize the entire question pool in a few days of intermittent study. After getting up to speed, a quick web search will find an exam date. That was the hardest part for me as it involved a day and a 200+ mile drive because I live in the stix.

Upside is legal use of more frequencies and power, legal access to some awesome repeater nets if you live in the right area. With a more advanced license, and on HF bands some real distance can be achieved. I've heard some guy in a jeep in Nevada with a low power mobile rig talking to a fellow in Kansas.....10 watts IIRC and clear as a bell.

Downside. Now you know all the rules, and regs.....and there's more than a few. You now know you should be talking with other licensees or someone supervised directly by a licensee. You will know that the FCC has some pretty sweeping powers to basically confiscate illegally used equipment and issue some pretty draconian fines. And yes, they can find you if they want to. You might be really surprised at some of the existing location and logging tech.

A GMRS is a much easier approach for group useage, in my opinion. Simple rules, $70 bucks for a 10 year "family" license to run up to 50 watts. An expanding repeater network, and a lot of 4X4 clubs heading that direction. Sooner or later, the 2 meter illegal, or grey area commercial useage community will die off anyway as they are on the enforcement radar now and vendors are backtracking on the "commercial" license group use thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We use these for backcountry skiing / sledding in the winter and to communicate between trucks when out of reception. Not the best in side by sides though.. you really need something integrated with noise canceling headphones

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got my general class years ago, so things may have changed some. For higher (VHF, UHF) frequency useage there is a technician class license that the exam for has 35 questions IIRC. Rules, simple theory, simple how $hit works stuff you might know something about already. On line exam sites like Ham test online HamTestOnline - Study for your Ham Radio License Exam literally make learning a snap. You can memorize the entire question pool in a few days of intermittent study. After getting up to speed, a quick web search will find an exam date. That was the hardest part for me as it involved a day and a 200+ mile drive because I live in the stix.

Upside is legal use of more frequencies and power, legal access to some awesome repeater nets if you live in the right area. With a more advanced license, and on HF bands some real distance can be achieved. I've heard some guy in a jeep in Nevada with a low power mobile rig talking to a fellow in Kansas.....10 watts IIRC and clear as a bell.

Downside. Now you know all the rules, and regs.....and there's more than a few. You now know you should be talking with other licensees or someone supervised directly by a licensee. You will know that the FCC has some pretty sweeping powers to basically confiscate illegally used equipment and issue some pretty draconian fines. And yes, they can find you if they want to. You might be really surprised at some of the existing location and logging tech.

A GMRS is a much easier approach for group useage, in my opinion. Simple rules, $70 bucks for a 10 year "family" license to run up to 50 watts. An expanding repeater network, and a lot of 4X4 clubs heading that direction. Sooner or later, the 2 meter illegal, or grey area commercial useage community will die off anyway as they are on the enforcement radar now and vendors are backtracking on the "commercial" license group use thing.
Dont need a license in mexico and i run a really small antenna in the states so it doesn't over broadcast

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to give the Fodsports Bluetooth system a shot. Supposedly it is at the house already. All the reviews I could find and read about it were positive, and for $160 you can't really go wrong. Guess I will see for myself. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I may pick up one of these to check out I found at Bezos land cuz it's fairly inexpensive. Supposedly type 95 legal. $99
So I ordered one and am so far pretty happy with the unit from a physical standpoint. For $99 it puts out a solid 19 watts on GMRS channels 15 -20 into a matched dummy load (actually 1_2 more than my Rugged GMR25s). Knobs and buttons seem OK. Nice cast aluminum chassis. I'll drop it into something next week and give it a test run.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
355 Posts
So that and an antenna will talk to the rest of my group? I’m using the Motorola Talkabout walkie talkies now. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts