Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Harness Up

22K views 104 replies 29 participants last post by  .2590 
#1 ·
Decided to give the Kawasaki Click 6 harness setup a try. The retractable shoulder straps that allow you to move around are a game changer for me, and my wife as well. The last harness I owned I had mounted in my '97 Corvette that I did some racing in. If I forgot to partially close my door when I cinched in, I couldn't move enough to reach it to finish closing it. Can't imagine being tied in like that when out on the trails, so I have never had a harness in an OHV. My wife rode with a friend out in Moab, and he had regular harnesses in his RZR. She told me in no uncertain terms that we would NOT have harnesses in our machine.
My dealer had a RZR in his showroom with a Click 6 harness setup in it, so I took her down there Friday afternoon to try it on. She said she thought it might be okay. Ordered a set Friday night from RMATV and had them at my door Monday afternoon.
Now, to get out and actually give them a try...

See less See more
#12 ·
Just had a thought and went out for another look/measurement. An issue a person would run into trying to fab their own bar for the click 6 if you had your seat moved further back is a lack of room to move the retractors back, particularly the outside ones. You would have to move it more towards the center of the seat in order to push it further back. Mine currently sits about 3/4" from the fire wall where it starts to curve forward around the roll bar. Kind of tough to explain, so I hope you follow what I'm trying to describe. You can kind of see it in the first and fifth pictures.

#14 ·
I hope you follow what I'm trying to describe.
I do 100%. That’s the first thing I noticed when looking at the pics. I would have to have a bar made down low and mount the retractable mechanism on top of it, instead of behind it.
How much room from your headrest to the bracket is there? I normally pull my seat up (factory far back setting) when I’m on it with technical stuff, and move it all the way back when cruising along. If there’s an 1” or so between your headrest and that bracket, I could still move my seat back a bit, but I know it would make the back more straight up, which I’m fine with.

Thanks for the pics!

#16 ·
My seat is pulled up a few notches, even though I have fairly long legs. (36" inseam) I like to be up on the wheel when I ride. If the seat back wasn't reclined quite as far I would move it back a little. That is one reason I've considered different seats, if I could find some that were a little more upright. I've thought about maybe some spacers under the rear seat mounts to tilt it forward a little.
This picture shows the passenger seat all the way back, at least I think it is. That is as far as it would go. It is touching the bar.

#31 ·
That's a bummer. One of the reasons I bought the KRX was the decent amount of room with the seat all the way back. I was about to pull the trigger on theses harnesses. Guess I may need to rethink it.

Reactions: Remote 8
#19 ·
Decided to give the Kawasaki Click 6 harness setup a try. The retractable shoulder straps that allow you to move around are a game changer for me, and my wife as well. The last harness I owned I had mounted in my '97 Corvette that I did some racing in. If I forgot to partially close my door when I cinched in, I couldn't move enough to reach it to finish closing it. Can't imagine being tied in like that when out on the trails, so I have never had a harness in an OHV. My wife rode with a friend out in Moab, and he had regular harnesses in his RZR. She told me in no uncertain terms that we would NOT have harnesses in our machine.
My dealer had a RZR in his showroom with a Click 6 harness setup in it, so I took her down there Friday afternoon to try it on. She said she thought it might be okay. Ordered a set Friday night from RMATV and had them at my door Monday afternoon.
Now, to get out and actually give them a try...

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855
You’ll both end up loving them..

#20 ·
I have no doubt that I will like them. It's just getting my wife used to something new that can be a challenge. The forward straps that make it a 6 point are the ones that she has the biggest problem with. I think a few rides will get them adjusted to her liking and then all should be good.

#30 ·
I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with them when using aftermarket seats. With the price of seats, I would get in touch with the seat manufacturer and check with them before ordering just to be sure.

#33 ·
If you use the dragonfire mounting you will not lose any room behind your seats. Very simple install in about 45min. I'm tall and can't risk losing leg room or storage area behind my seats. As far as retractors, I'm not sold they will not get gunked up.
The retractors are really no different than the ones used for the regular seatbelt. I've never had one of those get gunked up and cause an issue. These are mounted up high and won't be subjected to the mud and water getting in them like the low mounted seatbelt retractors. They've been used in RZR's for several years and I've yet to hear of a failure. I really don't think there is any reason to worry about them.

#40 ·
Question for all you folks with the click6 - can you get the retractors to lock? Like if you pull the seat belt all the way out on a car and then let it ratchet back? I like retractable for casual stuff, but when it's go time, I'd like to be well locked in.

Also, does anyone (with racing experience) have any thoughts about running harnesses on the stock ROPS? Don't wanna get ma mellon squished.

#41 ·
Question for all you folks with the click6 - can you get the retractors to lock? Like if you pull the seat belt all the way out on a car and then let it ratchet back? I like retractable for casual stuff, but when it's go time, I'd like to be well locked in.

Also, does anyone (with racing experience) have any thoughts about running harnesses on the stock ROPS? Don't wanna get ma mellon squished.
Good question. I have no idea. Guess I'll have to try it and see. I doubt it, but that would be pretty cool if it does.

#44 ·
Well, you're only missing it by a little bit.

I'm certain the retractors lock if you're in an accident - otherwise they'd get the pants sued off of them by all the dead peoples families. Minimally, the leg straps have no retractors and are just set in place.

BUT, legit 5+ point harnesses and racing buckets are way more than just protective. Getting in a racing bucket and yanking the straps down super tight is absolutely awesome - you don't move an inch when hitting bumps or experiencing lots of g's in any direction. The car is waaaaaay more controllable, approximately the same difference in control going from vinyl bench seat with no seat belts to single seat with a seat belt. It's a massive advantage that gets even larger when arm and leg straps are used. Further, when you have a well built and designed cage, it's vital to prevent you from smashing your head off the tubes.

But, there's a catch - and thus my questions - to safely run buckets and harnesses, your cage CANNOT deform into the passenger compartment. You're completely locked in, so if cage comes down on you, your brain is done for, squished watermelon style.

By way of retracting upper, IMMI may be looking out for the safety of those in stock cages - in the car community, retractable harnesses are common for DOT compliance too and are designed to essentially stop forward movement while allowing lateral movement towards the interior of the compartment - picture bending through the unbelted portion of the triangle that a standard 3-pt belt creates (if sitting in drivers seat, bending like you're changing the radio station) . Basically, if your top half can bend over to the side and the cage (or roof) comes down in a rollover, you just bend at the waist. If you're locked in, you're dead.

#48 ·
But, the question is, can you manually lock them by pulling them all the way out like you can with the seatbelt in your car? If you were going to go for a hard rip and wanted to lock yourself down, can this be done with the Click 6? I've never pulled mine all the way out to see if it ratchets back in. For some reason I doubt it will do it but I'll have to try it and see.

#53 · (Edited)
~30 mph I came over a sharp drop off in the dunes and stuffed it into a valley berm witches eye. Click 6 locked up instantly and we were thrown forward. Bruised neck and shoulders and sore for 12 hours. But with a stock belt, 3 point, I would of been in a world of hurt. I like the secure feeling of traditional 4 point, but not being locked in where you can't even reach for gloves or anything. Love my Click 6, field proven. People forget basic physics. Twice the strap support means 1/2 the load is going into your body where the harness lays and contact point is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.