Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m guessing the answer is no, but I’d love to find that as well, I don’t even look at it anymore, I just make sure I’m full when I start and then use the trip meter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes, pull the passenger seat, pull the 5" round disk that is your fuel pump assy, and bend the float down 1/4". helps greatly with accuracy.
Oops, forgot about that trick, haven’t done it, I just watch my trip meter and if I get close to 100 miles I start looking for gas

·
Registered
169 Posts
I rode 135 miles on Saturday and it was still running when I got home (no refilling the gas tank) the fuel gauge had been flashing on one bar for the last 45 miles (I had bent the float once before) but it was still not right, I pulled the pump and there was still about an inch of fuel in the tank, I bent the float again so that it was level with the bottom of the fuel strainer housing, this takes quite a bit of finessing so that the arm is not touching any part of the strainer housing, I had to bend it right at the float sharply down to get it where I wanted it..
I put it all back together, turned the key on so I could read the gauge and it was of coarse still flashing 1 bar, I started to slowly fill the tank setting level in my garage and at 1 gallon in the bar stopped flashing, at 5 gallons in it was reading 1\2 tank, and 9 gallons in it was reading full, I then took it out side and parked it on the side of the hill and was able to get 11 gallons in it.
We'll see how it registers on the next ride...
I have the VFJ L2R Ultimate Tune, Force Turbos Muffler, and 33" tires, I was surprised it still had plenty of fuel after 135 miles of pretty hard riding, I had it topped off the same way I got 11 gallons in it
With that being said.......There's a reason behind the madness of the fuel gauge... when it starts flashing 1 bar there is about 4.5 gallons of fuel left but at that point because of the design of the tank it is possible to cavitate the fuel pump (suck air) on a steep incline and damage a cylinder so you don't want to run the tank that low, 135 miles was pushing it for me and I will continue to fill up at about 100 miles, I just wanted to see how the gauge works and see if I could make it accurate with my tweaks which it appears I did... but I will use caution to not run it that low unless I make some modifications to the fuel pickup.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
Good point, I didn’t make the connection until you mentioned it.

My Tundra truck has a 26 gallon tank and when the gauge is screaming at me it takes 20 gallons to fill up. Toyota doesn’t want you to ever starve the fuel pickup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out replacing the roll over value on the gas vent line behind the drivers seat. They tend to stick and will cause that suction effect when you crack open the gas cap - i got tired of opening it every 20 miles or so, seems the stock valve tends to stick closed so it throws the gas gauge off. I got my replacement off of ebay. (Amazon didn't have them)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check out replacing the roll over value on the gas vent line behind the drivers seat. They tend to stick and will cause that suction effect when you crack open the gas cap - i got tired of opening it every 20 miles or so, seems the stock valve tends to stick closed so it throws the gas gauge off. I got my replacement off of ebay. (Amazon didn't have them)
Tank Pressure has absolutely no effect on the fuel gauge reading.... I've never had any issues with tank pressure..

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
I did that rollover vent mod and it did not help the accuracy of the fuel gauge. It didn’t hurt it though.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
the KRX has a fuel gauge? Never noticed. When my left but cheek starts to go numb i pull over to stretch and then I check the gas tank with a flash light. Which reminds me the engine has a sight glass why cant I get one on the gas tank:eek:

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
385 Posts
the KRX has a fuel gauge? Never noticed. When my left but cheek starts to go numb i pull over to stretch and then I check the gas tank with a flash light. Which reminds me the engine has a sight glass why cant I get one on the gas tank:eek:
True story!

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
176 Posts

Lol! That's funny.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
It is actually really hilarious and unfortunately real too. It is about 45-90 minutes of sitting that causes my left hip to pinch blood flow. What is really funny though is when I fall out of KRX because my leg is dead. If ya can't laugh at yourself then your not fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone have a hack to make the gas gage somewhere close to accurate?
The problem is ......your gas tank runs on both sides of your hump in your consol and when you tilt the Machine gas runs to one side and then your gas Gauge strats asking up .....I am not for sure witch side it Registers from but the next time you are out pull up on a hill sideways and see how your Gauge does if it drops then you know witch side is your gauge reads on so when it asks up just fine a hill and run up on it the other side and see if your Gauge doesn't go back reading right again........there is nothing that can be done about it this is kawasaki mass up ......they should have made the Gauge to run off both sides but they only made it to run off one side .......but if kawasaki would have put in lines that run on both side in to one line up to Gauge this would not be going on but they didn't do it that way so this is what we got going on.......

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,298 Posts
The problem is ......your gas tank runs on both sides of your hump in your consol and when you tilt the Machine gas runs to one side and then your gas Gauge strats asking up .....I am not for sure witch side it Registers from but the next time you are out pull up on a hill sideways and see how your Gauge does if it drops then you know witch side is your gauge reads on so when it asks up just fine a hill and run up on it the other side and see if your Gauge doesn't go back reading right again........there is nothing that can be done about it this is kawasaki mass up ......they should have made the Gauge to run off both sides but they only made it to run off one side .......but if kawasaki would have put in lines that run on both side in to one line up to Gauge this would not be going on but they didn't do it that way so this is what we got going on.......
The sending unit is on the passenger side under the seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So we were out riding the gravel and dirt roads in the flint hills and as I was unloading, my gas gage went to last bar, and then it turned red. I rode it down to the gas station and filled it up. 111 miles and it took 8.02 gallons of gas. Most of the miles were between 40 and 55 mph. I had just installed the roll over valve before we went riding. The problem with the gas gage is that it didn't move off of full until we had ridden 55 miles! It was pretty warm and I noticed I was at 3 bars on the cvt belt gage. This is the highest I've seen but we were on a county road that was paved and running 55/60 mph. I guess we'll just figure on having a safe 100 mile limit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tank Pressure has absolutely no effect on the fuel gauge reading.... I've never had any issues with tank pressure..
That's what I thought until...I just added the tank vent (rollover) valve and now my gage reads completely different. I had previously bent the float rod and it was working great. I will bend the rod back to stock and see how it works. I am still puzzling over how the float could behave differently from relieving pressure or vacuum. Maybe just a coincidence but night and day difference immediately after adding the valve. IT was a nice steady decent to half tank not a drop in 2 min. from full to half.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know that it shouldn't affect it. But my last machine (arctic cat trail) sucked mud up into the relief valve clogging it. My tank was over pressurizing and it was messing up the guage indication. Replaced valve indication was normal. The krx I did the rollover valve and the indication is still bad. Going to try bending float. Also will sucking some air into the fuel pump really going to lean out the fuel mixture enough to damage anything? As someone posted.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
I did the rollover valve and never noticed anything different with the fuel gage accuracy. I haven’t bent the float rod.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts