Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for GPS offroad? I would prefer an app I can use on an iPad and use my phone as a hotspot if the app needs wifi. thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try this thread if you're looking for mapping ideas.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Really depends where you live.. but lifetime trail maps is pretty good and it’s easy. I won’t say it’s the best. But it’s probably the easiest. You’ll have to run an android tablet though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really depends where you live.. but lifetime trail maps is pretty good and it’s easy. I won’t say it’s the best. But it’s probably the easiest. You’ll have to run an android tablet though.
I would use Lifetime if I had android. but he asked for his iPad. ONX is one of the best for iPad.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would use Lifetime if I had android. but he asked for his iPad. ONX is one of the best for iPad.
Yeah, but for $150-200 you can get an inexpensive Samsung tab A and have a dedicated sxs tablet for maps and music. Then you can do the lifetime and they take care of it all for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, but for $150-200 you can get an inexpensive Samsung tab A and have a dedicated sxs tablet for maps and music. Then you can do the lifetime and they take care of it all for you.
I have never owned a android tab. What would be the best low cost android to use just for the gps. Make and model please.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone use backcountry navigator?
Yes. I use it in WV with Bob T’s maps. It’s not the easiest app to figure out but it does everything.

It will run on old hardware. I have set up three used Samsung tablets. The Tab A is faster than the Tab 4 which is faster than the Tab 3. But once the app is running they all perform the same. Tab 3 and Tab 4 used on eBay are $40 - $70. They are hard to beat for the money.

Reactions: Bsock87

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes. I use it in WV with Bob T’s maps. It’s not the easiest app to figure out but it does everything.

It will run on old hardware. I have set up three used Samsung tablets. The Tab A is faster than the Tab 4 which is faster than the Tab 3. But once the app is running they all perform the same. Tab 3 and Tab 4 used on eBay are $40 - $70. They are hard to beat for the money.
I've got a Tab A 10.1" I think, laying here at home it's a 2019. I've played with it some. Yeah it doesn't seem to complex just doesn't seem like to many use it and didn't know what the reasoning for that was. I ride mostly OH, WV, KY, TN, IN.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got a Tab A 10.1" I think, laying here at home it's a 2019. I've played with it some. Yeah it doesn't seem to complex just doesn't seem like to many use it and didn't know what the reasoning for that was. I ride mostly OH, WV, KY, TN, IN.
Use it with the lifetime maps and it’s great for this area!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Lowrance keeps me from getting lost, I purchased Funtreks 100 Arizona trails micro SD card.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn’t even know those guys had an app. I have their AZ trail book, but now I’ll have to add the app as well.
I cancelled the order from Funtreks and ordered from PCI Radios, got it in a couple of days, Funtreks didnt cancel the order and mailed me one anyway, it's for the Lowrance Elite 7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you guys using for GPS offroad? I would prefer an app I can use on an iPad and use my phone as a hotspot if the app needs wifi. thanks
I know tablets are cheap and all the rage. The fly in the ointment with tablets is they aren’t waterproof. None of them are shock proof. I always carry my Garmin Montana with me and my spot locater for the oh shit moments .

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know tablets are cheap and all the rage. The fly in the ointment with tablets is they aren’t waterproof. None of them are shock proof. I always carry my Garmin Montana with me and my spot locater for the oh shit moments .
Some of them are waterproof. And you can put a case on them and make them shockproof and waterproof

1 - 19 of 19 Posts