Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of an aftermarket over the axle wheel bearing grease tool? The only one I have found requires removing the axle shafts and was hoping to find one similar to a Polaris style that slides over the axle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I purchased this one. Haven’t used it yet

·
Registered
235 Posts
I purchased this one. Haven’t used it yet

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a good tool, I just ordered one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Care to explain?

I mean I’ve herd of bearings failing due to lack of grease, but never from being over greased.
I believe over greasing causes heat to build up.......but only in extended high speed operation such as a car. With the relative slow speed and limited time frame of most sxs's & atv's probably not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,290 Posts
Shock Therapy says don't do it. They know a thing or two.
Too much grease will overheat the bearings and cause failure. Not sure why anyone would want to ignore that.
I’m not saying TO do it, I’ve just never herd of bearing failures due to too much grease.

In the past, when I lubed up bearings, the excess grease would just ooze out. Wipe it up, and on my way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Exactly. Maybe if you desert race full time like they do. Guys over on the Maverick forum grease the crap out of their wheel bearings. Those who dont burn em up quick.

Nobody is saying to "go stupid" with the grease but the wheel bearings are not like those on your car/truck and do consume grease fairly quickly requiring regular attention.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use mine on my rs1 and repack every 1000 miles and each wheel bearing will take 5 to 7 pumps from the grease gun until you hear the grease start to come out then stop. I still have my factory wheel bearings in my rs1 and I just turn over 6,000 miles. And I run my rs1 pretty hard So yes I will be doing it for my KRX as well. For the RS1 it takes about 15 min to grease 1 wheel bearing and its worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use mine on my rs1 and repack every 1000 miles and each wheel bearing will take 5 to 7 pumps from the grease gun until you hear the grease start to come out then stop. I still have my factory wheel bearings in my rs1 and I just turn over 6,000 miles. And I run my rs1 pretty hard So yes I will be doing it for my KRX as well. For the RS1 it takes about 15 min to grease 1 wheel bearing and its worth it.
you got it right, 5 pumps will be all you need. Do it to new bearings and at 1000 mi. intervals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts