Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to set up a GPS system without breaking the bank. I do have a apple I pad I can use but some places we ride have no cell reception at times. I wanted to have full GPS capability.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
What is the best way to set up a GPS system without breaking the bank. I do have a apple I pad I can use but some places we ride have no cell reception at times. I wanted to have full GPS capability.
I believe most samsung tablets have standalone gps that require no cell reception. I run lifetime trail maps on mine but there are certainly cheaper options. I think Bob T’s maps is one if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good thread on GPS.
Go here.
Good advice. 👆

Samsung tabs have excellent GPS tracking capabilities built into them. Even the cheap ones. Price wise hard to beat. I recorded this track trying out tracking on Gaia with a pretty old Samsung tab yesterday. It picked up every twist and turn. I was pulling around 12-13 satellite signals and accuracy was within a few feet at all times. I have similar results with OnX and Polaris waypoint
apps.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs
36 Posts
Yep, Samsung tablet with GPS in an Intelliskin case and mount with whatever GPS software works best for where you are riding. I just use the Avenza app with USFS maps for most of the places I ride.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
355 Posts
I’ve set up Android tablets for me and for friends on the cheap. You want cheap, the last two I did are hard to beat. You’ll have way more in the mount than the tablet. Get on eBay and buy a used Samsung 7” that has a good power point connection. That’s what wears out and you don’t want a loose power plug for a trail tablet. Budget 50-70 bucks.

Maprika app is free that’s my favorite.

For WV HMT including outlaws, Back Country Navigator and Bob T’s maps. $16 for the app.

So for under $100 plus your time you have a GPS tablet without a mount.

I spent more for myself. I use a Samsung 10” in a lockable RAM mount located at the place where I’d normally have a rear view mirror. (Of course the lock is only effective if I went further to secure the adjustment knob.)

71578FF2-EB5E-4C9D-956A-7DDDC00F68E3.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
355 Posts
Agreed, a 10" tablet needs the 1.5" ball mounts, known as the "C" size. And really anything you care about is better on the larger ball. The "B" ball is 1".

A word of warning for those just starting out. I always use the RAM website to get the part numbers, then shop online for price & delivery. I've encountered several instances where the "B" ball ends up having the "C" ball description, and vice versa. So double check the part numbers before buying.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
4B250713-4640-49B0-B42F-605FC92E963B.jpeg

I use a samsung tablet too. I just put my mount on today. 3M tape and two of the screws with nuts from AJ’s fenderwell hardware.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Samsung tab A and lifetime trail maps app.

iPad with Gaia or Topo plus.

if you’re a tech guy and want to mess with the mapping the later is great. I’m not.. so I use lifetime because it’s the “best” easiest system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts