Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that if you want to stand out and be different from EVERYONE, just take your KRX up into the Black Hills of South Dakota. I just spent a week up there riding, and did not see another KRX the entire time. There are SxS's everywhere up there, mainly RZR's and Yamaha's, with some Canam's thrown in as well. Not a single KRX was seen other than mine. I got a lot of looks, and drew a couple of crowds when we would stop somewhere.
You ride a fair amount of paved roads there, and that probably explains part of the reason the KRX isn't a popular machine there. Road riding sucks, and even more so in a low geared, high revving, loud KRX. Anywhere from 5-15 miles of paved road riding to connect trails, or to get back to camp, is very common. Give me a RZR or an X3 if I'm going to be running roads regularly. Thank goodness I threw in a bunch of ear plugs before we left... We did do a stretch of about 18 miles in 95 degree heat at around 50-55 mph. Belt temperature never got above 3 bars on the gauge.
The BFG KM3's handled it great. They make no more noise than the tires on your pickup make, and showed no extra wear from running the tar. Seven of the nine machines in our group were running them. (The wolverine in the pictures was a rental unit. My friend's new RZR wasn't delivered in time before the trip)

Black Hills 2021

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
86 Posts
Nice Bob, my brother and dad are going up to sturgis in a couple weeks

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well mine was in the garage because I was at work. There are a couple of rental companies up here that rent KRX's, but your right, there are not very many. Most guys are surprised that I can keep up to their turbo cars, since mine handles so much better on this terrain. Looks like you were in the Sturgis area, lots of trails further south where you don't ride so much pavement.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well mine was in the garage because I was at work. There are a couple of rental companies up here that rent KRX's, but your right, there are not very many. Most guys are surprised that I can keep up to their turbo cars, since mine handles so much better on this terrain. Looks like you were in the Sturgis area, lots of trails further south where you don't ride so much pavement.
We were in the Nemo area. We did wind up in Sturgis for lunch. Left from Nemo one morning and and managed to make it a 30 mile ride to Sturgis with only 5 miles of pavement riding. Headed back on trails from Camp 5 through Galena out to 385 to 404 back to Nemo. Next time we head up there I think we will look to stay and ride a little further south. We've ridden this area twice now and have seen about all there is to see. Beautiful country, but the scenery never changes. Hopefully find some trails that offer some challenging terrain. I put it in 4x4 one time because we came across some large mud puddles coming off of 8043 on 170.5I and I wasn't sure how deep/soft the bottom was. We have ridden the area from Custer Peak north to Deadwood, east to Sturgis and south just past Nemo. We hit the Sugar Shack for lunch on our last ride. I'm thinking we need to look south between Nemo and Custer for some trails next time we head up that way.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Bob, my brother and dad are going up to sturgis in a couple weeks
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that area in a couple of weeks while the rally is going on. They say they are expecting upwards of 1 million people up there this year. No thank you! That's just not my scene.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts