Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday went on an 80 mile ride in the heat. West coast has a heat wave. Temp is running 200 to 210 climbing the long steep grades at 20-25mph. Not a lot of good air flow going through the radiator. Fan can only do so much. If anyone is running the 20w50 oil let me know what brand y'all are running. Or maybe I'm just run 5w50 year around. The 10w40 just not made for this high heat desert.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
Yesterday went on an 80 mile ride in the heat. West coast has a heat wave. Temp is running 200 to 210 climbing the long steep grades at 20-25mph. Not a lot of good air flow going through the radiator. Fan can only do so much. If anyone is running the 20w50 oil let me know what brand y'all are running. Or maybe I'm just run 5w50 year around. The 10w40 just not made for this high heat desert.
I run full synthetic 10w40 temps never go over 185. Ive rode in 110 degree weather and same result. Might want to check your cooling system for air first.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
I have been running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 for years. Ran it in my KFX400 for 11 years and over 5000 miles, most of that in the high desert, and never used any measurable amount between oil changes. Also run it in my 2014 T2 with over 2000 miles with the same results. I also run it in the KRX since the first oil change. It is JASO MA certified, which is what is neede for wet clutches. As far as temperatures, 200-210 degrees is not much compared to most operating temperatures these days. I would suggest running at least mid-grade fuel because of the compression ratio and the usual low octane fuel that you get at higher altitudes.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 for years. Ran it in my KFX400 for 11 years and over 5000 miles, most of that in the high desert, and never used any measurable amount between oil changes. Also run it in my 2014 T2 with over 2000 miles with the same results. I also run it in the KRX since the first oil change. It is JASO MA certified, which is what is neede for wet clutches. As far as temperatures, 200-210 degrees is not much compared to most operating temperatures these days. I would suggest running at least mid-grade fuel because of the compression ratio and the usual low octane fuel that you get at higher altitudes.
I've always ran premium fuel since I bought it. Have just over 800 miles on the machine now. I was pushing it pretty hard. Does not over heat so to speak but looking to keep the temp 205 or lower.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been an AMSOIL Dealer/Customer for 30 years and run it in everything I own. I run their Formula 4-Stroke Powersports 0W-40 in my KRX and I don't worry about the heat because this oil can handle it. If anybody would like to try some, PM me and I'll get you some with a discount.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used the Lucas atv/utv 10-40 semi synthetic oil since the first oil change . No troubles so far.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been an AMSOIL Dealer/Customer for 30 years and run it in everything I own. I run their Formula 4-Stroke Powersports 0W-40 in my KRX and I don't worry about the heat because this oil can handle it. If anybody would like to try some, PM me and I'll get you some with a discount.
I'm running the 10w40 kawasaki oil since new. But this last ride the temperature got up there. Didn't over heat. Was looking around at 5w50 or 15w50 synthetic oil. I run Amsoil in my Allison transmission in my 2019 silverado 3500.
Our summer temps get in the 105s and we do a lot of steep mountain climbing. Thinking thicker oil but don't want to change oil weights during change of seasons. Maybe you can give me some insight on this.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
I'm running the 10w40 kawasaki oil since new. But this last ride the temperature got up there. Didn't over heat. Was looking around at 5w50 or 15w50 synthetic oil. I run Amsoil in my Allison transmission in my 2019 silverado 3500.
Our summer temps get in the 105s and we do a lot of steep mountain climbing. Thinking thicker oil but don't want to change oil weights during change of seasons. Maybe you can give me some insight on this.
There’s a section in the manual that specifies what oil weight you should run based off of temperatures in your area. I can’t remember what 10w40 was but I chose it cause I ride mostly desert. No overheating no temps above 185. And this is horse beating the machine. I really think there is air in your cooling system or a faulty thermostat. My .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Altitude has a lot to do with engine cooling. You are more apt to overheat at 95 degrees at 8000ft elevation than 105 degrees at sea level.
This is true. I don't think many folks realize that. Less air density = less cooling. Haven't really found anything that altitude make work better... :LOL:

·
Registered
247 Posts
20-50 Kawasaki oil,bought it from dealer.actually the parts girl at the dealer flopped the jug on the counter w oil filter when I told her I needed to change the oil.never even asked what weight I wanted.it was over 100 degrees that day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
20-50 Kawasaki oil,bought it from dealer.actually the parts girl at the dealer flopped the jug on the counter w oil filter when I told her I needed to change the oil.never even asked what weight I wanted.it was over 100 degrees that day.
If all of u guys are running synthetic,apparently it doesn’t affect the wet clutch.that was my concern,so I stuck w the Kawasaki oil.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
No matter what weight, type, or brand you decide to run it needs to be JASO MA/MA2 certified. That is the requirement for a wet clutch.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ended up with an email from Amsoil. They recommended doing to 0w40 synthetic at my elevation (5200) and heat index. I'll give that a try and see what temperature I run. Think the 10w40 kawasaki oil just not up for the task of our extreme heat and terrain.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts