Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...new to forum from MT, about 500 miles on the '20 KRX. Curious if anyone has snapped their front driveshaft, I couldn't find mention anywhere when I searched? Mine broke off at the front u-joint yoke at the front differential. I had my front diff locked and climbed a fairly steep embankment with 3/4ish throttle so I wouldn't get high centered. When my front tires came into contact with the ground there was a snap and then a rattle under the machine. We pulled the passenger side in-cab inspection panel and sure enough it was sheared off.
Is this a weak point or operator error with the frond diff locked?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
256 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would say it was a combination of driver error and a weak point. Most machines would break an axle when a wheel under power leaves the ground, and then hits the ground still under power. Got to get out of the throttle when wheels come off the ground.
With the stout axles Kawasaki uses on the KRX, it appears the axle is stronger than the driveshaft. I have read about a few people who have broken the driveshaft at that same location. Don't know if they all had the front diff. locked when it happened. That's a question I will have to ask when I see reports about the driveshaft breaking again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
tough call.. not uncommon when rock crawling or steep clime for a wheel to be in the air.. who knows could have been fatigued from a previous run.. I did spot this same thing happening to another krx but may have been on the Teryx forum.. I would definitely turn it in for warranty.. most likely will cover it but if not a driveline shop is good option!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info! Thanks for the post. What power mode were you using?
I was in Low and diff was locked. Dealer covered under warranty no questions asked. Good traction on landing with a good bit of throttle was the likely cause, as stated above...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was in Low and diff was locked. Dealer covered under warranty no questions asked. Good traction on landing with a good bit of throttle was the likely cause, as stated above...
Just watched a video where two different RZR's snapped driveshaft and axles on a nasty rock climb. Both broke in the same spot on the trail after a launch up a ledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts