Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Gas in Oil

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  hulk 
#1 ·
Hey all. New member and new KRX 1000 owner here. Bought a used machine (2021) with 720ish miles on it. Changed the fluids today after purchase and noticed a prominent gas smell in the engine oil. The drained oil felt slightly diluted as well. Is this normal for these? Original owner had service records that show normal service intervals.

#9 ·
I just noticed the same thing. I was fueling up the other day and noticed my oil level seemed higher than normal. Thinking gas dilution, I checked it for gas smell. It was indeterminate because I just fueled up.

Today, a week later, I noticed my oil is noticeably lower than normal, but well within limits, with the machine parked in the same spot. Checked the oil and got a very strong gas smell. I am running completely stock emissions.

#10 ·
When u guys 1st start them up do u guys just let them sit there to warm up? if u do don't. l will start mine let it idle a couple of seconds then will drive it slow until at operating temps then go for it n drive it normal. but when u start the engine for the 1st time for the day it will use more gas to stay running at idle, if u drive it slow after a couple of seconds after started it will heat up faster n will not need as much fuel to keep it running. if u do let it sit and idle u may notice that ur plugs will be starting to foul out because of that extra fuel from start ups n letting it idle. When its cold out it will be alot worse because ur cold engine will be calling for more fuel. Just saying

#11 ·
Hulk you are correct, its better to start it up and start riding it immediately. I don't know why some guys let theirs warm up for 5-10 minutes, this isn't 1960 with a thremal choke and poorly machined components. If it's -10 outside, okay. Idling after riding makes zero sense too, since we don't have a turbocharger that needs oil. But for whatever reason Kawi chose a EFI system that makes it possible to foul the plugs at idle, part of this is due to the fact they can't raise the idle rpm too much on a cold start otherwise you'd start engaging the clutch. I sent my oil off to a testing lab for my car, and they said they found very little fuel in the oil even though it smelled very heavily of gas. They stated that it's normal for the smell to stay but the fuel to evaporate. So unless your oil is water thin there's nothing to worry about.

#17 · (Edited)
The input here is phenomenal! Thanks for that.

My last oil change I had no noticeable gas odor. Ironically, that was after winter when the KRX did get some idle time as it was started in a colder shop (40f) and let to warm up to low triple digits it was often sub zero outside. I'm in the old school column with that despite the fact that modern lubricants and engines are designed to be start and go in all conditions per EPA regs.
Since the last change, now that it's been warmer, I start (the shop is in the 70s now) and just drive slow out the door until it hits temp before loading too hard and the gas smell is present.

This got me wondering about viscosity, which I would guess would be less if there is substantial gas dilution. Being Mr. science at heart, I put some current gas smelling oil out of the crankcase next to some fresh Kawi oil on a sheet of sloped sheet metal to see if there was a difference in run characteristics. I think I'm OK in that department as they had almost exact run patterns. The case oil is slightly less viscous. Still contemplating sending in a sample. Never ask a service department a question you don't already know the answer to if you can help it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.